• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best kougelhopf in Paris?

mukki

As part of our upcoming trip to Paris, I'd really like to try some kougelhopf. I've read about Patisserie Lerch in Linda Dannenberg's book and saw that David Lebovitz mentioned Vandermeersch (although I don't know if I'll get to this place since it's a little out of the way).

Any other thoughts on good places to sample? I've only made kougelhopf at home and I thought it was ok. Wondering how much better it gets.

Let me digress and point out that there seems to be a variety of recipes for kougelhopf ;only the shape is constant. Our local German bakery turns out a satisfactory version, but quite different and far and away the best I've had (on a number of occasions over the years; the last a couple of weeks ago on a stopover in LA) is at the Hillcrest Country Club (always available). Since you appear to be from Los Angeles, try to enlist the cooperation of a member. (not a member myself). I will be in Paris in two weeks. One place I like is the bakery cafe of Eric Kayser at 85 Boulevard Malesherbes. I enjoy the simple healthy "California" cuisine there as a respite on occasion. From the name Kayser I suspect Alsatian origins. I don't know if they have kougelhopf but I would expect that they do.

Pâtisserie Lerch, sadly, doesn't exist anymore.

Yes, Kayser also makes kugelhopf, which always leaves me underwhelmed (too dry). BTW the main Kayser bakery is on rue Monge, near place Maubert. I think their breads are better than their pastries.

Try Stohrer, 51, rue Montorgueil. If there's a best kugelhopf in Paris, this should be the one.

There's also the Pierre Hermé kugelhopf; Pierre's from Alsace, so they should be okay.

Edited by Ptipois (log)