• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barritt's Ginger Beer

birder53

Found Barritt's Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer at our local King's supermarket last week. I knew there were a few discussions of drinks using ginger beer, so into the cart it went. We tried Dark'n' Stormy last week. Very good. This weekend it was a Moscow Mule, or two or three! :shock: Damn good drink!

The Barritt's was about $4.50 or so for four bottles. I saw Goya ginger beer for $0.59 so a taste test was in order. The Barritt's was smoother and still had a wonderful ginger kick. We thought the Goya was spicier, but not as smooth. I'll have to find a better price for the Barritt's, as it was very easy to go through lots of it really fast. These are great summer drinks!

KathyM

Found Barritt's Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer at our local King's supermarket last week.  I knew there were a few discussions of drinks using ginger beer, so into the cart it went.  We tried Dark'n' Stormy last week.  Very good.  This weekend it was a Moscow Mule, or two or three! :shock:  Damn good drink!

The Barritt's was about $4.50 or so for four bottles.  I saw Goya ginger beer for $0.59 so a taste test was in order.  The Barritt's was smoother and still had a wonderful ginger kick.  We thought the Goya was spicier, but not as smooth.  I'll have to find a better price for the Barritt's, as it was very easy to go through lots of it really fast.  These are great summer drinks!

The $4.50/4 isn't a bad price for the Barritt's that I greatly prefer in a Dark & Stormy. Not sure how it works in N.J. but I sometimes go to a big liquor/wine store in Laurel, Md and they order me a case (24) of the Barritt's from their beverage distributor for around $20.00

The Goya is MUCH spicier, as is the Jamaican kind with the Qetzaquatal-looking bird on the label (or maybe that IS the Goya).

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I saw this at Beverages and More, along with a number of other ginger beers and ginger ales. Seemed like a perfect opportunity to try some new ones (my usual is Reed's).

I tried the Barritt's first, in a drink inspired by Dale DeGroff's Anejo Highball: 2 oz. anejo rum, 1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum, 1/2 oz. lime juice, dash of peach (or orange) bitters. Top with ginger beer. (DeGroff's version is about the same, but uses triple sec instead of Falernum and contains no bitters.) I also tried it with plain rum. It was great.

I'm looking forward to trying the others.

The Goya is MUCH spicier, as is the Jamaican kind with the Qetzaquatal-looking bird on the label (or maybe that IS the Goya).

The Jamaican brand I'm familiar with is D&G, who also makes Champagne Kola (good but very sweet) and a good pineapple soda. The D&G I've consumed int he past at Jamaican restaurants doesn't show up in on-line searches but the D&G "Old jamaica" style does. No bird onthe label but Goya does nto have a bird either.

I think the Goya is not necessarily too spicy but I don't like the style of the bite. I tried a california based brand I really liked that had bite but was very smooth and had citrus oveotnes as well. But can't find it anymore - my neighborhood bistro went to all Jarillos mexican soda instead - their tamarind soda might make a very good mixer.