• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morcilla in New York

jennahan

I tasted morcilla today for the first time (pan fried) and loved it. Boy was I surprised when I found out what it was, as I have always found boudin noir to be pretty gross. I'd love to buy some while I'm in NYC to cook for my parents, but haven't a clue where to buy some. Does anyone know a place to get my hands on some really good morcilla?

I tasted morcilla today for the first time (pan fried) and loved it.  Boy was I surprised when I found out what it was, as I have always found boudin noir to be pretty gross.  I'd love to buy some while I'm in NYC to cook for my parents, but haven't a clue where to buy some.  Does anyone know a place to get my hands on some really good morcilla?

Dont know where in NY, but you can get it at tienda.com

I've not found morcilla to be significantly different from boudin noir. There is variety in style and quality in both. I've had morcilla in Argentine restaurants, but none of the ones I remember are still in business. I've had it in some Puerto Rican and Domincan greasy spoons whose names I don't recall. Balthazar has boudin noir on their brunch menu with eggs and potatoes.

The only retail source I know if is Salumeria Biellese, 376 Eighth Avenue. (212) 736-7376.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I like the morcilla at Pampa; have you been there, Bux?

To tell the truth, I rarely get to the upper west side these days, not that I get to the upper east side all that much more often.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

I'd imagine any of the Argentine butchers in Jackson Heights would carry it, and perhaps the Colombian places, too. Most Dominican and Puerto Rican lunch counters usually have it as a steam table option.

Where did you try it from so we can help you find a good match? Most Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries have a version of this...

I had it here in London. It wasn't anything like the boudin noir that I had to date in France. I initially thought that I was tasting a well done chorizo. The sausage was spicier than boudin noir, and has the texture of pan fried chorizo. I am going to be in NYC for 3 weeks, and wanted to surprise my husband and brother, both who love spicy sausages and one loves boudin noir (my French husband).

I've never had morcilla that resembled chorizo. Not to say I've all the varieties made in Spansish speaking countries. I've had spicy boundin noir in Martinique. Boudin creole it was called and I've seen boudin antillese or something like that for sale in France. The morcilla from Puerto Rico is often spicy. I've also had blutwurst or something like that from the Polish butcher on First Avenue around Sixth Street. That's fat like salami and generally sliced and eaten cold.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

I had it here in London.  It wasn't anything like the boudin noir that I had to date in France.  I initially thought that I was tasting a well done chorizo.  The sausage was spicier than boudin noir, and has the texture of pan fried chorizo.  I am going to be in NYC for 3 weeks, and wanted to surprise my husband and brother, both who love spicy sausages and one loves boudin noir (my French husband).

One key issue, at least in Spanish morcillas, is whether it was made with rice, onion, or both as a filler. This has a big effect on the texture.

I have a scan of an old Spanish cookbook chapter full of morcilla recipes I'm happy to share, if you're interested (and can read Spanish.)

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.