• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Attempted to clarify questions in last paragraph

For @suzilightning and anyone else pining for spring, here are some shots from today's walk.

20200418_210138.jpg

By the time we got back from the walk, the wind had come up. It's supposed to be windy all week, but we think that these high New Mexico elevations, with mountains around, are prone to windy conditions anyway.  The flags snapped and shuddered and stood nearly straight as though starched, for most of the day. A couple of dust devils came through as well. We took a direct hit from one, and the dust layer (on the floors, the table, the counter) was impressive. Grr. The camp stove was not blown over, but we were surprised at that, given the way the trailer shook.

20200418_094900.jpg

Back by popular demand: another round of tacos. The wind died enough in the evening that I could brown and season the meat outside on the camp stove. Everything else was chopped or grated while I waited for the wind to die.  I am having to rethink my abhorrence of packaged spice mixes; my DIL is the one who used this so casually and put me onto it. Having tried it (once at her place, twice at ours now) I have to admit that it's easy and delicious. It will probably become a staple around our house.

20200418_205929.jpg

My darling still confuses tacos with burritos with enchiladas, and I may not have made it any simpler thanks to a KCRW Good Food podcast some years ago. If I understood that podcast correctly, any time a tortilla is wrapped around something it's a taco. Doesn't have to be a crispy open corn tortilla like these. It can be a fully sealed and soft flour tortilla around something - what I'd call a burrito, unless it's in a baking dish with sauce, in which case it's a smothered burrito. A taco can also be a soft corn tortilla wrapped around something. Maybe it can even be in a baking dish, with sauce, what I would call an enchilada. 

Is there really a good definition of "taco"? Has the usage and definition changed over the last decade or so? Is there a hierarchy, so that burritos and enchiladas are a subset of tacos? Enquiring minds want to know.

Smithy

Smithy

For @suzilightning and anyone else pining for spring, here are some shots from today's walk.

20200418_210138.jpg

By the time we got back from the walk, the wind had come up. It's supposed to be windy all week, but we think that these high New Mexico elevations, with mountains around, are prone to windy conditions anyway.  The flags snapped and shuddered and stood nearly straight as though starched, for most of the day. A couple of dust devils came through as well. We took a direct hit from one, and the dust layer (on the floors, the table, the counter) was impressive. Grr. The camp stove was not blown over, but we were surprised at that, given the way the trailer shook.

20200418_094900.jpg

Back by popular demand: another round of tacos. The wind died enough in the evening that I could brown and season the meat outside on the camp stove. Everything else was chopped or grated while I waited for the wind to die.  I am having to rethink my abhorrence of packaged spice mixes; my DIL is the one who used this so casually and put me onto it. Having tried it (once at her place, twice at ours now) I have to admit that it's easy and delicious. It will probably become a staple around our house.

20200418_205929.jpg

My darling still confuses tacos with burritos with enchiladas, and I may not have made it any simpler thanks to a KCRW Good Food podcast some years ago. If I understood that podcast correctly, any time a tortilla is wrapped around something it's a taco. Doesn't have to be a crispy open corn tortilla like these. It can be a fully sealed and soft flour tortilla around something - what I'd call a burrito, unless it's in a baking dish with sauce, in which case it's a smothered burrito. A taco can also be a soft corn tortilla wrapped around something. Maybe it can even be in a baking dish, with sauce, what I would call an enchilada. 

Is there really a good definition of taco? Has it changed over the last decade or so? Is there a hierarchy, so that burritos and enchiladas are a subset of tacos? Enquiring minds want to know.