• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Believe it or not: in praise of ... yes, lard!

Gifted Gourmet

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a kilo of gorgeous white lard from the Farmer's market (from organic, free-range pigs).

Are there any savory recipes that have lard as a main ingredient? I'm looking for something beyond using it as a frying medium or for baking (not that I object to using lard in these ways :wub: !).

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I know that people in the USA are probably about fed up with turkey for the moment but consider this recipe for future use:

Turkey in Chocolate Sauce

A Mexican Dish Known as Mole de Guajolote

1 turkey, about 12 lb. (5 1/2 kilo), cut into joints

6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped

2 green peppers, seeded and chopped

2 large onions, chopped coarsely

4 tortillas, fresh or canned and toasted

3 oz. (85 gr.) biter cooking chocolate, grated

1 cup lard

1 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts

1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted

1/4 cup chili powder

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp. powdered cumin

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. powdered aniseed

1/4 tsp. each cinnamon and black pepper

1 bouquet garni made by tying together 3 sprigs of parlsey and 1 bay leaf

Place the turkey in a large kettle, pour over water to cover, add the bouquet garni and cook until the meat is tender (about 1 1/2 hours). Remove the turkey pieces, pat dry and set aside. Reserve the stock and cut the meat into serving pieces.

In a large heavy skillet heat 1/2 cup of the lard or fat and in this brown the turkey pieces on all sides. Transfer the pieces to a casserole and set aside to keep warm. To the skillet add the onions and garlic and saute these until translucent. Place the onions and garlic in a blender and add all the remaining ingredients except the reserved stock. Blend the mixture to a fine paste.

Add the remaining lard or fat to the skillet and in this heat the paste, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When the mixture is smooth stir in 3 cups of the reserved stock, mixing well. Pour the entire sauce over the turkey and bake in a medium oven, covered, until the sauce has thickened (about 1/2 hour). Serve hot. Ideally served with rice. (Serves 8 - 10)

Note: If the lard offends, consider using rendered turkey or chicken fat. :cool:

Scallion Pancakes with oil can't compare to Scallion Pancakes with lard!

Everytime I cook with it, (not often) I can taste my Mother's pies.

I always keep some on hand as I use it in bird pudding. Lucky birds!!

I've only been making pies and other such items with crusts for the last 3 - 4 years or so. From day 1 my crusts (flavor and texture wise, not appearance) have turned out great. My wife says they are better than her Mom's were and everyone likes them. Am I lucky? Am I good? I think neither. In fact I'm sure the reason is Lard. All I've ever done is follow the Joy of Cooking recipe and used half butter and half lard (rather than veg shortening.)

I've used lard with beans too and yes, it makes a big difference. I've only been able to get (or seen) the commerical lard, which usually to find I go to the local Mexican grocery. Maybe this stuff isn't what it use to be but it still beats the heck out of the alternatives. I'll have to try to find a source for better lard. From what I've read, the one thing I've gotta try for sure is French Fries done in lard. On that note, I know the burning point is lower with lard, but can someone tell me what that burning point is? If deep frying in lard, what is the max temp one should use?

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

CtznCane,

At the Mexican market, have you asked at the butcher counter if they have the bulk lard? It is much different from the packaged stuff. Rather than bright white, it has a creamy color and has a much better texture and is not as "plastic" as the commercial stuff.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett