• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gina's Bakery

Cook456

After strolling the Montclair Farmer's Market, today, I drove up Walnut St and noticed a place called Gina's Bakery. What a find! Wonderful breads, muffins, foccacia, upside down plum tarts..

I'm enjoying an apricot and cranberry scone...yum!

After strolling the Montclair Farmer's Market, today, I drove up Walnut St and noticed a place called Gina's Bakery.  What a find!  Wonderful breads, muffins, foccacia, upside down plum tarts..

I'm enjoying an apricot  and cranberry scone...yum!

Swell-looking place, & they have coffees, but no tea. Unfathomable.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

After strolling the Montclair Farmer's Market, today, I drove up Walnut St and noticed a place called Gina's Bakery.  What a find!  Wonderful breads, muffins, foccacia, upside down plum tarts..

I'm enjoying an apricot  and cranberry scone...yum!

Swell-looking place, & they have coffees, but no tea. Unfathomable.

Agreed... ;-) I'm a tea drinker, too!!

Edited by Cook456 (log)

And here I must apologize to Gina's. It was not Gina's that had no tea, but the little bakery/cafe across the street. I didn't realize that there were 2 somewhat similar places in the same block till yesterday.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Correct--Montclair Bread Co, iirc. I have to say that while I've been disappointed with some of the MBC stuff, Gina's ROCKS. I stopped in there yesterday and picked up a cranberry scone and a piece of their brioche toast, which is soaked in an oj-based syrup, then glazed and sprinkled with sliced almonds. DIVINE is really the only fair descriptive for the brioche; will likely have the scone for breakfast tomorrow.

Everything in the place is simply stunning, btw--well worth stopping in there!! And the official name is Gina's Panificio--didn't know that until the first time I went. They're all of a 1/2 block east of Egan's Pub, so it's well worth the trip to that part of town! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Correct--Montclair Bread Co, iirc.  I have to say that while I've been disappointed with some of the MBC stuff, Gina's ROCKS.  I stopped in there yesterday and picked up a cranberry scone and a piece of their brioche toast, which is soaked in an oj-based syrup, then glazed and sprinkled with sliced almonds.  DIVINE is really the only fair descriptive for the brioche; will likely have the scone for breakfast tomorrow. 

Everything in the place is simply stunning, btw--well worth stopping in there!!  And the official name is Gina's Panificio--didn't know that until the first time I went.  They're all of a 1/2 block east of Egan's Pub, so it's well worth the trip to that part of town!   :wink:

I've been disppointed by some of the MBC stuff, too. Although, the zucchini foccicia that they sell at the Farmer's Market is downright tasty. All the other stuff tends to be too dry. Can't figure why. I use whole wheat flour in some of my baking, and it doesn't come out as dry as theirs.

The Brioche Toast at Gina's did look good. Guess I'll have to try it the next time I'm there. While I liked the scone, I have to admit that I am a sucker for the Lemon Poppy Scones at Whole Foods.

While I was at Gina's, the last time, someone was buying a dozen of their corm muffins, and said they were fabulous. The guy behind the counter even offered to warm one for him. Now how's that for service!!! They definitely have my attention!

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Isn't Nicolo's bakery closeby? I've been there twice, and their bread is the best I've had; better even than Calandras.

I don't really care for Calandra's bread. Then again, I'm spoiled having practically grown up in the back room of Marie's Bakery in Hoboken. There is nothing like hot bread just as it comes out of the oven..

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Isn't Nicolo's bakery closeby? I've been there twice, and their bread is the best I've had; better even than Calandras.

Not all that close, they're down on Baldwin just off Glenridge Ave., several blocks below Grove.

But yes, they do have the goods.

Haven't been online for ages but I am now in the Clifton area and found an excellent small bakery called The Village Bakery. I think it is on Van Houten and Broad street , just down the street a bit from the Clifton Charlie Browns. Their bread and cider doughnuts are a little too good to be located a little too close to my new home. So disappointed with the Allwood Bakery of my childhood.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I've been disppointed by some of the MBC stuff, too.  Although, the zucchini foccicia that they sell at the Farmer's Market is downright tasty.  All the other stuff tends to be too dry.  Can't figure why.  I use whole wheat flour in some of my baking, and it doesn't come out as dry as theirs.

The MBC staff doesn't take well to criticism, either. The proprietress was most displeased when, in response to her question, I told her the olive bread was twice dry as sawdust and I had no plans to purchase any more.

I'll give them points for support of organic products, community activities, and feminist causes, but the stuff should not taste like sawdust.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

This is interesting, b/c I really like the carrot/raisin muffins that MBC sells at the Farmer's Market, but I once bought a loaf of one of their multigrain breads, and it was so dry that I tossed it. Bleah.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Hi. My name is Curlz, and I'm officially addicted to Gina's. Let me hear it...HI, CURLZ! :wacko: And it's not JUST b/c the counter guy is so cute, either. PFFT!

This is now at least a weekly stop for me, and since I was at the Montclair FM again today, well, I went to Gina's. Big news--they're going to start a mail order 'division'! I know that's not important for those of us in the area, but it's great for former Montclair-area residents who are missing those treats.

Meanwhile, they're already taking orders for T-Day; there's a limited number of pies, muffins and breads b/c they get do such a huge amount that week. All orders have to be in by 11/17. And they'll be open on T-Day from 10am-2pm.

Hi.  My name is Curlz, and I'm officially addicted to Gina's.  Let me hear it...HI, CURLZ!  :wacko:  And it's not JUST b/c the counter guy is so cute, either.  PFFT!

This is now at least a weekly stop for me, and since I was at the Montclair FM again today, well, I went to Gina's.  Big news--they're going to start a mail order 'division'!  I know that's not important for those of us in the area, but it's great for former Montclair-area residents who are missing those treats.

Meanwhile, they're already taking orders for T-Day; there's a limited number of pies, muffins and breads b/c they get do such a huge amount that week.  All orders have to be in by 11/17.  And they'll be open on T-Day from 10am-2pm.

Hey Curlz,

What did you pick up today?

Duh. Forgot that info, huh? :laugh: More of those corn-jalapeno-cream cheese muffins and one of the potato focaccias...the woman ahead of me sadly bought the last zucchini one, which I had my eye on, but seeing how quickly they all seem to sell, I went with my second choice. Will let you know how it is!