• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking to buy gallo (Rooster)UUWS

Dominicana

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where to buy gallo/rooster on the upper west side? I'm in Inwood where we suffer without a decent fish market, butcher or supermarket. I'd be willing to go pretty far downtown for it if anyone can point me in the right direction.

-A

Hi Dominicana and welcome to eGullet. I don't know about the UWS, but I know they can be had in Chinatown. Unfortunately, I didn't get them myself so i can't tell you exactly where. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

How are you planning on using them?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Hi Dominicana and welcome to eGullet. I don't know about the UWS, but I know they can be had in Chinatown. Unfortunately, I didn't get them myself so i can't tell you exactly where. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

How are you planning on using them?

Thanks Doc.

I was hoping not to make the hike to Chinatown. There is a live poultry place on 10th and 204th but the conditions there are not the greatest. And, sometimes when you buy rooster, its the one who just lost. :biggrin:

I am planning on braising them in a tomato based sauce. Similar to pollo guisado if youve had that but the rooster has a much more meaty gamey flavor. Closer to beef than chicken in final taste.

A year ago we made coq au vin with roosters obtained from Chinatown. I would have loved to have been there for the procurement. I'm sure it would have been interesting. You are right about the flavor and texture. It worked nicely in the slow braise with plenty of marinade time.

Good luck.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A year ago we made coq au vin with roosters obtained from Chinatown. I would have loved to have been there for the procurement. I'm sure it would have been interesting. You are right about the flavor and texture. It worked nicely in the slow braise with plenty of marinade time.

Good luck.

You're welcome to go yourself next time. We told some good stories when we came back from that procurement, but I would just assume never go back there. Though the butchering area looked as clean as an operating room, the area where the birds were caged was pretty disgusting. My next rooster will come from a poultry farm on the East End.

Edited by JosephB (log)

Good luck.

You're welcome to go yourself next time. We told some good stories when we came back from that procurement, but I would just assume never go back there. Though the butchering area looked as clean as an operating room, the area were the birds were caged was pretty disgusting. My next rooster will come from a poultry farm on the East End.

Exactly Joseph, I wound up getting it at a live poultry place on Post and 10th ave. The meat looks amazing after the fact but I will never go back, the place was disgusting and the smell was awful...not to mention the thing looked at me...I will never go back.

The last live poultry place I remember passing was not far east of Broadway on Grand Street, but that was a few years ago and I never went in. I think it was the smell that kept me out. I do remember buying a live rabbit on Broome Street just west of West Broadway. That would have been over thirty years ago and I don't think the place continued in business much longer after that. It was a small operation and I don't recall it being disgusting.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.