• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scharffen Berger Cacao Nibs...

adegiulio

I'm looking for some cacao nibs, but don't have time to have them shipped. Does anyone know where in New York I can find them??

Thanks!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I'm looking for some cacao nibs, but don't have time to have them shipped. Does anyone know where in New York I can find them??

Thanks!

Whole Food's, 7th Avenue, had them last week near the cheese counter, as well as SB and Valrhona bars. The cake and baking supply shop on 22nd btw. 5 and 6 regularly has high end chocolate as well.

I saw them in Zabar's last week. But, I've bought them at Fairway in the past.

Additionally, Scharffen Berger has a shop on Amsterdam btw 82nd and 83rd. They'll definitely have them there.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Maybe cocoa nibs can be found online at www.chefswarehouse.com and they will ship it to you directly.

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

Put them in an ice cream, i saw a recipe to roll truffles in nibs, can be mixed with white chocolate, or I have mixed them into homemade whipped cream to top desserts..I have seen them served with asparagus and prosciutto..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Put them in an ice cream, i saw a recipe to roll truffles in nibs, can be mixed with white chocolate, or I have mixed them into homemade whipped cream to top desserts..I have seen them served with asparagus and prosciutto..

Good idea, or top vanilla ice cream with them, and then drizzle on some good aged balsamic.

I'll be grinding them in with a mortar and pestle, then dusting some veinson loin with it....

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Also excellent in a dark chocolate, chocolate chip ice cream.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

our local store in hanover, n.h. has them, but what am i supposed to do with them.  they sure taste bitter :huh:

Alice Medrich has both sweet and savory recipes using coco nibs in her book Bittersweet.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

our local store in hanover, n.h. has them, but what am i supposed to do with them.  they sure taste bitter :huh:

Alice Medrich has both sweet and savory recipes using coco nibs in her book Bittersweet.

and check out this thread for some other ideas: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"