• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for hazelnut praline spread?

raxelita

Hey Sweets!

Been brainstorming an economical, delicious, storable gift to give to family members at an upcoming gathering and have landed on jars of Hazelnut Praline Spread.

I got the idea while pouring buckets of Le Pain Quotidien's Belgian Praline on my soup bageutte, something I can't help from doing whenever I visit. They import theirs from Belgium, so I haven't much a chance of obtaining a recipe. (the ingredients on the jar are simply hazelnut, sugar, corn oil)

I've studied the two demos on Praline, and learned enough to get the basics, but I'm looking for something more goopy, spready than the end result of the demos. Is there a way I can alter one of the two demo processes, or does the spread require a whole different approach?

So much thanks in advance.

Rax

Drink maker, heart taker!

you can emulsify the praline paste with a fat to create an easy spread, hence the usage of cornoil. Cocoa butter is usable. Also if you could get ahold of hazelnut oil thats always a plus. Just when the praline paste is finished, keep beating it in the robotcoupe/foodprocessor and drizzle your fat in as if you were making a dressing until you get the consitency you want. It may also be acceptable to use a small amount of egg white to help hold it together. Can easily add the egg white will the pralines are still hot to pastuerize it.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I love their Praline Spread. I fell in love with it while visiting a friend in Geneva. I actually carried ten jars of it home (on my back) from Paris as gifts for friends. When I gave it to my friend in Washington DC, she immediately went online, found a Le Pain Quotidien in New York and made her mother mail her four jars. Let me know if you figure out how to make it, I am down to my last few jars.

Greenbean