• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vij's

Andy Lynes

Vij's is a restaurant master and he influences all cooking styles in Vancouver. He excels in every aspect of the dinning experience and pushes all restaurateurs to be honest in their culinary pursuits. There are a handful of food leaders in Vancouver and Vij's is one of them.

Really? You think? Wow...I feel ripped off...we went and hey, it was okay, but it wasn't all that wonderful. He's an amazingly skilled host, but from a food standpoint, well, it really wasn't anything I would care to stand in line for a second time. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and give it another shot, maybe I missed something the first time.

Did you bring it to my attention or my managers attention. What did you eat?

Vikram

Wow...I feel ripped off...we went and hey, it was okay, but it wasn't all that wonderful.  He's an amazingly skilled host, but from a food standpoint, well, it really wasn't anything I would care to stand in line for a second time.  

While I've never felt quite as bad the food I've eaten there over the years was fair to good without being outstanding.

Underwhelming comes to mind.

I know Punjabi home cooking and Vij's is an approximation that no more.

The whole 'warm schmoozy host with watery chai in hand' shtick has been done many ways by many people and adds little to the overall experience IMO.

Influencing the Vancouver scene?

That's laughable and shows how many people in this town can't wait to line up and drink each other's used bathwater. :rolleyes:

I have never said that mine is punjabi home cooking. My staff and I are from Punjab but my wife and I had made the decision not to do any regional cooking. It is our style of cooking and my restaurant is like my home that is why we serve you chai while you are waiting because in indian homes one always offers Chai. If the chai was watery because that is the kind of chai was prepared in my house in bombay. There are atleast thousands of ways of making Chai. "Warm shmoozy host with watery chai" is not a Shtick but a genuine gesture of trying to let the people's wait more comfortable and by serving snacks while they are waiting. One waits for a doctor or a lawyer (in general) in an office with 6 months old magazines but waiting for a table with friendly service is considered a "SHTICK"

This is my art and I am very proud of it.

Same thing with the Chutney's. There are so many ways of making them. Just because you know punjabi cooking does not mean you know all INDIAN cooking. Punjab is just one province of India. People in Calcutta and Madras and rest of India makes very tasty food that has no name or boundaries but it tastes good and one gets the sense of sincerity and good ingredients and thats what we try to do.

Vancouverites are well travelled and multicultural do not underestimate their palettes.

As far as the waiting is concerned, your experience of coming to Vij's should start in the waiting area and not just when you are seated at a table. It is like a house party.

My wife and I live in vancouver and we use local products, local wines and combine it with where we came from which is India and that is our style of food.

Vikram Vij

"The whole 'warm schmoozy host with watery chai in hand' shtick has been done many ways by many people and adds little to the overall experience IMO."

What the bleep!!! I can't believe what I am reading here. I have had nothing but excellent meals, wines and genuinely awesome experiences a Vij's. The lamb popsicles, the mango chutney.....great wine list, etc.! Vikram and his staff are definitely not trying to pull off some act. He is a well known chef and, as we know in this city, chef's can have huge egos (I won't even begin with names, but you know who you are), however, he is always gracious and contributes hugely to this city's food scene. I know I am not alone in my love for Vij's - as we can all see by the lineups. Please stop the bashing!

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

My staff and I are from Punjab but my wife and I had made the decision not to do any regional cooking. It is our style of cooking and my restaurant is like my home that is why we serve you chai while you are waiting because in indian homes one always offers Chai. If the chai was watery because that is the kind of chai was prepared in my house in bombay. There are atleast thousands of ways of making Chai. "Warm shmoozy host with watery chai" is not a Shtick but a genuine gesture of trying to let the people's wait  more comfortable and by serving snacks while they are waiting. One waits for a doctor or a lawyer (in general) in an office with 6 months old magazines but waiting for a table with friendly service is considered a "SHTICK"

Vikram Vij

I am having trouble with some of these comments. Vikram stated, "I have never said that mine is punjabi home cooking." and as far as I know he has made a point of saying this, regardless of his father's efforts in the beginning to go more mainstream. I applaud you for sticking to your guns. My experiences at Vij have been excellent and I think Vikram is both warm and welcoming and a truly gracious host. The food in my not so humble opinion is delicious. By the way how's the cookbook coming along? :wink:

Edited by capers (log)

My staff and I are from Punjab but my wife and I had made the decision not to do any regional cooking. It is our style of cooking and my restaurant is like my home that is why we serve you chai while you are waiting because in indian homes one always offers Chai. If the chai was watery because that is the kind of chai was prepared in my house in bombay. There are atleast thousands of ways of making Chai. "Warm shmoozy host with watery chai" is not a Shtick but a genuine gesture of trying to let the people's wait  more comfortable and by serving snacks while they are waiting. One waits for a doctor or a lawyer (in general) in an office with 6 months old magazines but waiting for a table with friendly service is considered a "SHTICK"

Vikram Vij

I am having trouble with some of these comments. Vikram stated, "I have never said that mine is punjabi home cooking." and as far as I know he has made a point of saying this, regardless of his father's efforts in the beginning to go more mainstream. I applaud you for sticking to your guns. My experiences at Vij have been excellent and I think Vikram is both warm and welcoming and a truly gracious host. The food in my not so humble opinion is delicious. By the way how's the cookbook coming along? :wink:

I opened Vij's on west broadway in september of 1994. At that time my parents helped me alot by cooking food in the kitchen. My mother use to make lamb curry and some other things. My father and mother went back to India in Jan 1995. Meeru ( my wife) and I ran Vij's. At that time because I was ayoung restaurant and afraid that maybe I would not be accepted as being different,my influences were more mainstream and not so experimental. As we moved in 1996 to our present location, Meeru started experimenting more in the kitchen and we got the confidence. Manny's lunch on broadway was taken over by my dad when he migrated in 1996 in the fall. Because it was lunch only we kept a little bit more mainstream but I never did butter chicken or chicken tikka masala. We always did dishes like Chicken Curry and Lamb Curry but no names.

I am a punjabi from Amritsar and my style of cooking is my home cooking. There have been dishes like Saag paneer but still it was not mainstream.

Meeru is working hard on the cookbook. Hopefully 2006 fall.

Vikram

We thought that the whole atmosphere were wonderful...the service was top notch and we felt welcome, exactly like we were visiting someone's home...that was the very best part of the experience and for that alone, I can see why people might line up. I did not feel that it was schtick in any way shape or form. Vikram is a marvelous host, and his staff are all very good. Even the woman at Rangoli was wonderful to me and all I bought was some take away chutney and a glass of bottled water, which she rustled up from somewhere and put in a cup for me because I asked for something sugar free. So top marks there. Really wonderful and gracious.

Much of the food we had was very good. The little 'freebies' were a great touch, and I personally enjoyed the chai as well. Merridale cider is a favorite and that was wonderful with the food.

We had a nice daal to start, and some chick peas, I believe. Enjoyed that very much.

For mains, we had a braised beef dish, which was the best dish of the night. We also had the duck and the lamb. To be honest, I got the impression that the meat had been cooked earlier and reheated. But perhaps that was just me. The sauce with the duck was fine, but the texture of the meat was a bit off for me. I did not care for the lamb at all, I found the sauce a bit sour for my taste. I'm not saying it was bad food, just food I did not like.

When I said I felt ripped off, I didn't mean it in the 'you took my money and gave me nothing' sense. I meant it in the 'everyone is saying that this is the most amazing thing in the world and I didn't think so' sense. Part of that may be because I am a fairly accomplished Indian cook myself, and it may be that I like home cooking too much. Perhaps just a case of an amritsari daal girl in a lamb popsicle setting, if you see what I mean.

I did like the all female brigade, but I wondered why they had so much time to stand around watching the room...I know you run a well oiled machine, but I've never worked on a line and had time like that to spare.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Interesting thread this one.

Am i alone in thinking its great to see Vikram joining egullet and offering his esteemed opinions.

But the fact that Mr Vij has been drawn out from his Quiet "lurker" status to defend his establishment, seems to me as the wrong way to get one of this cities greatest restaurateur`s involved in egullet.

anyway as you were

tt

Great to see you joining the ranks of active posters, VV!

You actually played an indirect part in my arrival here at eGullet, a year and a half ago. I was listening to Stuart MacLean's "Vinyl Cafe" on CBC 2, and he was talking about visiting your restaurant with a friend. He made your place sound *so* damned good, I had to Google you up...and found myself reading threads here on this forum. I joined a couple of months later, after exams were over.

I haven't been in Vancouver since 1993 (briefly), but next time I'm there I will be first in line outside your door one night.

PS: A good friend of ours back home in Halifax was a Punjabi from Amritsar. I used to make him things like carrot halwa when he was homesick...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Interesting thread this one.

Am i alone in thinking its great to see Vikram joining egullet and offering his esteemed opinions.

But the fact that Mr Vij has been drawn out from his Quiet "lurker" status to defend his establishment, seems to me as the wrong way to get one of this cities greatest restaurateur`s involved in egullet.

anyway as you were

I agree with that TFA, but I'm glad he is here if only to see that his supporters rank far more highly than his critics.

Don't change a thing Vikram. Your house and your art are delicious and enchanting.

This debate is fascinating to me, particularly in that we have the "die hard Vij's fans" versus "those that are not quite so impressed".

Seems that the fans want to quash the comments of those who have perhaps, enjoyed a less than stellar meal... part of that potential due to all the hype. Really, it is a matter of taste, isn't it?

What it really boils down to is ... some people love Vij's... some don't... it's really okay to disagree...

Don't you think?

We don't have to be one big love-in happy family all the time......

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

This debate is fascinating to me, particularly in that we have the "die hard Vij's fans" versus "those that are not quite so impressed".

Seems that the fans want to quash the comments of those who have perhaps, enjoyed a less than stellar meal... part of that potential due to all the hype.  Really, it is a matter of taste, isn't it?

What it really boils down to is ... some people love Vij's... some don't... it's really okay to disagree...

Don't you think? 

We don't have to be one big love-in happy family all the time......

oh very true Sarah.

One of the many problems that face successful restaurants is hype, you have too much then you open yourself up to customers with unrealistically high expectations, conversely not enough hype and your empty.

Opinions should flow freely here and Mr Vij has a right to answer them, and he has very eloquently.

But how many other restaurant owners and head chefs will we see posting on here out of defence., and wouldn`t it be better for egullet and its members to have these industry figure`s here because the want to be involved as opposed to keeping y`all in check ?

or to put it another way

In a discussion about food and restaurants would you prefer to get nuggets of culinary inspiration and wisdom from Vikram or hear him defend himself from the nit-pickers

any way how are ya ? long time no type

tt

I wonder if Sam is still ticked off with the incense smoke..

Recently he said -

"Had lunch 2 weeks ago @ Rangoli and asked Vij to put out the gawd awful incense he had burning near us."

Vikram,

Please keep doing what you are doing.

Edited by Cap'n Crunch (log)

Opinions should flow freely here and Mr Vij has a right to answer them, and he has very eloquently.

Both good points ... but we really need to keep the discussion focussed on the restaurant, the food, the man ... :laugh:

I think it's pretty safe to say that we'll have different opinions on many subjects. That's exactly why we exist. Reviewing the reviews is not what eGullet is about.

A.

Having lunch at Rangoli is the highlight of a day shopping on S. Granville. I often take my mother, and we always have a great meal with a couple glasses of wine. I have always been impressed with how gracious a host Vikram is, and truly enjoy the food.

My only quibble: please bring back the lamb saag!!!

Just wanted to chime in with another voice in the 'love Vijs' category. I travel a lot and one of the things I'm constantly looking for is very good indian restaurants. I remember the first time I went to Vij's and in talking to Vikram it was very clear he wasn't aiming for something that is textbook authentic but rather something original. If for no other reason I think Vijs is outstanding for this point. When you eat Indian often (and lets be clear we are talking restaurants here not at home) just the sight of another uninspired, tried and true, safe menu is a let down regardless of how well those dishes are done. I will not say that Vijs is perfect or for everyone and I hope they continue to do original and different dishes. So if you are looking for something authentic perhaps Vijs may not be for you the same way many people do not like the fusion of asian and french food. For my personal tastes I will choose Vijs when I'm looking for inspiration and elsewhere when I want something more traditional.

