• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected location. We aren't in eastern Arizona as originally written.

We've changed the scenery and the trailer orientation. It's much greener here in western Arizona, a couple thousand feet higher and a couple hundred miles east of where we've spent the last few months. The sunrise has to be viewed out our back windows now.

20230326_074555.jpg

It's strange to see city lights again: still distant, but close enough to be distinct. I was disoriented when I got up last night and looked out my window and saw lights where the railyard some miles away has been for the last few months. "Why all those lights at this hour?" I wondered, "was there a derailment?" Then I remembered that we'd moved.

Breaking camp was a bit of an adventure. After staying in one place for so long, we'd forgotten exactly where things go and how to fit them together. An observer would have been amused to see us puzzling over how to fold a camp chair enough to go back into its sleeve: with a Ph.D. and M.S. between us, it still took 15 minutes to get it right! At least we could laugh about it.

With all that going on, we didn't take time for the usual breakfast. I made sandwiches for our breakfast and lunch, and we ate as the fit took us.

20230326_072030.jpg

After we got settled into our new digs we walked, visited with the camp host, and struggled to stay up past sunset. Neither of us was interested in elaborate dinner preparations: too tired, and not interested in a fuss or much cleanup. This is where the precooked, frozen dinners we make in batches come into play. "Chili it is!" we said.

We had found his last batch lacking something -- exactly what, we weren't sure (I blame the tomatoes) but had decided to buy a bunch of fresh spices during this shopping expedition. Among the spices we purchased were a package of "mild chili powder" and a bottle of Gebhardt chili powder. We'd never heard of that brand before, and had decided to try it out.

20230326_072402.jpg

Both chili powders were good. We thought the Tampico blend might be slightly sweeter; I think it's also saltier but can't read the label well enough to be sure. For me, sour cream was the final touch to bring out the good flavors of the chili and the spices.

Lesson learned: get rid of the old chili powders in my cabinet! I know the stuff goes stale; I just don't know how quickly.

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected location. We aren't in eastern Arizona as originally written.

We've changed the scenery and the trailer orientation. It's much greener here in western Arizona, a couple thousand feet higher and a couple hundred miles east of where we've spent the last few months. The sunrise has to be viewed out or back windows now.

20230326_074555.jpg

It's strange to see city lights again: still distant, but close enough to be distinct. I was disoriented when I got up last night and looked out my window and saw lights where the railyard some miles away has been for the last few months. "Why all those lights at this hour?" I wondered, "was there a derailment?" Then I remembered that we'd moved.

Breaking camp was a bit of an adventure. After staying in one place for so long, we'd forgotten exactly where things go and how to fit them together. An observer would have been amused to see us puzzling over how to fold a camp chair enough to go back into its sleeve: with a Ph.D. and M.S. between us, it still took 15 minutes to get it right! At least we could laugh about it.

With all that going on, we didn't take time for the usual breakfast. I made sandwiches for our breakfast and lunch, and we ate as the fit took us.

20230326_072030.jpg

After we got settled into our new digs we walked, visited with the camp host, and struggled to stay up past sunset. Neither of us was interested in elaborate dinner preparations: too tired, and not interested in a fuss or much cleanup. This is where the precooked, frozen dinners we make in batches come into play. "Chili it is!" we said.

We had found his last batch lacking something -- exactly what, we weren't sure (I blame the tomatoes) but had decided to buy a bunch of fresh spices during this shopping expedition. Among the spices we purchased were a package of "mild chili powder" and a bottle of Gebhardt chili powder. We'd never heard of that brand before, and had decided to try it out.

20230326_072402.jpg

Both chili powders were good. We thought the Tampico blend might be slightly sweeter; I think it's also saltier but can't read the label well enough to be sure. For me, sour cream was the final touch to bring out the good flavors of the chili and the spices.

Lesson learned: get rid of the old chili powders in my cabinet! I know the stuff goes stale; I just don't know how quickly.

Smithy

Smithy

We've changed the scenery and the trailer orientation. It's much greener here in eastern Arizona, a couple thousand feet higher and a couple hundred miles east of where we've spent the last few months. The sunrise has to be viewed out or back windows now.

20230326_074555.jpg

20230326_072030.jpg

20230326_072402.jpg