• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures:  What do you eat when no one is looking?  Do you ever stop for fast food, and if so which are your favorites?  

Do you get cravings? ....and is it usually for something salty or sweet?

What do you like to eat when you go out after a shift is over?

What do you like to eat at home when you are just too pooped to cook?

Cravings--where I am suddenly visited by a consuming need for a particular food item:

Unagi....Barney Greengrass's chopped liver..Focaccio pizza with robiola cheese and white truffle oil...a REAL Italian hero, dripping with oil and vinegar...a bleeding, greasy cheeseburger at Corner Bistro....chorizo sausage...fettucine Alfredo..Stilton cheese..fried smelts in persillade..oysters..vacherin smeared on a fresh baguette...iced vodka shots with a few fish eggs...a properly made grilled cheese sandwich..an end cut from a prime rib roast..tamales from the Mexican lady who sells them to my cooks from a plastic cooler on Satrudays..the little fried crabs (sawagani) at Sushi Samba--washed down with capharenas...toasted bialey dripping with butter...cold meat loaf sandwich (only MY meat loaf, though) with homemade mayo and lettuce on country bread.....portugese squid stew...steamer clams...

Horrible Guilty Pleasures About Which I Feel Immediate Regret:

Italian sweet sausage and peppers at street fairs. God help me.

Dirty water hot dogs.

Leftover pork fried rice from a generic Chinese restaurant

And please forgive me--I'm so ashamed--those hideous honey BBQ wings at the colonel--when I'm stoned in front of the tube.

Cap'n Crunch (especially when they cut my mouth and the milk turns pink)

abourdain

All the items you mentioned (with the exception of the CC) sound sooooo good.

I was surprised I didn't see Pho on your list of cravings, as from reading your book, I would think it would be right up there, too.  You mentioned earlier that you would love to go back to Vietnam.  What are some of the Vietnamese foods you miss?  Do you cook vietnamese cuisine at home?  Do you like bahn mi's?