• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chunky things in your drinks

torakris

growing up, my mom made some drink with shredded cantalope/or honeydew, sugar & water. Delicious! I'm not sure if this is specific to Philippines or not. Just thinking of it brings back memories.

I remember that drink! My mom always made it in the summertime. So icy and refreshing. I especially loved the handmade tool that was used to scrape the cataloupe flesh into long, spaghetti-like strands. Scraping the melon was always the best part!

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

• 2 weeks later...

I like drinks with texture. Horchata isn't quite chunky, but it leaps to mind.

There was an Asian shop in Berkeley that made the most amazing chunky drinks, and I haven't found another place like it. Stuff like warm grass jelly, by itself or with chunks of something like taro, sago, and red bean. You could get fresh fruit shakes with chunks of many different "jellies" (e.g. lychee). And of course bubble tea (the boba, when done right, should be tender but not mucusy).

This is one of my favorite drinks:

gallery_19804_437_22552.jpg

There are chunks of coconut in it.

Ever try the frozen young coconut versions? Much, much better, in my opinion. The bits of coconut meat are huge, and the drinks even come with a little fork with which to eat the coconut.

Oh, they're usually found in the freezer sections, though they are meant to be defrosted. I like them a little frozen, though, because they they're like a slush.

See the top right picture here for a look, though this picture has the old packaging. It's much fancier now.

I have been known to eat the slice/wedge/etc. of citrus fruit garnishing my beverage. Peel and all. Yeah, I know it sounds kinda weird. I just think of it as instant marmelade without the sugar. :laugh:

Heh, thought I was the only one! I like to sprinkle a little sugar on it.

I tend to "shred" a lemon slice into water, 'cause I like the chunkies.

'course I'm strange....

Bubble tea is GROSS.