• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Standard Tap

Jeff L

I'll agree with Jeff L, except that The Standard Tap is on Second street!

Of course, if the crowd is just too much there, he can indeed retreat up a block west to 3rd and Brown, to the place called North Third and still get good local beer and well-made food. It's not much more organized there, but I've generally been able to find a table if we got squeezed out at Standard Tap.

Oops, sorry about that Jenny, it is indeed on 2nd and Poplar.

I used to love the Tap, but about a year ago I stopped going there very often and about six months ago, I stopped going all together. I still like their burger, but the rest of the food has really lost it's punch. In it's heyday, it was great and innovative but I stopped seeing Paul, the chef/owner there and I could really taste the lack of attention and excitement in their food. It sounds like maybe their food is back now. I'll have to check it out again.

My current faves are:

Amada - Everything I've had has been good.

Royal Tavern - Their food is better than Monk's and Tap (and their fries are the best in the city).

Society Hill Hotel - Their burger is great (much better than Sassafras who often wins Best of Philly for their burger!?!).

Gianfranco's in South Philly - Great Pizza and great toppings.

Sarcone's Deli - The Ave Maria is the best tuna salad sandwich I've ever eaten.

Alec

PS. I suggest Royal Tavern over Standard Tap, especially for a group, but neither takes reservations and both are very busy on the weekends.

Hi All

My husband is going to be in Philly next week on businees.  One of the guys he is travelling with is getting married the next weekend.  They want to take out on the last night for a kind of bachelor party I guess.  They just really want to take him out to have some beers and good food.  Something casual, not too rowdy and not a sit down dinner as such.  From what I've read this place sounds perfect.  What are your thoughts?  Also, where is it located?

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

Jenny:

I don't know how large or how mobile the group is, but the Grey Lodge is a short ride from Center City and has fabulous beers and excellent food, if that's what they're after. Definitely the best choice if that's their criteria.

Other pub type choices in town would be the Dark Horse (2nd Street) or the Black Sheep (17th Street), which are quite similar (same ownership) and have decent bar grub and decent beer. Monk's has the best beer selection in the city but is a nightmare to get into on the weekends. Ten Stone is a good option too, as is Grace Tavern. Not sure what the new chef at Royal Tavern has done to upset Buckethead (or his sources) but as previously mentioned the no-reservation policy would probably be more of an issue than the food not being up to snuff for someone that's never been there before. I have no doubt the ownership hired a competent replacement chef, but maybe his menu changes aren't going over well with the old regulars? :shrug:

London Grill also has a great bar and great bar food. It's located in the Art Museum area and is a very short cab ride from Center City. They would be able to take a reservation for a table or perhaps a table in the area nearest the bar (I think they call those the "Cafe Tables") if the group is bigger than would fit at a tall cocktail table in the bar.

There are posts about all of these various choices if you search the names of the restaurants within the PA forum. That should help your husband narrow it down once he's read the reviews for himself. I hope these suggestions are helpful. Let us know where they ended up and if they liked it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi All

My husband is going to be in Philly next week on businees.  One of the guys he is travelling with is getting married the next weekend.  They want to take out on the last night for a kind of bachelor party I guess.  They just really want to take him out to have some beers and good food.  Something casual, not too rowdy and not a sit down dinner as such.  From what I've read this place sounds perfect.  What are your thoughts?  Also, where is it located?

Standard's tough to get a table on weekends. The tactic is to have someone hover in the second room and grab the big booth under the "postcard' painting right when someone leaves.

If Standard is completely completely packed, you could always walk 20 min or take a 3 minute cabride up 2nd street to Johnny Brenda's, which have the same owners as the Tap.

Alternately, you could put your name in at N 3rd, go down the street to Abbaye, Tap, Liberties, W&J, Fire, or Pat Robertson's for a drink, come back in time for your name to get called.

Abbaye normally isn't completely packed. Azure also has cheap drinks and bar-type food.

Wherever you go, you're in a pretty good area to bar-hop.

Edited by stephenc (log)

Thank You all for all the help. It is going to 5 people on tuesday night, will that make a difference on how busy it gets? From what I've read, it seems if they have a problem getting into the Tap they are not too far from other good alternatives.

Thank You all for all the help.  It is going to 5 people on tuesday night, will that make a difference on how busy it gets?  From what I've read, it seems if they have a problem getting into the Tap they are not too far from other good alternatives.

They should have no problem at all getting into the Tap on a Tuesday night.

Thank You all for all the help.  It is going to 5 people on tuesday night, will that make a difference on how busy it gets?  From what I've read, it seems if they have a problem getting into the Tap they are not too far from other good alternatives.

