• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fire & Knives - New Publication-KC

moosnsqrl

There is a new publication "for people who eat" in the Kansas City area. I was impressed with the first issue and look forward to the September one. And if you're on this forum, you might also find it of interest that the publisher is looking for contributors.

It's free at many locations throughout the metro (apparently); I found it at Napoleon Bakery in Westport. You can also subscribe using paypal.

http://fireandknives.net/

(Z: if you read this...I snagged an extra copy for you and will bring it to b-stem on Wed)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Are they looking for donations in exchange for a subscription? You have to enter an amount in PayPal, but the website says it's free, so I'm assuming that that's the case?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Are they looking for donations in exchange for a subscription?  You have to enter an amount in PayPal, but the website says it's free, so I'm assuming that that's the case?

think I might know the guy through a friend or a friend of a friend. Gonna shoot an email off to find out. I'm extremly underwhelmed by the web design, but I'll take your word AFA the print issue is concerned. I'll be sure to pick up one, next time I'm in town.

If you pick up a copy it's free; if you want to have it mailed to your house, it's $25/year as I understand it.

And yes, the website is in its infancy, as is the magazine itself, but I think it has a lot of promise based on the editorial content and general vibe.

Devin called-in to a local food critic show last week and, although he has not named kitchens in KC where he's worked for editorial reasons, he did mention a few of them on-air. The only one I can think of, off the top of my head, is Figlio. The show is archived at www.kcur.com, Walt Bodine, August 19 and his call came near the end as I recall, if you're curious.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

Read the second issue yesterday and remain hopeful; it is bigger and better in every way and some people with interesting backgrounds and credentials have climbed aboard as contributors.

Devin Allen was on talk radio last evening and, although much of the time was spent suffering the buffoons who host it, he did manage to articulate his vision for the publication and raise some interest. If any of the listeners are literate, that is... I guess the others can always look at the pictures...the yahoos did comment on the fact that the first two covers have been young women with produce and it deteriorated from there.

And I'm straying off-topic but not being a talk radio person, I was stunned at how stupid and immature those guys are. If they had been in my fourth grade class I would've dissed them. I gained a little insight into our societal challenges during that half-hour. I can't believe someone turns them lose with microphones and airwaves and, even more incredibly, people sponsor them and listen to them. It's sad.

M.F.K. Fisher

He has approached me a few times about ads and contributing but I want to wait untill he gets a littel bigger. :smile:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

During the "interview" the morons on talk radio started talking about "wienie water soup" (apparently a childhood game wherein a younger sibling was served a bowl of water their father had used to boil hot dogs). Devin quipped that bluestem would be serving it next week. So how about it chef? At least a shot glass for an amuse?

M.F.K. Fisher

I think the shot glass would be a little too predictable. If you're going to highlight something like hot dog water, do something playful like freezing it and having the servers shave it onto a Vienna sausage torchon at the table. I'm not sure what would be a good accompaniment, but obviously it should be something involving French's mustard. :rolleyes:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Some people....

What is wrong with just taking quality ingredients (in this case, eau de wienie) and letting them speak for themselves? Your contrived, overly fussy version is a classic abuse of what passes for fusion cuisine. I am disappointed. :hmmm:

M.F.K. Fisher

And I'm straying off-topic but not being a talk radio person, I was stunned at how stupid and immature those guys are.  If they had been in my fourth grade class I would've dissed them.  I gained a little insight into our societal challenges during that half-hour.  I can't believe someone turns them lose with microphones and airwaves and, even more incredibly, people sponsor them and listen to them.  It's sad.

Antics like this are exactly why I listen to NPR... and exactly why I bailed out of a radio news career. Broadcasters today are not information people, they're entertainment people, and the vast majority of them aren't interested in educating themselves, or their audiences, about the subject matter with which they're working. For a topic like cooking and food, and related sociology, it's far, far above their heads. Moreover, those who employ them want only to entertain, not inform, and don't require much of them. That's why NPR stations, together with Lynne Rosetto Kasper, et al, are people we should support. They're the only place a focused topic like ours will receive any serious attention.

That is a good food blog out of the UK (fireandknives.COM). I found it accidentally when I was looking for the website of the KC publication (fireandknives.NET).

And, relating my awe and admiration for anyone who takes the time and energy to support a blog like that to jmg's response about my radio rant...if an individual can produce quality work like that, presumably in his spare time, why can't (or won't) the media get it right?

Sorry, Ronnie...I'll end here and, if anyone else wants to continue down this path, we should probably start on the Media forum since we've transcended the Heartland. I wonder if the other geographic areas go off-topic all of the time or if we're unique in our tendency to ramble? :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

I finally tracked down a copy of the October issue at my local Planet Sub. Great stuff! I'm honestly excited to read something related to KC food that isn't from the Star or the Pitch. Looking forward to watching its evolution as it becomes a fixture in the KC food scene.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 3 weeks later...
I think the shot glass would be a little too predictable.  If you're going to highlight something like hot dog water, do something playful like freezing it and having the servers shave it onto a Vienna sausage torchon at the table.  I'm not sure what would be a good accompaniment, but obviously it should be something involving French's mustard.  :rolleyes:

Or You can put it in an atomizer. :)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=48538

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 4 months later...
I think the shot glass would be a little too predictable.  If you're going to highlight something like hot dog water, do something playful like freezing it and having the servers shave it onto a Vienna sausage torchon at the table.  I'm not sure what would be a good accompaniment, but obviously it should be something involving French's mustard.   :rolleyes:

Or You can put it in an atomizer. :)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=48538

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.... But is this paper gone? I have not seen or heard anything after the first of the year.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.... But is this paper gone? I have not seen or heard anything after the first of the year.

Yes. I believe October was the last issue, unfortunately.

M.F.K. Fisher

That is unfortunate indeed. :sad:

ChefCag, in the spirit of some of the food related suggestions in this thread, do you think Megan would entertain the idea of doing a dessert tasting based on...variations on Girl Scout cookies? It could be a success, I just know it!

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011