• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copeland

barawidan

This is the place in the Westin - Governor Morris. We have not been there yet but have plans to go with friends who said the food and service were excellent - a bit pricey though. I will let you know what I think.

I have not been here...but have a friend who has dined

there several times. She describes it as an upscale venue

[read expensive] w. good food and decent service..nice

ambiance. The Newark Star Ledger gave it a very favorable

review.

Had lunch here a few weeks back and enjoyed it. Have to say though, I was recognized as was given a few luxury items on the house. Had crabcakes that were very good and a poached shrimp cocktail that was medicore. I had tuna for a main course and have to say I don't remember how it was prepared. The pastry chef here is the knock-out. They sent us 3 deseerts on the house that were extradinary. A little advise though, it ain't cheap. Im looking forward to going back to dinner here.

• 4 weeks later...

They have a great bar and their drinks are amazing! The raw bar is something to talk about. The oyster shucker, Ryan, is wonderful!! They are known for their raw bar platters which are piled on- great value!! Much more appealing than South City Grill.

I believe they are also known for their Braised Short Ribs and their Chili-Cinnamon glazed Chilean seabass. I think it's the best kept secret.

• 2 months later...

Put Copeland, at the Westin Governor Morris, 2 Whippany Road, Morristown on your “go to” list. Based on my one visit and the exquisite twelve course tasting menu (three courses of four small plates nested on one large dish) I can’t wait to return to this gorgeous venue. Thomas Ciszak is the Executive Chef and only offers the tasting menu on Saturday nights. However, I would suggest that if you are interested in having a tasting menu on another night call and ask if the restaurant can accommodate you. Cost is $89 and $28 with wine pairing.

The menu changes seasonally in order to take advantage of the freshest ingredients and flavors of the season. We had the following:

Amuse of tuna tartare in a profiterole

Gazpacho soup with garlic chips

FIRST COURSE

Oyster on the half shell with tomato, ginger and lemon oil

Tuna tartar with cucumber and tapioca

Caesar salad

Seared foie gras with rhubarb and aged balsamic

(Champagne, Pol Roger Brut Reserve NV and

Riesling, Gravelstone Jekel ’03)

SECOND COURSE

Lavender crusted marlin with artichokes

Chili-cinnamon glazed Chilean sea bass with potato wrapped shrimp

Boneless rack of lamb wih parmesan gnocchi

Braised short ribs with red shallot confit

(Sauvignon Blanc, Daydream Reverie ’03 and Shiraz, Thomas Hyland Penfold’s ’03)

THIRD COURSE

Chilled strawberry soup

Peach Napoleon with a crisp caramel wafer

Hazelnut “god nugget” milk chocolate praline

Warm Valrhona chocolate brioche pudding with Tahitiann vanilla ice cream

( Moscato d’ Asti, Villa Rosa)

The bar area where martinis are a specialty, has a snug atmosphere with cushy seats where you can also dine or sample items from the raw seafood bar. There is also an intimate wine room for private dinners with seating for up to sixteen.

Copeland is open seven days a week serving breakfast from 6:30 AM, lunch, and dinner. For more information log onto http://www.copelandrestaurant.com and call 973-539-7300 for reservations.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 4 weeks later...

We had an excellent meal here two Saturdays ago. Food was excellent, I had west coast oysters and the filet mignon for an entree, wife had Marilin and I can't remember to start. Wine list is long but the first two bottles we tried to order were out of stock. They gave us a third for the price of the second which saved us around $20. Prices are high but about what you'd expect for a hotel restaurant. Very pretty room, very nice bar with comfortable seats. Interesting martini glasses, go and see what I mean, and they had Brooklyn Weiss on tap and it was great. A special event kind of place, my only worry is that on a Saturday night at 8 pm they were less than half full. This was post labor day so no "its the summertime" excuse, I wonder if these guys are gonna make it. I hope so. Also, their website is excellent, I don't have the url handy but you can certainly find it on google.

Oops, for the website just look at Rosie's post.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

• 2 weeks later...

We dined there this week.....NY sleek decor...pleasant & competent

serving staff........interesting menu........We enjoyed the crabcakes,

served w. a mustard based sauce. They are succulently composed of

jumbo lump crabmeat lightly bound w. mayo....a crab lovers treat...

although some might miss the seasoning often influencing crabcakes.

My skirt steak was cooked as ordered & had excellent flavor as did the

accompanying fries. Bread basket was interesting.

The 'shrimp cocktail 2 ways' was an interesting presentation and generous

portion although mared by an iodine taste in the shrimp.

After dinner cappucchino [weak] and dessert [chocolate brioche pudding

of a dense, pureed consistency] fell below the mark.

• 3 weeks later...
We dined there this week.....NY sleek decor...pleasant & competent

serving staff........interesting menu........We enjoyed the crabcakes,

served w. a mustard based sauce. They are succulently composed of

jumbo lump crabmeat lightly bound w. mayo....a crab lovers treat...

although some might miss the seasoning often influencing crabcakes.

My skirt steak was cooked as ordered & had excellent flavor as did the

accompanying fries.  Bread basket was interesting.

The 'shrimp cocktail 2 ways' was an interesting presentation and generous

portion although mared by an iodine taste in the shrimp.

After dinner cappucchino [weak] and dessert [chocolate brioche pudding

of a dense, pureed consistency] fell below the mark.

I was at copeland last week and I had a horrible experience. Service was terrible and the food was sub-par. The place is beautiful but whats up with the new GM? The guy was extemely pretentious. I dont know if I will go back.

I thought the GM was exceptionally knowledgeable about food and wine and was very helpful to us when ordering. Not pretentious at but professional and skilled when dealing with patrons.

I had the miso-cinamon glazed bass and it was raw in the center. The GM told me thats how it should be and they didnt give me a replacement or ask if I would like something else. It took about 12 minutes before anyone aproached our table. They asked us if we would like cofee after we atready finished desserts. It just wasnt the best experience. Maybe we caught them on a bad night I dont know. Does any one think its worth another try after an experience like that?

We had lunch at Copeland on a Tuesday. It is a beautiful and large place, but only one other table was occupied.

My wife had a crab cake. It was very good.

I had a Turkey Club sandwich at $11. The turkey was as fake and rubbery as possible. The turkey club at any diner would have been better and less costly. Maybe it was a poor choice by me, but I expected better.

I hope that they succeed. We'll try it for dinner, but something seems off kilter here. I much prefer small, chef-owned restaurants to hotel operations.

• 3 weeks later...

I know the new GM @ the Copeland. I am sure that in time if he remains there that he will get the service to where it needs to be. Its always very difficult for a new GM to get things to run his or her way. Im sure there is a huge turn over with the wait staff right now. But in due time, the service will be much improved.

actually coffee should be served after dessert, that is the proper

way.

That may be the proper way, but sorry, I can see how that wouldn't fly at a restaurant! I'll never forget the night I worked a party at someone's NYC apartment and before we had the main course down, people were asking--no, PESTERING us about where the coffee was/when it would be served. That was a solid 15 years ago, and friends and I still joke about it.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I thought the GM was exceptionally knowledgeable about food and wine and was very helpful to us when ordering. Not pretentious at but professional and skilled when dealing with patrons.

I had the miso-cinamon glazed bass and it was raw in the center. The GM told me thats how it should be and they didnt give me a replacement or ask if I would like something else. It took about 12 minutes before anyone aproached our table. They asked us if we would like cofee after we atready finished desserts. It just wasnt the best experience. Maybe we caught them on a bad night I dont know. Does any one think its worth another try after an experience like that?

I am the GM of Copeland, and would like to apologize for any discomfort you may have been caused. All of our fish items are normally cooked rare to medium rare, however, the Chef is always happy to cook items more upon request. I again apologize if the fish was not cooked to your satisfaction. As for the coffee service, while it should be served after dessert, I instruct my staff to offer our guests the option of having coffee with dessert or after. Apparently you were not afforded that option, and I apologize again. I assure you I am working very dilgently with my staff in order to improve service, and I humbly ask you to give my staff and I an opportunity to prove it to you. Please contact me at the restaurant, so I may arrange for a return visit.

Been here many times for lunch at the bar. I Knew the old GM from coming in my place for years. I noticed he wasn't there once summer began. Place is very good and the pastry chef outstanding. Bar staff is up and down depending on their moods. Lunch menu is a little limited hence we've begun to distance our stops. I even asked one time if we could order off the dinner menu and were told no. Overall, I'd certainly recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

The Copeland [Morristwon] earned many kudos in its

early months...and indeed, our first visits there were

very pleasant. But they are at risk of rapidly going down

hill if our visit last evening was an example of management & service.

We planned to sit at the bar and graze while chatting, so

we were happy to see 'finished' diners leaving their chairs.

1.The bar/waiters removed their dirty dishes but never

changed or wiped the placemat and ultimately,we had to

request that they wipe the counter which was quite dirty

w. breadcrumbs & food stuff.

2.They served our drinks without cocktail napkins, which

had to be requested

3.They never presented the dinner menu as was our

experience on previous occassions. The bar menus we

saw are rather soiled and need to be replaced.

3.We ordered seafood apps from the raw bar. Mine was

served.......my friend's shrimp order sat for quite a while

at the end of the counter until my friend asked if it was hers.

It was. Food was served but napkins & silverware had to be

requested. The shrimp were nicely cooked jumbo specimens

but had a strong iodine flavor. Although a plain shrimp cocktail

had been ordered, this order appeared w. a glass of shrimp salad/mush

that is part of the shrimp 2 ways...so not a correct order.

4.Staff was totally inattentive to everyone...and tended to cluster

at the service end of the bar and chat. They had to be called

for every request.

5.There was a LONG wait for a 2nd glass of [house] wine because

they 'ran out' and had to go & get it. Of course, they never

came over to explain this until once again, we caught their attention.

6.The wine storeage is ridiculous....it is stored library style

at one end of the bar...and the shelves reach high. When a bottle

of wine is needed, one staffer uses a stool to climb onto the counter

and then reach up quite a bit. His peers stand at his feet, to catch

the falling body if need be. Why not use a library ladder?

Obviously Ebberlyn wasn't all that concerned about comments here on egullet. I posted 4 hours and talked about the shortcomings and was actually being gentle and didn't want to gang up and no reponse posted. Let's see if PaulaJK's are taken care of. Rosie, did you ever contact the restaurant or go dine again after Ebberlyn's post?

I think something is up here. I was there on Thursday night, stopped in for a drink because I was across the street on business. The usual bartenders weren't there and when I asked about them I got a vague non answer that no one knew if they'd be back. Read between the lines and you could figure out they'd been fired. At 6:30 there was no one in the dinning room. There was a private party in the "wine room" and several people at the bar but the vibe was bad. I had one drink and left.