Johnny Brenda's, also owned by the Tap folks is a great alternative, but it's a lot "divier" and definitely not in a neighborhood I'd walk to at night, especially in a strange city. If they decide to go there if the Tap is too crowded they should take a cab.

Otherwise there's a bunch of other alternatives within a two block radius.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Johnny Brenda's, also owned by the Tap folks is a great alternative, but it's a lot "divier" and definitely not in a neighborhood I'd walk to at night, especially in a strange city. If they decide to go there if the Tap is too crowded they should take a cab.

Otherwise there's a bunch of other alternatives within a two block radius.

And it's a hefty, unrealistic walk from ST to Johnny Brenda's.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Not sure what the new chef at Royal Tavern has done to upset Buckethead (or his sources) but as previously mentioned the no-reservation policy would probably be more of an issue than the food not being up to snuff for someone that's never been there before. I have no doubt the ownership hired a competent replacement chef, but maybe his menu changes aren't going over well with the old regulars? :shrug:

I know what they've done to upset me -- served me so-so to dreadful food on more than a half-dozen occasions. The place is close to my neighborhood and because of my schedule I often wind up wanting dinner late, I keep trying...entrees, apps, specials, but even the items that ARE from the old menu are not up to snuff. Last time, the fries were unseasoned, limp and soggy.

What specifically do you like about N 3rd? I walked in one day and left after not being acknowledged at the bar for about 10 minutes. There weren't too many other patrons at the bar and it just really soured me to the place. It's been a while and I might be tempted to try it again if your food reviws are tempting.

I've never had a problem being acknowledged at the bar...maybe I've just lucked out, but I've always had bartenders that were great. Friendly without being instrusive.

As for the food, I just think that they've really nailed what I want in gastropubby food. Standard dishes like sandwiches and soups with attention-to-detail upgrades like using fresh herbs and great produce. I liked the careful hand with the seasoning -- enough, but not out with something to prove. Specials that are more ambitious than pub food without getting too overwrought. All about the good ingredients in nifty combinations. A few different ethnic inspirations is a plus for me, too.

Not sure what the new chef at Royal Tavern has done to upset Buckethead (or his sources) but as previously mentioned the no-reservation policy would probably be more of an issue than the food not being up to snuff for someone that's never been there before. I have no doubt the ownership hired a competent replacement chef, but maybe his menu changes aren't going over well with the old regulars? :shrug:

I know what they've done to upset me -- served me so-so to dreadful food on more than a half-dozen occasions. The place is close to my neighborhood and because of my schedule I often wind up wanting dinner late, I keep trying...entrees, apps, specials, but even the items that ARE from the old menu are not up to snuff. Last time, the fries were unseasoned, limp and soggy.

Okay. There's a direct criticism I can understand, not a vague statement based on heresay. I could be wrong. Maybe the new chef ISN'T competent. I've been wrong before, and undoubtedly will be again sometime soon.

That's a damned shame. Royal was a go to for me for a couple of drinks and a nice bite to eat. <sigh> Good thing Ben McNamara is back at the New Wave. There's still good bar grub to be had in my 'hood.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Okay. There's a direct criticism I can understand, not a vague statement based on heresay. I could be wrong. Maybe the new chef ISN'T competent. I've been wrong before, and undoubtedly will be again sometime soon.

That's a damned shame. Royal was a go to for me for a couple of drinks and a nice bite to eat. <sigh> Good thing Ben McNamara is back at the New Wave. There's still good bar grub to be had in my 'hood.

Has Dark Horse definitely gone to Heck, then? I haven't been there since he left, but it was darn decent for a while there...

• 1 month later...

I'm brand spanking new to this forum (in fact, this is my first post!), and found this thread intriguing. I've been wanting to venture up to the Standard Tap since I first learned about it in May (I've also only recently moved to the area, so have a lot more to learn!), but I conjure up this idea of a very smokey bar serving great local beer and good food to boot. The excellent tap selection and food entice me, but the smoke assumption has been enough to keep me away to date. Am I crazy for thinking that the Standard Tap will be smoke filled, or is there actually a bar in Philly that caters to foodies... and by default keeps the smoke out?

Looking forward to a long term relationship with this excellent community--particularly the Chairman's Select thread which is full of valuable resources!!!! Who knew the Chairman himself would be such an active participate! AWESOME!

I'm brand spanking new to this forum (in fact, this is my first post!), and found this thread intriguing.  I've been wanting to venture up to the Standard Tap since I first learned about it in May (I've also only recently moved to the area, so have a lot more to learn!), but I conjure up this idea of a very smokey bar serving great local beer and good food to boot.  The excellent tap selection and food entice me, but the smoke assumption has been enough to keep me away to date.  Am I crazy for thinking that the Standard Tap will be smoke filled, or is there actually a bar in Philly that caters to foodies... and by default keeps the smoke out? 

Looking forward to a long term relationship with this excellent community--particularly the Chairman's Select thread which is full of valuable resources!!!!  Who knew the Chairman himself would be such an active participate!  AWESOME!

I believe the back dining room area on the second floor is smoke free. For sure the bar areas are smokey, expecially the second floor. But they recently opened up a large dining area that I eat at often and do not remember smoke being an issue. My fav dinner there is the duck salad and mussels and sausage. It is the best in the city. This is coming from someone that worked at Le Bec and the Fountain. I am a bit of a food snob and ST is one of my favorite places to eat. Brunch rocks too!

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Ongoing Royal report:

I was going to post yesterday to say that I was pleased to find that the offerings seem to be even-ing out a bit at Royal, even if they do still tend toward oversalting. And then I tasted truly dreadful "potato soup" last night that tasted like thickened chicken bouillon and a truly bizarre amount of ground pepper.

However, I've had several specials that were quite good, including truly great steak tacos, classic French frisee salad (w/poached egg and sherry vinaigrette) and several good soups, including a bacon/potato and "three lilies" (think multiple members of the onion family.)

I'm going to stick with "uneven" as a judgment, though this is a big step above my previous assessment of "bleh!"

• 11 months later...

*bump*

Imagine my surpise and delight when my January 2007 issue of Bon Appetit arrived in the mail today and amongst their "Best of the Year" trends they mentioned gastropubs. The main thrust of that section was our very own Standard Tap, featuring several recipes from Chef Carolynn Angle. In the sidebar about five other gastropubs around the country are mentioned and Grace Tavern gets a nod as well. We have seemingly cornered the market on great gastropubs in Philly! YAY!!

Congrats to Chef Angle and the staff at Standard Tap. We always knew you were world class! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, you beat me to this post. Congratulations to the Standard Tap and particularly Chef Angle on this nod from Bon Appetite.

I'm going to try the Cornish Hens recipe in the magazine this weekend.

• 10 months later...

Just came back from dinner.

It was loud and crowded, but at least not smoky!

We sat on the first floor, haven't been there for dinner for awhile.

(go for brunch lately)

We ordered an apple, goat cheese, walnut, bacon salad to split.

Then we ordered one rib-eye and foie dinner.

Enough to feed a family of 6. Okay, maybe 4.

Huge. Tasty. A bit fatty in a good way. Cooked medium rare.

Tasty, but I kind of wanted even more beef taste. Served with a button mushroom red wine sauce.

And onion rings and sweet potato chips.

Bottle of Cline Syrah.

Total: $60 without tip.

Good grub.

P.S.-We were all set to go to Modo Mio, called, and they were fully booked! Who woulda thunk?

Northern Liberties BYOB Italian, on a Thursday night? Tap was packed too, and the server that we knew said this was the first busy night in awhile. I guess the weather turns cool, and people come out again.

Philly Francophiles

MERDE!

I can't believe I forgot the most important ingredient of all!!!!!!!!!

Foie!

Yes, it was a Rib-eye and Foie entree.

I just re-read what I wrote, and CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THAT!

It was a smallish (normal size) piece of foie on top of the steak.

Delicious.

Probably left over from the $5 foie week.

But who cares. It was delicious.

Edited to spell delicious right.

Edited by TarteTatin (log)

Philly Francophiles

• 5 weeks later...

Went to ST last night and had one of the best hanger steaks I've had in a LONG time. Perfect medium rare goodness with a big pile of their delicious fries. A waitress had come to our table to tell us that there was a problem with the kitchen printer and that our orders had been lost, so she took our orders again. This was odd because our food came out about 3 seconds later. Anyway, we got a round of shots on the house for the perceived inconvenience. A nice gesture considering that we thought nothing was wrong.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Their hangar steak rocks! I love how those frites sop up that juice perfectly. I still get the smelts as an appetizer. I don't think their's a better hangar in the city. Damn! I'm starving now.

• 2 weeks later...

had a way overcooked burger, asked for medium, what's the temp after well done called? fries i don't know maybe sat in the window too long either that or fried the life out of them, they were completely cooked through, thought i chipped a tooth.

oh yeah and chicken pot pie, which was hot, served on top of a cold mixed green salad, maybe i didnt eat it fast enough but the greens got all wilted.

all this and 2 drinks for over $40 plus tip, i guess thats why i dont go out to eat much.

hmmm, just last week I had an absolutely banging hanger steak, properly medium rare, with great fries. So they can put stuff out at temperature. A couple friends had the chicken pot pie and loved it, even the greens...

I guess any place can stumble at any given moment, but I've been surprised how consistently great it's been for me.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com