• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Design

coxcrpr

I am researching a project on restaurant design in Southern California. Where have you kids gone that has really impressed you? Did the food live up to design? The service? Did the experience live up to its press? Do you recommend places to friends or business associates because of the look of the place...if so, does it depend upon who the person is or how important the meeting? Does "age of the dining group" enter into this decision? I have studied Zagat's decor ratings, but need quite a bit more information. Thank You.

coxcrpr,

Welcome to the California forum!

For your information, this "kid" is officially old. If you want to call me "kid," your age will have to be somewhere between 45 and death. :wink: Back to topic ...

As Alton Brown would say, "I'm just here for the food." Mind you, there are occasions where decor plays a role in my decision. The type of restaurants I gravitate to are more historic, classy, traditional, retro. Two places that come to my mind are Cicada in downtown LA & Lawry's the Prime Rib in Beverly Hills. Cicada is located in the historic Oviatt Building, the first Art Deco building in Los Angeles. Lawry's the Prime Rib has that huge dining room with murals and full-length portraits that adds to the grandeur of the restaurant. And sometimes, I can go for contemporary and/or ethnic as well. Last week, I had dinner at a really good Thai place called Saladang in Pasadena. It's not a hole-in-the-wall place in some mini-mall. The restaurant is huge with glass walls, outside dining, it's hard for me describe. You just have to go there and see it, if you haven't already.

I have a copy of Zagat's as well. What kind of info are you looking for that Zagat doesn't have? Have you seen the restaurants for yourself? Are you focusing more on the popular restaurants with big rooms? Or perhaps small operations that are out of the way? Is there a dinner event you have to organize & you need some help?

Again, welcome to eGullet, coxcrpr!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I am researching a project on restaurant design in Southern California.  Where have you kids gone that has really impressed you? 

My wife and I ate at Rama, a Thai food resturant downtown San Diego and enjoyed it all very much. Very nice decor in the back. The ceilings are quite high (40 ft?) and there are high thin/see thru whitecurtains coming down dividing each table and in front of each booth to give you an eliment of seclusion. On the very back wall is a waterfall of sorts spanning the entire length and is about 20 feet high. I say of sorts because it's more like those mini feng shui things you put on your desk that has trickling water over rocks. The entire span of the wall is covered in rocks and foliage and the water cascades down from the top. We loved the ambiance. Pretty romantic.

Did the food live up to design? The service?  Did the experience live up to its press?

Yes, yes, yes

Do you recommend places to friends or business associates because of the look of the place

Yes to both. Looks are not the overriding factor in recommending to friends. I would definately suggest a better looking place for business associates rather than go for great food with the local neighborhood appearance.

Does "age of the dining group" enter into this decision?

Not so much age but affluency. I wouldn't send friends or business associates to Dick's Last Resort for example even if they are college aged. But I would talor my suggestions to where I think they could afford to eat.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I am researching a project on restaurant design in Southern California.  Where have you kids gone that has really impressed you?  Did the food live up to design? The service?  Did the experience live up to its press?  Do you recommend places to friends or business associates because of the look of the place...if so, does it depend upon who the person is or how important the meeting?  Does "age of the dining group" enter into this decision? I have studied Zagat's decor ratings, but need quite a bit more information.  Thank You.

How about a place where the restaurant design is part of the "gimmick" of the restaurant?

I was going to mention Ed Debevic's in L.A. but it seems to be closed (it's not listed on their web site anymore) but I will suggest the Corvette Diner in San Diego (part of the Cohn restaurant empire). Like Ed's, the Corvette Diner is '50's-themed. The interior decor is retro everything, the music is '50's-oriented and the waitstaff are "in character". The food matches the retro feel, from a basket of fried chicken to familiar comfort food like meat loaf and mac'n'cheese (Click here for a PDF file of their menu).

While the food is a mix of retro and new, the interior design is a pastiche of retro everything (they even have a DJ on weekends who'll take retro requests) and the wait-staff is usually in-character so you shouldn't be surprised if the waitress says "Move over, hon, my dog's are barkin'!" and sits with you as she takes your order.

For some reason, kids love the place though the '50's might as well have been an old section of Disneyland for all they know. :wink: It's a fun place to take out-of-town guests, too. Not exactly a business meeting place, but a fun evening when you're looking for more than just food.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver