• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lake tahoe dining

elala

My boyfriend and I are both chefs in san francisco, we are getting married in south lake tahoe in late september and realized we don't know any good restaurants there. Any ideas would be appreciated. The expense doesn't matter but by the same token really good cheap food is fine also. :biggrin: Thank you.

My boyfriend and I are both chefs in san francisco, we are getting married in south lake tahoe in late september and realized we don't know any good restaurants there.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  The expense doesn't matter but by the same token really good cheap food is fine also.  :biggrin:  Thank you.

First, congratulations to you two!

Second, I don't know of any fine dining places in South Lake Tahoe.

If you don't mind, drive from SLT "over the grade" to Carson Valley, where Gardnerville, Minden & Carson City are located. Along the 395 in Gardnerville is this local Basque restaurant called JT's. All the locals go there. For one price, you're served soup, salad, stew (beef or tongue), then your entree, beans, bread, and ice cream for dessert. There may be a couple of fine dining places in Genoa, also in the Carson Valley.

I have some friends who live and grew up in the Carson Valley, right near South Lake Tahoe. Let me see what I can find out.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I used to work for an uber-high end winery who had a lot of followers from the Tahoe area. We would get a lot of restaurant types visiting the winery for wine placement and the constant theme seemed to be that there aren't enough high-end restaurants (to warrant the quality of the wine!).

Here's about it:

Mirabelle

290 Kingsbury Grade,

Stateline

775-586-1007

Nevada-side of the border

Naked Fish

3940 Lake Tahoe Blvd., Unit 3

South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

530-541-FISH (3474)

California-side of the border

Most everything else is American-style skiing food. This site lists some others...

I've had some good meals at the restaurant at the top of Harvey's. It's got a fabulous view. In the past, they have let us sit in the bar and just have a few appetizers, which is nice if you don't want to have a whole meal.

I've been really unimpressed with the higher end food around lake tahoe. The lower end can be really good though - Womacks Texas BBQ is my favorite place to grab a meal in the area. Hardly a good choice for a wedding, but if they are open while you are in town it'd be worth a visit.

Nepheles has a decent wine list and reasonably good food - it would be a flop were it in the bay area, but it isn't bad for food in a ski town.