• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Wordsmithing: changed "as told" to "first described"

Well, I haven't had any more time to try out the panini press or do much cooking, beyond dinner salads. Today I was treated to this pre-sunrise sun show this morning (2 different exposures):

20240225_161030.jpg

I took the opportunity yesterday to go back to Shawarma Vibes, first described in this post. This time I took time to photograph some of the wonderful wall art. I particularly like the one on the right, below:

20240225_160129.jpg

Others:

20240225_160229.jpg

I ordered the Shawarmaholic platter: chicken and beef shawarma atop a bed of rice, with fattoush salad, hummus, tahineh, garlic sauce, and a pita:

20240224_131357.jpg

It's a LOT of food.

20240224_131412.jpg

The rice and meat were delicious:

20240225_160504.jpg

The fattoush was pretty good. In all honesty, I prefer my own salad dressing, garlic sauce and tahineh...in fact, I had to ask what the reddish stuff was (their version of tahineh). The garlic sauce was essentially mayonnaise with garlic stirred in: at that point, it really is affected by the quality of the mayo and the garlic. Meh.

Not shown: their stellar lentil soup. This time I remembered to ask about the soup base. It's a vegetable base. Their pita chips are great, too. I also brought home a small serving of tabbouli, since I haven't had time to make my own. Again, it isn't bad -- but I like mine better when I have time to make it.

So...I'd still recommend this place to anyone looking for Middle Eastern food around Yuma, but maybe I have it out of my system for a while. Besides, I'll be eating on this particular meal for quite some time.

Smithy

Smithy

Well, I haven't had any more time to try out the panini press or do much cooking, beyond dinner salads. Today I was treated to this pre-sunrise sun show this morning (2 different exposures):

20240225_161030.jpg

I took the opportunity yesterday to go back to Shawarma Vibes, as told in this post. This time I took time to photograph some of the wonderful wall art. I particularly like the one on the right, below:

20240225_160129.jpg

Others:

20240225_160229.jpg

I ordered the Shawarmaholic platter: chicken and beef shawarma atop a bed of rice, with fattoush salad, hummus, tahineh, garlic sauce, and a pita:

20240224_131357.jpg

It's a LOT of food.

20240224_131412.jpg

The rice and meat were delicious:

20240225_160504.jpg

The fattoush was pretty good. In all honesty, I prefer my own salad dressing, garlic sauce and tahineh...in fact, I had to ask what the reddish stuff was (their version of tahineh). The garlic sauce was essentially mayonnaise with garlic stirred in: at that point, it really is affected by the quality of the mayo and the garlic. Meh.

Not shown: their stellar lentil soup. This time I remembered to ask about the soup base. It's a vegetable base. Their pita chips are great, too. I also brought home a small serving of tabbouli, since I haven't had time to make my own. Again, it isn't bad -- but I like mine better when I have time to make it.

So...I'd still recommend this place to anyone looking for Middle Eastern food around Yuma, but maybe I have it out of my system for a while. Besides, I'll be eating on this particular meal for quite some time.