• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added missing word "weird"

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

I'm using citrus more and more lately.  Gives everything such a kick.

Meant to also say your meal looks soooo good.  Do the tangelos and mandarins skins' get tender enough to eat?  I love lemons that I can eat along with chicken.  Or maybe I'm just weird.

No, there's nothing weird about eating the citrus skin! I used to eat lemons, rind and all, raw! The peels for the mandarins and tangelos do get soft enough to eat. I found them a touch bitter, but my darling loved them. Mileage varies.

Speaking of varying mileage: he strongly prefers sweet onions (Vidalia, Walla Walla, etc) and looks askance when I buy red onions. I want to emphasize that these red onions turned silky and sweet with the treatment they got. Maybe sweet onions would have done the same thing, though. I suppose next time I'll have to try some of both to compare them.

Smithy

Smithy

54 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm using citrus more and more lately.  Gives everything such a kick.

Meant to also say your meal looks soooo good.  Do the tangelos and mandarins skins' get tender enough to eat?  I love lemons that I can eat along with chicken.  Or maybe I'm just weird.

No, there's nothing about eating the citrus skin! I used to eat lemons, rind and all, raw! The peels for the mandarins and tangelos do get soft enough to eat. I found them a touch bitter, but my darling loved them. Mileage varies.

Speaking of varying mileage: he strongly prefers sweet onions (Vidalia, Walla Walla, etc) and looks askance when I buy red onions. I want to emphasize that these red onions turned silky and sweet with the treatment they got. Maybe sweet onions would have done the same thing, though. I suppose next time I'll have to try some of both to compare them.