We had dinner at Vij's last night, after almost two years I have to admit. We are very loyal customers of Rangoli so that makes up for it I hope! Take out food and weekend patio lunches are a bit more compatible with Jr's presence in our household.

Anyway...it was a Monday, no lineup at the door at 7pm and only a 10 minute wait for a table. So far so good! Connie was happy to find Joie on the menu so it wasn't long until we were happily sipping away and munching on the little morsels that the staff handed out. I had the striped bass in sour cream curry and Connie had the grilled kale and chick peas which was intensely flavorful and spicy. The Joie did wonders here to cool the palate for sure.

Next up came the mango, eggplant and new potato curry for Connie and the shortribs for myself. The shortribs were delectable, braised in red wine with cinnamon and curry spice which provided a rich, thick sauce that could be mopped up with the cauliflower and honey parantas.

Thomas Haas's chocolates were dessert for me (what else could I eat!) and I had to dash into a closing Rangoli to pick up some more of those treats on the way out.

Needless to say we loved it, great food, good service, we had a nice evening out.

I love Indian food and eat a lot of it in many different restaurants. Sometimes I feel like a classic Vindaloo and will head for a traditional place like Raga on Broadway and get my fill. Sometimes I feel like Maurya (love the naan there) and sometimes if I want a different experience altogether I will go to Vij's again. You can't judge them all alike or say that Vij's doesn't offer authentic Punjabi food since I guess you can really only get that in Punjab. He definitely has his own style and cuisine and I for one am happy we have it in Vancouver. (And walking distance from our house :smile: )

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

It's great to see the content on this thread. Vij's has always been a passion of mine. I guess after a number of years trolling the Indian restaurants of Brick Lane in London you appreciate what Vij's does here on the home turf. The service, food, Rangoli take/eat-in, and the man himself make this a one of a kind restaurant. Vikram... you are the best!

Stephen and Helen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Mark me down as someone who respects and appreciates Vij's, and a semi-loyal Rangoli customer. Our experiences at Vij's haven't been perfect, but I would call them dependably great.

Now to my question:

Mr. Vij (or someone else who may know), what is the reason that neither Vij's nor Rangoli offers your take on Butter Chicken? To me, paradise is defined as being submerged in a vat of butter chicken and having to eat my way out. I would be interested in a non-traditional version of the dish, and always wondered why you didn't offer the Vij version.

I just want to add my 2 cents here. I don't get to dine out often as I am chained to a 12 burner gas range. Once a month is the norm. However, Vij's is the only restaurant I've ever been to 4 times in a month besides my own. That's the equivelant of Ling going there 4 times in a night! It's also the first restaurant I bring guests from out of town (besides Aurora).

I have nothing but respect for Vikram and Meeru and all thier staff.

Keep up the good work.

Jeff

• 3 months later...

After living in this fair city for five and a half years, I finally had my first meal at Vij's tonight. I am writing this so early in the evening (it's not yet 8:30) because we arrived at 5:30 on the dot, in hopes that my impatient mother in law wouldn't have to wait. We didn't; we got one of the last free tables in the house.

Today is my wedding anniversary, and my husband is traveling abroad. When my in-laws asked me last week if they could take me to dinner, my first response was "Let's go to Vij's." I've been wanting to go forever -- I'm a frequent customer at Rangoli -- but had never made it to Vij's.

The meal didn't disappoint. I prefer my hot drinks to be on the not-too-sweet side, and the chai was flavorful, rich and sweet, but not overly sweet. Very nice.

To start, my father in law and I shared the prawns in mango reduction. Prawns were flavorful and juicy -- nice that the prawn flavor was an integral part of the dish, and not just the delivery system for the sauce, which is what I find often with prawn dishes.

I would have liked to have sampled more of the starters, but since we weren't dining on my dime, I held myself back :)

For my main, I had the lamb popsicles. I SO agree with everyone here -- this dish is so flavorful, with the lamb cooked to perfection and the fenugreek curry so completely addictive. The sublime creaminess with the spicy kick is something I'm sure I'll be craving.

I had lovely kheer and more chai to finish -- on the kheer, nice balance of creaminess and nuttiness, not too thick but not thin at all.

In all, the food was fabulous, Vij was working the room (does he ever sleep?!), and the chefs in the kitchen were turning out an impressive amount of dishes, all the while with big smiles on their faces and no visible signs of stress -- quite a treat to see.

