• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rx for a Dreary Day

Capaneus

First: Holly, I *tried* to be good. The search function requires a minimum of four charaters. I ran out after r-x...

Anyway, for those who long wandered just who was behind the tasy food served at Rx since Tim left, the answer is "Mike Hacket", former sous-chef, currently Man in the Kitchen at Rx. Don't get too attached, though: he will be leaving shortly, and owner Greg Salisbury tell us he will be hiring someone of almost superhuman palate and discerniment to fill his place. Soon.

If you want to taste Chef Hackett's cooking, though, I suggest you don't wait: things are tasty right now. We started with seared scallops with an edamame risotto. The creamy, briny shellfish played well off the creaminess of the vegetal side: it provided the bridge between the sweet sea-foam pillows and the snappy green-tasting risotto. The other appetizer at the table was a monstrous order of calamari, battered and fried in a light batter that vaguely evoked the East, and served with a (teriaky-based?) dip. These were delicious, and so light you *almost* forgot they came in a towering pile that severely restricted vision. We suggest you geet over childhood issues and learn to share.

Next, charming Mr. Salisbury gifted us a little entremets of shrimp over sauteed corn, with heirloom cherry tomatoes. The dish did little besides play the flavors off each other - but that was plenty: each was clear as a bell, and delicious (there was a vaguely Asian barbeque sauce on the shrimp, but it was wise enough to stay out of the way).

For an entree, we both chose the steak, largely for the sake of the Zinfandel. No regrets, though: a large, tender, flavorful slab o' beef, it will breach no new taste frontiers for you. But it will satisfy your carnivorous yen, and it *will* match your cab. Or, in this case, zin.

For dessert we had the lemon-verbena creme-brulee, an accomplished rendition of this classic, with a crisp (clearly fresh - why do so many cooks not do this?) crust, its caramel richness setting off the creamy, herbal, citrus-tart custard; and a white peach cobbler with blueberry ice cream, which was somewhat less successful: the blueberry entirely overwhelmed the delicate peach. Nothing wrong with blueberry, but the peach might have been better matched with a more delicate flavor (may I suggest Capogiro's fior de latte? After all, it goes with everything - I said so).

A delicious and delightful evening, with charming, engaging company - and *very* reasonably priced, at $64 before tip.

First: Holly, I *tried* to be good. The search function requires a minimum of four charaters. I ran out after r-x...

Anyway, for those who long wandered just who was behind the tasy food served at Rx since Tim left, the answer is "Mike Hacket", former sous-chef, currently Man in the Kitchen at Rx. Don't get too attached, though: he will be leaving shortly, and owner Greg Salisbury tell us he will be hiring someone of almost superhuman palate and discerniment to fill his place. Soon.

If you want to taste Chef Hackett's cooking, though, I suggest you don't wait: things are tasty right now. We started with seared scallops with an edamame risotto. The creamy, briny shellfish played well off the creaminess of the vegetal side: it provided the bridge between the sweet sea-foam pillows and the snappy green-tasting risotto. The other appetizer at the table was a monstrous order of calamari, battered and fried in a light batter that vaguely evoked the East, and served with a (teriaky-based?) dip. These were delicious, and so light you *almost* forgot they came in a towering pile that severely restricted vision. We suggest you geet over childhood issues and learn to share.

Next, charming Mr. Salisbury gifted us a little entremets of shrimp over sauteed corn, with heirloom cherry tomatoes. The dish did little besides play the flavors off each other - but that was plenty: each was clear as a bell, and delicious (there was a vaguely Asian barbeque sauce on the shrimp, but it was wise enough to stay out of the way).

For an entree, we both chose the steak, largely for the sake of the Zinfandel. No regrets, though: a large, tender, flavorful slab o' beef, it will breach no new taste frontiers for you. But it will satisfy your carnivorous yen, and it *will* match your cab. Or, in this case, zin.

For dessert we had the lemon-verbena creme-brulee, an accomplished rendition of this classic, with a crisp (clearly fresh - why do so many cooks not do this?) crust, its caramel richness setting off the creamy, herbal, citrus-tart custard; and a white peach cobbler with blueberry ice cream, which was somewhat less successful: the blueberry entirely overwhelmed the delicate peach. Nothing wrong with blueberry, but the peach might have been better matched with a more delicate flavor (may I suggest Capogiro's fior de latte? After all, it goes with everything - I said so).

A delicious and delightful evening, with charming, engaging company - and *very* reasonably priced, at $64 before tip.

Tim left? Damn, Rx seemed like the perfect place for him!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I have posted this before but Tim is now working in the wilderness of Lancaster at the "Taste" at the Hotel Brunswick.

That's a good piece of information, and a real gain for Lancaster; have you checked out what he's been up to there?

I have posted this before but Tim is now working in the wilderness of Lancaster at the "Taste" at the Hotel Brunswick.

That's a good piece of information, and a real gain for Lancaster; have you checked out what he's been up to there?

They have only been open a couple of weeks and are only open on weekends right now, I am planning to get in and will report back when I do

• 3 months later...

I had a very nice brunch at Rx today, nothing earth-shattering, just a good, solid, satisfying meal.

I ordered a frittata with nicely spicy chorizo. I was almost a quiche, right down to its wedge shape, but I mean that in a good way. There was a good integration of flavors and cheesey solidity, it wasn't just scrambled eggs with a fancy name, as one gets at some places. It was accompanied by an excellent simple salad.

DDP had a mushroom and cheese omelet which looked great, and he liked a lot. He had the same greens on the side. Feeling a need for a little more protein, he ordered some bacon on the side, which was really good: thick-cut and a little sweet.

Good coffee, friendly service, nice lazy afternoon vibe... perfect.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com