• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Formatting and minor word changes

I'd forgotten this aspect of wind storms: every counter surface is gritty now. We won't talk about the floor. At least the refrigerator is clean!

The pork saga from a few nights ago has a couple of funny follow-up stories. After I wrote that story he told me that the entire dish had been unpalatably cold. This was news to me: mine was warm and the plates were heated, and he hand't mentioned it the night before. It turned out that he'd covered the entire serving with the cold tzatziki sauce (I hadn't noticed) and it had cooled everything down. No, that wasn't how it was supposed to go, I told him.

We ate microwaved leftovers for lunch, with the sauce on the side to add at each bite. Ah, he said, much better. He liked the meat and veg dish. He liked the tzatziki, especially when he learned that its base was yogurt rather than sour cream. BUT, he said, those two dishes don't go together! (I didn't try convincing him that they're a traditional partnership. Heck, AnnaN had to remind me of that last year. Strangely, he liked the combination then. What can one do, but laugh?)

The rest of the story I think I'll call pork revenge. There was still a clod of pork shoulder left that I hadn't cut to use yet. I'd intended it for something like a stew or stir fry, or properly skewered kebabs when we wanted to cook outside. Nope. He wanted comfort food: breaded and baked pork steaks, cut the thickness we prefer. I obliged to make up for the souvlaki trauma. These are nearly 1" thick. I did a good job slicing, didn't I?

20210308_070140.jpg

We got 2 meals each out of this.

20210307_220331.jpg

We may make another run to Calipatria before leaving this area. It's so hard to see the last of that fine pork shoulder! And I still want to do things other than breaded/baked or roasted with it! xD 

The sunset before the wind began. Stormy weather brings its own beauty.

20210308_070536.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

I'd forgotten this aspect of wind storms: every counter surface is gritty now. We won't talk about the floor. At least the refrigerator is clean!

The pork saga from a few nights ago has a couple of funny follow-up stories. After I wrote that story he told me that the entire dish had been unpalatably cold. This was news to me: mine was warm and the plates were heated, and he hand't mentioned it the night before. It turned out that he'd covered the entire serving with the cold tzatziki sauce (I hadn't noticed) and it had cooled everything down. No, that wasn't how it was supposed to go, I told him. We had microwaved leftovers for lunch, with the sauce on the side to add at each bite. Ah, he said, much better. He liked the meat and veg dish. He liked the tzatziki, especially when he learned that its base was yogurt rather than sour cream. BUT, he said, those two dishes don't go together! (I didn't try convincing him that they're a traditional partnership. Heck, AnnaN had to remind me of that last year. Strangely, he liked the combination then. What can one do, but laugh?)

The rest of the story I think I'll call pork revenge. There was still a clod of pork shoulder left that I hadn't cut to use yet. I'd intended it for something like a stew or stir fry, or properly skewered kebabs when we wanted to cook outside. Nope. He wanted comfort food: breaded and baked pork steaks, cut the thickness we prefer. I obliged to make up for the souvlaki trauma. These are nearly 1" thick. I did a good job slicing, didn't I?

20210308_070140.jpg

We got 2 meals each out of this.

20210307_220331.jpg

We may make another run to Calipatria before leaving this area. It's so hard to see the last of that fine pork shoulder! And I still want to do things other than breaded/baked or roasted with it! xD 

The sunset before the wind began. Stormy weather brings its own beauty.

20210308_070536.jpg