I do love my in-laws, but I really can't wait to come back to Vij's and experience it the RIGHT way (well, MY way, anyway) -- with more sampling and a more relaxed vibe at the table. (I won't air my dirty laundry, but dining with people who are not easily satisfied can be stressful. :))

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I've only been to Vij's once, but the food was great. If I didn't live in North Van, I'd be there more often. I could definitely do without the long waits though. I would love to see reservations accepted.

On the Vij's website Vij mentions that the cost of the reservation system is put back into the menu. I think that is also put back into the warmth and spirit of Vij's and Rangoli.

In a restaurant of Vij's calibre the cost of a reservation system is not just monetary. When a restaurateur is trying to provide a guest experience of the highest order and guest expectations and demands are even higher, then the person that answers the phone must be very well-acquainted with the restaurant and have a position of some authority. The person must also be at the restaurant during 'reservation-business-hours', these being sometime around eleven a.m. until five p.m. When a reservation is discussed the guest's impression and experience of the restaurant begin when the receiver is taken out of the cradle.

Where I work the restaurant managers begin their day before noon so that they can attend to guests concerns and questions over the phone. They end their day well past midnight when the last staff member leaves. You can imagine how stressful and tiring a day like that can be. While I imagine that Vij works just as hard, (just today I saw him packing his patio chairs into his vehicle late in the afternoon,) I think that given Vij's attention to detail and desire to fulfill our expectations he would feel compelled to be there all day-every day to ensure that we were looked after properly when we needed to discuss our dinner plans. I have been 'held hostage' by the phone when I contributed to running restaurants and I would not wish that life on anyone.

When I read what Vij had written on the website about the cost of the reservation system being put back into the menu I understood and read-into that sentence that his energy is being spent elsewhere, on more important aspects and the sometimes mundane and practical, yet necessary tasks that running a restaurant requires.

I'm awfully sorry for the lecture, but I think that understanding and appreciating this small aspect of the cost of the service of a reservation system will hopefully make the wait at Vij's a little easier to take.

I also apologize for the run-on sentences, my internal editor went to sleep a long time ago.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

I think the on thing I really really respect about Vij's is that it doesn't pass itself as 'authentic' indian food but instead as 'this is what >I< like to eat at home'. I mean speaking as someone from a chinese family, our food at home is NOT listed as 'authentic chinese food'. And in fact Sandy's chinese food at her home is also not authentic and not the same as mine.

For a restaurant that serves 'home style cooking with a restaurant style flare" (certainly I assume some ingredients in Vij's dishes are not the typical foods you would have at home on a regular basis) I think it has done quite well for itself. The popularity proves that Vij has pretty good taste.

That being said, I did find Vij's a bit pricey for me so I reserve it as a 'special occasion' place and not somewhere I'd like to pop into all the time.

Does the 'no reservation policy' really work? I like reservations, I like to feel smart and 'book ahead' so even though it certainly doesn't look like Vij's is hurting for business, how bad is taking reservations? Certainly if I'm being invited into someone's home there is an implicit "reservation" is there not? I don't think I tend to invite guests over to my house and then tell them "oh sorry, these other friends were here first so can you wait a sec?"

[Added]

Thanks Bubbalicious for the insight into the 'reservation system' I hadn't considered the "cost" associated but it is a totally valid point. It certainly puts the whole assumption that people don't do reservations because they like the sight of crowds outside a restaurant to bed. I'm not sure I agree that it is a good move regardless since I know of say 20 friends, 10 will NOT go to a restaurant which does not take reservations - they see it as a respect issue, they don't feel they are being treated with respect when they can't call ahead of time to book a time to eat.

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

We had dinner at Vij's last night, after almost two years I have to admit. We are very loyal customers of Rangoli so that makes up for it I hope! Take out food and weekend patio lunches are a bit more compatible with Jr's presence in our household.

If anyone here goes camping, the secret weapon to a very very successful camping trip is Rangoli's. My god. Take a couple 'o conveniently vacuum sealed bags, throw em into your pack with some rice and go hike/kayak/whatever. Your fellow campers will worship you like a god.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello