• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry ingredients and supply stores in Paris

I'll be travelling to Paris this weekend and I'm in search of a store that sells pastry ingredients such as feuillantine and Valrhona cocoa. Also wood baking moulds (panibois)

and paper liners for individual tarts and eclairs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

For molds and the like, you may want to try Dehillerin, on rue Coquilliere in the 1st. They have everything you can imagine when it comes to cookware.

For ingredients, you could try La Grande Epicerie, at Bon Marche on rue de Sevres in the 7th. I haven't specifically shopped for the things you're looking for (my shopping in Paris tends to run toward those things I'm bringing home to the States), but they have a pretty amazing food hall.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I think you can buy anything and everything you need for baking, including hard to find items, at G. Detou on rue Tiquetonne, a little street in the 2nd near rue Montorgeuil. I have a friend who loves to bake and I know he goes there for hard to find items. It's just a short walk to Dehillerin.

G. Detou

58 rue Tiquetonne - 75002 Paris

Tel : 01 42 36 54 67

Open 8-19h. Closed Sundays

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard of Dehillerin but not G. Detou. I will definitely check out both places!

Just another question, does Matfer have a store in Paris or should I just try my luck at Dehillerin? Thanks!

For more on Dehillerin you may want to go to this ancient thread.

A. Simon just up the street (JJ Rousseau) north from Dehillerin also has stuff in both its stores and come to think of it there's another shop on the South side of Etienne Marcel too (in fact, the quartier used to be teaming with cooking stuff stores in the days of Les Halles - walk about and you'll see the remaining ones).

A. Simon

36 rue Etienne Marcel and

48 rue Montmartre, 75002 Paris

Telephone: 01.42.33.71.65

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard of Dehillerin but not G. Detou. I will definitely check out both places!

Just another question, does Matfer have a store in Paris or should I just try my luck at Dehillerin? Thanks!

I found the following information on the Matfer Bourgeat USA website at: http://www.matferbourgeatusa.com/default.asp

There is a shop in the 1st arrondissement.

Our Locations

Europe: Corporate International Headquarters

Matfer France

9-11, Rue du Tapis Vert - BP73

93260 Les Lilas

Paris, France

* Tel : 33(0)1 43 62 60 40

* Fax : 33(0)1 43 62 50 82

* Email : matfercontact@matferinc.com

* Internet: http://www.matfer.com/

Mora Shop

13, Rue Montmarte

75001 Paris France

* Tel : 01 45 08 19 24

Americas: U.S. Headquarters

Matfer Bourgeat, Inc.

16300 Stagg Street

Van Nuys, California 91406

* Tel : (818) 782-0792

* Fax : (818) 782-0799

* Toll Free : (800) 766-0333

Happy shopping and pastry-making!

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

I second the vote for G. Detou! Also, you may find this link interesting: Story about G. Detou on ChocolateAndZucchini.com

For baking hardware, try:

A. Simon

36 rue Etienne Marcel and

48 rue Montmartre, 75002 Paris

Telephone: 011.33.1.42.33.71.65

M.O.R.A.

13 rue Montmartre, 75001 Paris

Telephone: 011.33.1.45.08.19.24

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 1 year later...

I have been to Dehillerin, Mora, Simon, and Bovida looking for certain Matfer pastry molds. None carry the specific ones I want, although each does carry Matfer products.

Anyone know of other, similar stores that might have a good selection of Matfer pastry-making supplies?

I have been to Dehillerin, Mora, Simon, and Bovida looking for certain Matfer pastry molds. None carry the specific ones I want, although each does carry Matfer products.

Anyone know of other, similar stores that might have a good selection of Matfer pastry-making supplies?

Aside from listing Mora, their website says only:

Matfer France

9-11, Rue du Tapis Vert - BP73

93260 Les Lilas

Paris, France Tel : 33(0)1 43 62 60 40

Fax : 33(0)1 43 62 50 82

Email : matfercontact@matferinc.com

Internet: http://www.matfer.com/

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Call or write Judy Kaminsky at Cookin' in San Francisco. She, if anyone, will know. She also hangs out in Paris.

Cookin'

(415) 861-1854

SFCookin@aol.com

eGullet member #80.

Mafter is owned by Mora.  Check the Mafter website for history.  Perhaps the shapes you are looking for are no longer made?  Perhaps available under a different label but the same product?

I have the Matfer 2006 catalog, 480 pages! I took it with me when I went shopping. Mora had by far the biggest selection. They said what I wanted was part of a relatively new product line and they were only slowly replacing their old stock. Of the four stores I mentioned, they were the only ones who offered to order it for me. The problem was that I'm leaving on Saturday and I won't back for several months.

The good news is that I finally thought of Amazon.com. They didn't have what I wanted, but from other Matfer products I found a seller in North America who buys directly from the Matfer/USA distributor. I ordered exactly what I needed using Matfer catalog numbers (plus a few more things, of course) for delivery to my home in Seattle. Most prices were a little less than in Paris, after figuring in the exchange rate. The site is: http://www.culinarycookware.com Shipping is free on orders over $100. Otherwise it's $9.50.

Margaret is right that the French Matfer site has an interesting history, but other than Mora, all other retail stores mentioned are out of business.

Last point, if anyone is interested: What I wanted was tartelette molds in Exal, Matfer's brand of multiply-coated, non-stick aluminum. The older ones are Exopan, which is steel coated with teflon.

Edited by RandyB (log)