• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected word tense

7 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

The problem with a dedicated pot, whether it's the bottom of a pressure cooker or a deep fryer, is that it takes up space that can't be used for anything else. Princess-mobiles are notable for the paucity of their storage. 

6 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Yeah, even if you filtered it back into a jug it’d be annoying to have to store a whole extra bottle of oil. Storage is a constant issue in our RV.

This is my biggest issue - storage of that much oil, and coming up with yet more storage space for filtered oil. We bought a jug of peanut oil and it's been taking up space under the sink for at least a season, very slowly being used. When it came time for the Wings Cook-Off I used a lot of the bottle's contents for deep frying. Then I had to deal with it. It's a nuisance to filter, and I've nowhere to store it until next use except in the original bottle. Finally I mixed what was left of the unused oil with my darling's vegetable oil - it just filled his quart container, and he'll never notice - and put the filtered oil into the original gallon jug. The paper towels and other cleanup materials went into a campfire. If we had a bear or raccoon problem around here we'd have learned about it then, because the cleanup was in the morning and the fire that evening.

Thanks to all for the suggestions on the tots. I shall persevere, and try frying them in more than a tablespoon or two of oil as I did last time. That won't happen tonight, though: (a) we're out of 'em and (b) I have other plans for dinner. 

Smithy

Smithy

3 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

The problem with a dedicated pot, whether it's the bottom of a pressure cooker or a deep fryer, is that it takes up space that can't be used for anything else. Princess-mobiles are notable for the paucity of their storage. 

2 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Yeah, even if you filtered it back into a jug it’d be annoying to have to store a whole extra bottle of oil. Storage is a constant issue in our RV.

This is my biggest issue - storage of that much oil, and coming up with yet more storage space for filtered oil. We bought a jug of peanut oil and it's been taking up space under the sink for at least a season, very slowly being used. When it came time for the Wings Cook-Off I used a lot of the bottle's contents for deep frying. Then I had to deal with it. It's a nuisance to filter, and I've nowhere to store it until next use except in the original bottle. Finally I mixed what was left of the unused oil with my darling's vegetable oil - it just filled his quart container, and he'll never notice - and put the filtered oil into the original gallon jug. The paper towels and other cleanup materials went into a campfire. If we had a bear or raccoon problem around here we'd have learned about it then, because the cleanup was in the morning and the fire that evening.

Thanks to all for the suggestions on the tots. I shall persevere, and trying frying them in more than a tablespoon or two of oil as I did last time. That won't happen tonight, though: (a) we're out of 'em and (b) I have other plans for dinner.