• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added Mencken quote

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

My FIL's orange tree is blossoming, and I'm afraid that it is too early and not much fruit will appear. But for now, it's filling our noses with the intoxication scent of those blossoms.

Orange Blossoms.jpg

You and I are of one mind on that smell.  Then again there was the late, great H.L. Mencken, who reported upon visiting the L.A. area, "The whole place stank of orange blossoms." xD

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Well citrus are winter producers so maybe you are experiencing a global warming quirk. The ripe fruit should be now and flowering/fruit setting much later. Oh my....

Our hosts' trees were putting out sporadic blossoms - enough for me to enjoy that smell also - but not as thickly as Porthos' FIL's tree.  It is worrisome - and yes, I think it's a result of an unusually warm winter.  Probably a sign of times to come.

Smithy

Smithy

Added Mencken quote

My FIL's orange tree is blossoming, and I'm afraid that it is too early and not much fruit will appear. But for now, it's filling our noses with the intoxication scent of those blossoms.

Orange Blossoms.jpg

You and I are of one mind on that smell.  Then again there was the late, great, H.L. Mencken, who reported upon visiting the L.A. area, "The whole place stank of orange blossoms." xD

Well citrus are winter producers so maybe you are experiencing a global warming quirk. The ripe fruit should be now and flowering/fruit setting much later. Oh my....

Our hosts' trees were putting out sporadic blossoms - enough for me to enjoy that smell also - but not as thickly as Porthos' FIL's tree.  It is worrisome - and yes, I think it's a result of an unusually warm winter.  Probably a sign of times to come.

Smithy

Smithy

Orange Blossoms.jpg