• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Farm Corn Stand

malcolmjolley

I refuse to eat corn on the cob except for the few weeks every august that I can buy it on the side of the road from the person who grew it (not hard anywhere in Southern Ontario).

So far, the best I've had yet came from a stand just north of the hamlet of Greenbank on HWY 7/12, south of Lindsay. I'm ashamed to admit I can't remeber the name of the farm.

A very good batch of peaches and cream (the varietal), rather slender, but I understand that's what's happened to most of the corn this year with the heat.

Any other stands worth a mention out there (please include farms markets)?

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I find corn quite variable. The best corn I've tasted in the past 5yrs came from the fruit stand beside hillebrand winery in NOTL. They actually gave it out for free because it was 2 days old.

Ask to sample the corn. I usually take a bite after I've paid for some and if it's good I'll buy some more. Ask them when the corn was picked. I was told by John Laidfield, the forager for Hillebrand Vineyard Cafe and Peller's restaurant, that corn is at its peak within 8 hours of picking. The sugar starts to turn into starch.

In summary, take a bite before you buy a lot.

I find corn quite variable.  The best corn I've tasted in the past 5yrs came from the fruit stand beside hillebrand winery in NOTL.  They actually gave it out for free because it was 2 days old.

Ask to sample the corn.  I usually take a bite after I've paid for some and if it's good I'll buy some more.  Ask them when the corn was picked.  I was told by John Laidfield, the forager for Hillebrand Vineyard Cafe and Peller's restaurant, that corn is at its peak within 8 hours of picking.  The sugar starts to turn into starch.

In summary, take a bite before you buy a lot.

No way! So you pull up to the stand shuck an ear and take a chomp right there! I love it!

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I buy my corn from Ego Farms on the Hockley Valley Road. I actually buy it at the Orillia Farmer's market where they have a stand. Best corn I know of around here ( Severn River where our cottage is).

If I'm on a leisureley drive through Durham region, I'll always stop at Stroud's Farm, Lake Ridge Rd near Taunton. The owner, Len Stroud brings in Mexican harvesters every summer, and when these guys come to my town (Pickering) on a Saturday night, with loud salsa tunes filling the Beer Store parking lot, it wakes us up! I mean, we come alive too, for a moment.

There is another good corn corner, at Meadowvale and Sheppard, operated from the back of a pick-up from a nearby farm, by the kids earning summer money for college.. It is slightly fresher here than at Stroud's, but the quality of Peaches and Cream is extremely good at most roadside stands this year, since the corn flavour was concentrated and extracted in the dry spell of June and July. Let's hope the grape harvest is concentrated as well, though a wet September could ruin that.