• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Formatting, rewording

1 hour ago, heidih said:

You flashed me back to my first ceviche experience In 1985 in Cancun chartered a small fishing boat to go to Isla Mujeres. We treated the crew guys to lunch and the tall gorgeous captain ordered just ceviche. I told him he could order whatever he wanted. It was a super simple clean prep with....saltines as the scooper!  They did dive for conch. I have one of the shells somewhere. They tossed them hard into packed sand to dislodge the muscle. I wish the story continued with a beach fire and cooking - no stupid us sent them home with the goods (and the tuna). 

Great story, not so great ending! With a gorgeous captain I'd have preferred the beach fire and cooking and...well, I like the occasional romance novel. ;)

I've only had conch once or twice, but I reallly liked it.

I asked my darling again this morning what he thought of last night's dinner. This time he said, "It was okay. I didn't much like the chips with it." Surprise! So maybe saltines would be a better choice. I was all hot to trot to try it again tonight, with the jalapenos and mais chulpa. Then I remembered that I'd exhausted my supply of limes last night. It will have to wait.

Smithy

Smithy

1 hour ago, heidih said:

You flashed me back to my first ceviche experience In 1985 in Cancun chartered a small fishing boat to go to Isla Mujeres. We treated the crew guys to lunch and the tall gorgeous captain ordered just ceviche. I told him he could order whatever he wanted. It was a super simple clean prep with....saltines as the scooper!  They did dive for conch. I have one of the shells somewhere. They tossed them hard into packed sand to dislodge the muscle. I wish the story continued with a beach fire and cooking - no stupid us sent them home with the goods (and the tuna). 

Great story, not so great ending! With a gorgeous captain I'd have preferred the beach fire and cooking and...well, the occasional romance novel can be fun. ;)

I've only had conch once or twice, but I reallly liked it.

I asked my darling again this morning what he thought of last night's dinner. This time he said, "It was okay. I didn't much like the chips with it." Surprise! So maybe saltines would be a better choice. I was all hot to trot to try it again tonight, with the jalapenos and mais chulpa. Then I remembered that I'd exhausted my supply of limes last night. It will have to wait.