• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food/drink ideas for the Far Hills Hunt (10/22)?

skinsey123

I put some $$ down this year for a parking space at the Far Hills Hunt with some friends and thought I might ask to see if anybody else is (1) planning to go and (2) get some suggestions for food and drink.

Plans currently are for bloody marys and mimosas to start, and then an abbreviated bar and keg to keep the crowd happy. I believe I can bring a grill, so may plan for the usual burgers and appetizers, but may try to fancy it up a little. I fear mere hamburgers won't quite fit in with the other spaces I've seen in years past.

Any recommendations?

First make some kebabs....second what is the Far Hills Hunt and should I want to go ? :hmmm:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ah, the Far Hills Race Meeting...aka "The Hunt"--'tho there's no hunt! According to something I just read about it (maybe in NJ Monthly?), this originally started as an annual event for the farmers, to celebrate the harvest. GREAT place to go if you plan ahead and the weather is (and has been) dry. I spent many a late October Saturday there in my (ahem) youth. And from what I can remember (:biggrin:) , it was FUN. A LOT OF FUN.

In the years when we went, the host chose a theme, and we all had to contribute something to that theme--food, beverage, decoration or some sort of costume. Reaching back in my brain, I remember the country theme with haystacks to set upon, badges (we don't need no stinkin'...) for everyone to wear, and real down-home food (chili, cornbread, etc.); the Greek and Italian themes with food to match, and...um...I'm drawing a blank. Will have to contact friends who might remember more! Hey--it was my 20s, and we drank A LOT. And we drank well, too. We took the train at around 10am, and I do recall starting with mimosas at the house prior to that...and ending the day with some B&B! :wink:

First and foremost, I'd find out for sure whether or not you can grill. Then start thinking about things that will travel well, just as you would with any tailgate, and decide if you want to go upscale or not. There are people who go all out at this thing--catered, staffed, china and silver. Then there are the folks who are just in to throwing a great party, and then there are the groups that bring chips, cases of beer and no food. If your friends know what they're doing, enlist their help! If you provide the entree(s), let them bring salads, apps and/or desserts. And know that if it has rained within 3 days, you're going to be in mud, so take that in to consideration when deciding how much stuff to bring/weigh down your car. And don't forget to get some betting going for each race--that definitely adds to the fun as well!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

First make some kebabs....second what is the Far Hills Hunt and should I want to go ? :hmmm:

tracey

Kebabs are a great idea. Better than burgers and easy to cook with the grill. May throw some marinaded Portabellas on too. I'll need to ask about the grill.

Regarding the Hunt. You definitely should go at least once. As I've described it to friends, its a cross between the Kentucky Derby, a College Homecoming (At least the tailgate portion), and an Eddie Bauer photo shoot (Lots of corduroys and Polo shirts). The "Hunt" is actually a Steeplechase race (With one of the richest, if not the richest, purses in Steeplechase racing). Although, I would bet less than 20% of the attendees actually know there's a race going on. The other 80% are enjoying the drinks and lavish spreads set out by various people. The attendance gets close to 50,000 people, and the few times I've gone, had a blast. I've seen anything between case races and keg stands all the way up to white glove, catered service. People go all out. I'm looking forward to it.

If you're interested... Far Hills Race Meeting website

Last year I went with a group of friends who had two parking spaces in the general tailgate section. Our group emphasized fun over fashion, so we had gourmet finger foods (sandwiches, wraps, roasted veggies, ziti, etc) and lots of alchohol! The VIP areas have Range Rover tailgates with champagne, foie gras, beef wellington, their best silverware and linens. Fun for everybody. I'll be there again this year. Looking forward to it. Hope for dry weather!

As a freind of the owners of the grounds it is run upon, it is the RICHEST race meet in the USA. It also raises more money, for Charity, than any other one day event in the USA.

As a veteran of race meets going back to my youth in the horse business, it has lost its luster due to the "party" scene and the lack of focus on the real thing which are the horses and the racing.

That having been written, it is a great time and it is a place to go and be seen. With the weather forecast, 70% chance of rain, wear your "wellies" (Wellington mud boots) and rain slickers (only Barbour will do for this crowd.)

As to grilling, I do not know what the policy is.

Have fun and do watch some of the races. The quality of horses, trainers and riders are the best in the nation.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover

I want to apologize for thinking the Race Meet was this weekend. It is definetly on 10/22. I was a bit groggy when I wrote my response in the early AM. I will talk to my friends and find out what, if any, the restrictions are on grilling.

Have a good weekend and enjoy the much needed rain.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover