• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected shout-out from LindaK to lindag

"Let's go to the Salton Sea!" we said.

- "It won't be as windy there!" we said.

- "It won't be as hot there!" we said.

- "Things may be blooming there!" we said.

- "The roads are better and a change of scenery for cycling will be good!" we said.

Well, one of those four predictions was right. Two, if you squint. It's been blowing like crazy here most days, and hot. If it weren't blowing so hard it would be even hotter, so we're counting our blessings on that front. The Salton Sea provides a nice cooling effect when the wind is right. Its moodiness reminds me of why I fell in love with Lake Superior.

20220320_161141-1.jpg

We stopped for a few groceries in a little town along the way, and were hit with the sticker shock so many of you have talked about. A pint of Miracle Whip was $6.70! That didn't stop us from buying it, but I really hope it was more the small-town-grocer effect than the supply-chain price effect. We picked up pork steaks of the type he likes, and chicken for a dish I plan to do. 

20220317_130904-1.jpg

Moving camp is always a big deal, especially when we've been set up for so long. The outdoor kitchen had been packed the day before, leaving the forlorn campfire setup I showed you before. Still...it was a chore to move even a couple hundred miles, and we were tired when we finished.

When we got set up, we sat out and admired the new view

20220320_161614-1.jpg

and each had a beer. I promised someone - @lindag I think? - to show my favorite beer. Truth is, I've had very little beer this trip. That night, it tasted mighty good.

20220318_182330-1.jpg

Neither of us had interest in cooking, or for that matter eating. We noshed on chips and the remainder of our road-food sandwiches, and called it a night.

The very next morning, the electrical failures began. (Have I mentioned that I know far more about the Princessmobile's electrical systems than I care to?) I think we have it all sorted, except that I used our last spare part and am having the Devil's Own Time getting a replacement delivered somewhere I can get to it.

Smithy

Smithy

"Let's go to the Salton Sea!" we said.

- "It won't be as windy there!" we said.

- "It won't be as hot there!" we said.

- "Things may be blooming there!" we said.

- "The roads are better and a change of scenery for cycling will be good!" we said.

Well, one of those four predictions was right. Two, if you squint. It's been blowing like crazy here most days, and hot. If it weren't blowing so hard it would be even hotter, so we're counting our blessings on that front. The Salton Sea provides a nice cooling effect when the wind is right. Its moodiness reminds me of why I fell in love with Lake Superior.

20220320_161141-1.jpg

We stopped for a few groceries in a little town along the way, and were hit with the sticker shock so many of you have talked about. A pint of Miracle Whip was $6.70! That didn't stop us from buying it, but I really hope it was more the small-town-grocer effect than the supply-chain price effect. We picked up pork steaks of the type he likes, and chicken for a dish I plan to do. 

20220317_130904-1.jpg

Moving camp is always a big deal, especially when we've been set up for so long. The outdoor kitchen had been packed the day before, leaving the forlorn campfire setup I showed you before. Still...it was a chore to move even a couple hundred miles, and we were tired when we finished.

When we got set up, we sat out and admired the new view

20220320_161614-1.jpg

and each had a beer. I promised someone - @LindaKI think? - to show my favorite beer. Truth is, I've had very little beer this trip. That night, it tasted mighty good.

20220318_182330-1.jpg

Neither of us had interest in cooking, or for that matter eating. We noshed on chips and the remainder of our road-food sandwiches, and called it a night.

The very next morning, the electrical failures began. (Have I mentioned that I know far more about the Princessmobile's electrical systems than I care to?) I think we have it all sorted, except that I used our last spare part and am having the Devil's Own Time getting a replacement delivered somewhere I can get to it.