• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flying Dog Beers

Susan in FL

Flying Dog is available in central Florida and has been for a while -- at least some of them. That made me assume that they aren't very good, but I was wrong. This beer is decent. We've had only two so far, the Snake Dog Ale IPA and the Doggie-Style Classic Pale Ale. My first taste of the IPA was almost too bitter for me, and that's saying something. To borrow a line from my husband... It was almost hoppy enough to chew. The Pale Ale was much of the same flavor, but not as amped up. I'd like to find the K-9 Cruiser Altitude Ale. I haven't seen that yet. I'll probably try the Porter next. It is available.

Any Flying Dog recommendations?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We had a strike a year and a half ago which greatly affected shipping of product from the major canadian brewers. This was a good thing since it meant the LDB had to find some alternate products, they stocked more craft brewed products. Flying Dog was one. But they only had Old Scratch (an amber lager) that I found. And I have to say it was quite mediocre. It certainly wasn't bad but nothing special. For all the interesting malts (munich and dark crystal) it tasted suprisingly bland. It might have been a travel issue though.

I could be in the minority in this opinion since it has shown very well at GABF in 2004 and 2005.

I've been drinking them for years. I'm a big fan of the snake biter ale.

Drink heartily because they are charming beers.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

We had a strike a year and a half ago which greatly affected shipping of product from the major canadian brewers.  This was a good thing since it meant the LDB had to find some alternate products, they stocked more craft brewed products.  Flying Dog was one.  But they only had Old Scratch (an amber lager) that I found.  And I have to say it was quite mediocre.  It certainly wasn't bad but nothing special.  For all the interesting malts (munich and dark crystal) it tasted suprisingly bland.  It might have been a travel issue though. 

I could be in the minority in this opinion since it has shown very well at GABF in 2004 and 2005.

Please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but when you said "we" had a strike, what did that mean, and what is LDB? It's probably that my head is especially thick right now, and I'll be embarrassed, but I am interested to know what you're talking about. Thanks! :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We had a strike a year and a half ago which greatly affected shipping of product from the major canadian brewers.  This was a good thing since it meant the LDB had to find some alternate products, they stocked more craft brewed products.  Flying Dog was one.  But they only had Old Scratch (an amber lager) that I found.  And I have to say it was quite mediocre.  It certainly wasn't bad but nothing special.  For all the interesting malts (munich and dark crystal) it tasted suprisingly bland.  It might have been a travel issue though. 

Please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but when you said "we" had a strike, what did that mean, and what is LDB? It's probably that my head is especially thick right now, and I'll be embarrassed, but I am interested to know what you're talking about. Thanks! :smile:

I could definitely have been more explanatory. "We" being the royal we. There was a strike of a canadian trucking union which affected mostly the distribution of macroswill. And the LDB is the liquor distribution branch. All distribution of alchohol is requlated by a central provincial body here. They run the stores, and license a few private stores. It's better in some provinces than others. In BC we have a mediocre beer selection compared to Ontario, and in Alberta the distribution and sales of beer and wine are very open, almost private. Much less regulated. For instance in the main regional area of Vancouver there is only one LDB branch that is open on Sunday (that I'm aware of). This means it is VERY difficult to purchase quality beer/wine on Sunday. Alberta has a beer store in every mini-mall, and they stock better breweries not just macroswill.

Mark.