• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Many thanks, Dave! Yes, I hope to be frying fish in the next few days, and there's still shrimp in the freezer. Of course I have questions...

1. If I can't find rice flour (it may be at home) what would be the substitution amount for cornstarch? Same weight? Same volume? Or neither? Or should I add rice flour to our shopping list 🙂

2. By "plus a couple tablespoons for dusting the food" do you mean after it's been pulled from the oil? (Why?)

3. About what size did you cut that fish to?

4. Did you cook the potatoes in the same oil, but without the coating?

5. What accounts for the slightly more substantial nature of the second coating? The extra carbonation from doubling the beer? The only other difference I see is the amount of salt.

Edited to add: so far I've found garbanzo flour in the Princessmobile. Do you have any ideas about how it would work in place of the rice flour?

Smithy

Smithy

Many thanks, Dave! Yes, I hope to be frying fish in the next few days, and there's still shrimp in the freezer. Of course I have questions...

1. If I can't find rice flour (it may be at home) what would be the substitution amount for cornstarch? Same weight? Same volume? Or neither? Or should I add rice flour to our shopping list 🙂

2. By "plus a couple tablespoons for dusting the food" do you mean after it's been pulled from the oil? (Why?)

3. About what size did you cut that fish to?

4. Did you cook the potatoes in the same oil, but without the coating?

5. What accounts for the slightly more substantial nature of the second coating? The extra carbonation from doubling the beer? The only other difference I see is the amount of salt.