• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Messing with photos, corrected speling

We aren't quite ready to leave the desert yet - actually, we can't, due to scheduled warranty repair on the pickup - but the holding tanks were nearing capacity and the generator was getting low on fuel. We packed the trailer enough to move it without broken crockery, and made the trip to a trailer dump and fueling station.  This process isn't as arduous as breaking camp entirely; the camp stove, campfire cooking gear, coolers and so on stay at camp.  Even this simple packing-up takes a bit over an hour.  Away we went to take care of business. 3 hours later we were back and had re-established ourselves with a slightly different orientation than before.  (The theory was that it would give better wind protection, but at the moment I'm not so sure.) Only one object jumped out at me when I opened a cupboard incautiously. It was my citrus juicer: light plastic, and not easily breakable, although it startled the 4-footed occupants and brought an exclamation from me.  I should have learned the drill by now!

All that done, we eschewed the customary midday green salad for tuna salad sandwiches.  I like to mix water-packed and oil-packed tuna.  Hard-steamed eggs, lemon, and the last of the Duke's mayonnaise that I picked up in Texas went into the mix, then onto slices of sourdough.  My darling is a Miracle Whip guy (nobody's perfect); his sandwich is on the left.  Pickles from home.

20170302_135447.jpg

I'm not sure yet what dinner will be. It will probably be leftover Thai turkey meatballs and vegetables from the eG Cook-Off 75: Meatballs topic, discussed in more detail here.

20170226_203044.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

Messing with photos

We aren't quite ready to leave the desert yet - actually, we can't, due to scheduled warranty repair on the pickup - but the holding tanks were nearing capacity and the generator was getting low on fuel. We packed the trailer enough to move it without broken crockery, and made the trip to a trailer dump and fueling station.  This process isn't as arduous as breaking camp entirely; the camp stove, campfire cooking gear, coolers and so on stay at camp.  Even this simple packing-up takes a bit over an hour.  Away we went to take care of business. 3 hours later we were back and had re-established ourselves with a slightly different orientation than before.  (The theory was that it would give better wind protection, but at the moment I'm not so sure.) Only one object jumped out at me when I opened a cupboard incautiously. It was my citrus juicer: light plastic, and not easily breakable, although it startled the 4-footed occupants and brought an exclamation from me.  I should have learned the drill by now!

All that done, we eschewed the customary midday green salad for tuna salad sandwiches.  I like to mix water-packed and oil-packed tuna.  Hard-steamed eggs, lemon, and the last of the Duke's mayonnaise that I picked up in Texas went into the mix, then onto slices of sourdough.  My darling is a Miracle Whip guy (nobody's perfect); his sandwich is on the left.  Pickles from home.

20170302_135447.jpg

I'm not sure yet what dinner will be. It will probably be leftoever Thai turkey meatballs and vegetables from the eG Cook-Off 75: Meatballs topic, discussed in more detail here.

20170226_203044.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

20170302_135447.jpg

I'm not sure yet what dinner will be. It will probably be leftoever Thai turkey meatballs and vegetables from the eG Cook-Off 75: Meatballs topic, discussed in more detail here.

20170226_203038.jpg