• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO YVR Restaurant

OnlyMe

We will be in Vancouver for a few days in September and would appreciate advice on eating there. My DH is a serious carnivore while I am a strict vegetarian (lacto-ovo-vegetarian to be exact). I do not eat meat, fish or cheese but will eat mostly any cuisine. My DH is not too keen on pasta but in the right mood is quite keen on a good pizza.

I have done a little research myself and think we will definately try Vij's and either Simply Thai or Phnom Phen and/ or Banana Leaf. Also possibly Hon's Won-Tun House. I am also considering trying Rangoli's (possibly for lunch).

I have purchased the Vancouver entertainment book and would like opinions on some of the restaurants I am looking at:

Mona's on Hornby Street

Zachary's on Robson Street

India Gate on Robson Street

Ashiana Tandori Kingsway

DV8 Davie Street (is it open - I read it had a fire)

da Pasta Bar Robson Street

Francescos Pasta Bar Robson Street

India Gate Robson Street

Others I am tempted by include Earls on Robson and Il Giardino on Hornby St.

Bearing in mind that we will need a restaurant to cater for BOTH tastes would you recommend any of the above or have any other suggestions. I have chosen quite a lot of chinese and indian restaurants but 2 visits to each type of restaurant will probably be enough for us so any suggestions of other cuisines/ restaurants is much appreciated.

Also, any recommendations places for breakfast near the Sutton PLace Hotel would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm.. of all those restaurants, I really only think Ashiana is worth going to, if you want a good dining experience in Vancouver. I'm not sure about Mona, but the other restaurants listed are not great.

I've had bad experiences at Earls on Robson (Earls on Top), and wouldn't recommend it. Poor food and service. Il Giardino would be a good choice, but for that price range I would rather spend it at Cioppino's in Yaletown. I don't think your dietary restrictions should stop you from exploring more of Vancouver's restaurants - because many gladly cater to such needs (vegetarians are hardly uncommon).

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I have done a little research myself and think we will definately try Vij's and either Simply Thai or Phnom Phen and/ or Banana Leaf. Also possibly Hon's Won-Tun House. I am also considering trying Rangoli's (possibly for lunch).

Absolutely try Vij's, Phnom Phen and Banana Leaf. Hon's is kind of cool if you are a vegetarian because they do interesting things with tofu. Rangoli is great for lunch, it is the casual side restaurant of Vij's and you could hit some interesting shops and galleries in the area.

I have purchased the Vancouver entertainment book and would like opinions on some of the restaurants I am looking at:

Mona's on Hornby Street

Zachary's on Robson Street

India Gate on Robson Street

Ashiana Tandori Kingsway

DV8 Davie Street (is it open - I read it had a fire)

da Pasta Bar Robson Street

Francescos Pasta Bar Robson Street

India Gate Robson Street

Others I am tempted by include Earls on Robson and Il Giardino on Hornby St.

Mona's is interesting. Habibis for lebanese (On Broadway) would be my choice.

All others - ummmm hmm. If you can't say something nice........

Hapa Izakaya expanded into Francescos old space. So that is off your list. Hapa is very good Japanes Tapas. Don't think that the vegetarian option is large there though.

For Italian - I would go to Cioppinos over Il Giardino - far more consistent. Indian is also good at Maurya (fancier Indian restaurant on Broadway) and Chai (casual place further down Broadway past MacDonald).

I would call ahead to some of Vancouver's best and most talked of restaurants. Cru, Aurora, Chambar, Cassis and see if they can accomodate your needs. You should also stop by Hamilton Street Grill for at least the Ginger Bread Pudding (which I still haven't had, but comes highly recommended).

Also, any recommendations places for breakfast near the Sutton PLace Hotel would be great.

I would walk to Yaletown and go to Provence Marinaside.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

I would also try the Irish Heather in Gastown- the menu has alot of meat items (including a great steak pie) but they also have a daily pasta special that made in house and is vegetarian. It is great pub - especially if it is a little raining to sit back and recharge.

Hamiliton Street Grill is a great option for steaks - including the famous hanger steak (big red taste - satisfying chew) and there are pasta dishes that come without meat. If you contact the restaurant and let them know - I am sure they will be cool about setting you up with a nice vegetarian entree. Plus the gingerbread pudding IS very good - kind of like a dark sticky toffee pudding - but with the bite and depth of ginger.... mmmmm.

I really dislike Hon's - but other people like it so maybe I am being a fuss bucket. But for cheap and cheerful Chinese - I would suggest Congee House on Broadway and Main. If you are in that area - there is a vegetarian place (soups, sandwiches, entrees, etc...) that called Wink Cafe that looks very interesting - but I will be honest and say I have not tried it yet.

Another option may be Japanese Noodles and Kintaro on Denman. I also like Okada - they have alot of grilled veggies, tempura, salads, tofu.... as well as the usual meat based offerings. However - many of their items may be fish broth based...

I've had lunch at Simply Thai - the place is cramped - and the curries were quite good, but the Pad Thai was insanely sweet. It just seems like Thai food has gotten really really sweet lately and it is frankly offputting.

Even though the food may not be superstar quality - I think that Vancouver's casual fine dining places actually do a decent job of things. Milestones in Yaletown has a pretty good rotisserie chicken and roasted beef and has some featured vegetarian options.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

You know, I have friends who are strict veggies with a bunch of disposable income and I'm always keeping out and eye for places they could drop some cash. I was thinking Cassis would be a good place where our carnivorous family could sit down and break bread with the vegetarians and both be satisfied. Has anyone been there lately? (The menu is online).

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

You know, I have friends who are strict veggies with a bunch of disposable income and I'm always keeping out and eye for places they could drop some cash. I was thinking Cassis would be a good place where our carnivorous family could sit down and break bread with the vegetarians and both be satisfied. Has anyone been there lately? (The menu is online).

Zuke

If you are willing to blow the bucks - West is an excellent choice for both vegetarian and meaty foods. As I have posted before - they are even able to meet the requirements of Buddist Vegetarians (meaning no garlic or onions) with some advanced warning.

I had dinner there tonight and was very very good.

One of your choices above is Mona's and I had a great meal there several months ago so can definitely recommend them. One thing to watch though, is, the bill. We were a group of four and had a 15% grat added to it w/o noticing. Therefore, we tipped on top of this and our server received just over a 30% tip. While the service was good.... I would not have put it in the leagues of West, Le Crocodile etc. where one might actually tip that high due to exceptional service. When we discovered this anomaly (several days later), it was too late to bring it up so we let it pass. Probably a mistake... no doubt.... but one worth keeping an eye out for. Their web site discusses a pre-set grat for parties over 8 if I recall correctly.

As far as places in the entertainment book go... you might want to check out this thread which has a number of reviews.

As others have stated above...... most restaurants in this day and age can come up with a decent vegetarian option, especially if given a day or so's notice.

Enjoy.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown