• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you could live anywhere/world, where would it be?

Ruby

As a native New Yorker, I'm often asked that if I had to to choose to live anywhere else in the world besides New York, where would it be. My answer is always the same: London, England. To me, London has a  wonderful energy similar to New York City yet unique in its very own right. I enjoy the people, places and vibe there as well as outside of  London (for example: Brighton). Plus, I love people's accents and they somehow can understand my Noo Yawk accent too!

After I answer the first question, the next response I usually get is: "but the food is kind of bland." No, I don't think so - maybe if one wants to date themselves back to overcooked roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. This got me thinking about how much local food, ingredients, and restaurants might color one's decision to relocate besides the obvious ones like a job, housing, etc.

So, where would you live if you could live anywhere in the world? How does food play into this?

There is no where else I would choose to live.  I love Paris, but only to visit (except now for...oh no, we've already discussed that issue).  No other city has the combination of ingredients that NY has.  But, you have to be able to leave it frequently or it can grind you down.  London is a bore to me.  I'd tire of Rome pretty quickly.  San Fransisco is too small, LA is not too anything.  Rio is horrible (poverty cheek by jowl with excess).

I liked San Paolo, but think I would feel like an outsider and be excluded there.  :raz: (really).  Chicago-fuggeddaboudit, Tokyo-never.  

It's NYC hands down.

If the sole consideration is food then for me it would have to be Hong Kong. Maybe I was lucky I was with friends who knew what they were doing but the 6 days I spent there were a total gastronomic revelation and opened my eyes to the truth,much denied on these boards, that Oriental cuisine at its best is easily as evolved and as sophisticated as French or other European cuisines.

I like Bangkok for a few days, but the traffic and fumes would put me off a long stretch.  Purely for food, there's a lot to be said for Sydney.  Personally, I don't do the outdoor water-sport thing, so that's a downside.

I HAVE lived lots of places, and I mean lots and lots and lots of places, and have to fess up that it would be difficult for me to permanently leave Texas, just because of the barbecue and Mexican food.  Of course, lots of places have good Mexican food, including Mexico, but got to have that barbecue, too.  

I really do hate to admit that food is that important to me (and wouldn't, face to face), but when I'm not here for long periods of time, can never get quite "settled" without my occasional "fix" of 'cue & Mex.

But if I were a rich girl, would have a condo in downtown Seattle, one here in Austin, and another somewhere in Mexico, maybe PV or Cozumel.  Or, maybe in Homer, Alaska...or Sitka.  Or Juneau, where I could work at the saloon in the Alaska Hotel.    

Golly, good thing I don't HAVE to decide!  Obviously, I couldn't.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If the sole consideration is food then for me it would have to be Hong Kong. Maybe I was lucky I was with friends who knew what they were doing but the 6 days I spent there were a total gastronomic revelation and opened my eyes to the truth,much denied on these boards, that Oriental cuisine at its best is easily as evolved and as sophisticated as French or other European cuisines.

I did live in Hong Kong.  It was absolutely fabulous and I had a great time.  Agree with you totally about the food, but after a while, you get "island fever."  There's just nowhere else to go easily.  Yeah...the boat to Macao and the train into China, but it's really pretty restricted.  There's no "just gettin' in my car and drivin' down the highway," I'll tell you that.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

the truth,much denied on these boards, that Oriental cuisine at its best is easily as evolved and as sophisticated as French or other European cuisines.

I'd be much obliged for a pointer to any threads discussing the literally incredible point of view that Asian or even Oriental cuisines are somehow lesser than European ones. Always looking to learn something...

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

I'd be much obliged for a pointer to any threads discussing the literally incredible point of view that Asian or even Oriental cuisines are somehow lesser than European ones. Always looking to learn something...

Egad, Robert. I'll try to find the links. Of course, they'll be blank when they upgrade happens...

Look through the UK Board and the dreaded English Food and Restaurants threads. Look for any thread there started by Mr. P that's over 5 pages long.

Then the History of Indian Food thread and a few others on the India Board.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I said Barcelona.  I should also have said, not for the restaurants.  For the markets and produce.  I would like to spend a large part of the rest of my life in La Boqueria market.  Maybe I could get a job as a porter.

I am lucky to live in the one place I would truly want to live, London.

If I had to choose anywhere else, it would be a small isolated cottage on the west coast of Ireland ( preferably Clifden in Galway ) overlooking the bay and within easy reach of the mussel markets and oyster beds.

I had the best of both worlds when I lived on the Mizen Penninsula in West Cork, Ireland, and spent about 3 months of the year in NY. Foodwise, West Cork was amazing - the fish and seafood, local grass-fed beef and lamb, abundant produce, local cheeses, great shops and restaurants. If I couldn't live near NY, I would take London as a very close second choice.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega