• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tex's Barbecue

philadining

gallery_23992_1504_3994.jpg

So, what, I was supposed to walk past this?

I was hoping that they'd be set-up in this parking lot in Phoenixville all summer, but it turns out they rove around, so keep an eye out, or better yet check their website to find out where Tex's Barbecue might show up next.

There was a whole lot of smoke going on, and I could see good real wood stacked up in a flatbed truck, and smoldering down when the pitmaster (Tex, I would presume) opened an end to douse a flame-up.

They didn't have any brisket today, but I tried their ribs

gallery_23992_1504_39114.jpg

Which had a medium smoke flavor, but a really nice (black) peppery spice and a good tenderness. Their homemade sauce is neither watery nor thick, bright red, but not too hot or sweet, assertive with black pepper like the ribs. It was really good on the meat.

I also got a pulled-pork sandwich

gallery_23992_1504_58139.jpg

which was doused in that good sauce, but not too much... It was really nice and tender and juicy, but I didn't get many of those crusty outside bits I like. I did get one little weird ashy dry nugget that wasn't too great, but I can overlook it...

The pork sandwich was quite generous for $4, even if it was on a plain-old supermarket hamburger roll. A rack of ribs is about $16 or 17, I bought a slab that was a couple of ribs shy of a rack, they had sold a few ribs to the guy in front of me and I was happy to take the remainder which they weighed-out and charged about $14.

I wouldn't say it's the BEST barbecue I've had, but it's pretty darn good, and if they pull up in a lot a few blocks from you, their rating seems to go up a few notches!

So keep an eye out for Tex...

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Nice shootin', Tex! (Sorry, I had to say that.)

I also got a pulled-pork sandwich

gallery_23992_1504_58139.jpg

which was doused in that good sauce, but not too much... It was really nice and tender and juicy, but I didn't get many of those crusty outside bits I like. I did get one little weird ashy dry nugget that wasn't too great, but I can overlook it...

The pork sandwich was quite generous for $4, even if it was on a plain-old supermarket hamburger roll.

That is a heck of a deal. No worries about the hamburger roll: it's axiomatic that BBQ should be served on the cheapest, plainest supermarket bread available. Anything else is proof of big-city decadence...

I have tried Tex's pulled pork sandwich and it is quite juicy and good. I had not tried the ribs before, so I am glad philadining posted about them.

Hope this is not off topic....

For those in Chester County, there is a relatively new BBQ place in West Chester called Mabel's (no website that I could find) and I will post my review on their eats shortly.

The best ribs I have found so far in Ches Co were NC style ribs from Crepe Myrtle in the Downingtown Milltown Markets. They have great sides of sweet potato and collard greens too.

Anyway, will have to make a Tex run soon.

Edited by percyn (log)

I am convinced that Phili leads all other cities in the best food truck dining and looks like these folks are continuing the tradition.

Check out the Carribean food truck next to union station. Real good.

Hope this is not off topic....

For those in Chester County, there is a relatively new BBQ place in West Chester called Mabel's (no website that I could find) and I will post my review on their eats shortly.

I got some take out from Mabel's a while back (they don't have tables) and I thought it was pretty good. It's more of a plain homestyle food place than the maniacal artisan smoker shrines that we see a lot of these days. I got a half rack of ribs, which were not really smokey, but probably weren't supposed to be.... they were really quite tender, falling off the bone for better or worse, and very tasty with a nice sweet sauce on them. I also had some OK Mac and Cheese, and excellent basic greens. I think all that was like $10 or something.

I'd go back, but it's not really a destination for barbecue aficionados, more like a spot for good basic homey food.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I am convinced that Phili leads all other cities in the best food truck dining and looks like these folks are continuing the tradition. 

Check out the Carribean food truck next to union station.  Real good.

Do you mean 30th Street Station?

And if so, which Carribean truck, Denise's (which I think is the pink one) or the other one in the middle of the block?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.