• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Correct title of instructor

I have exchanged emails with the Desert Museum's native foods culinary instructor who is featured near the end of this post about the Sonoran Desert Harvest festival. She corrected me regarding her preferred ways to get juice from the prickly pear fruits: although I had correctly stated that the fruits could be frozen, then thawed and drained to collect the juice, I incorrectly stated that they could also be boiled to get the juice. She notes that boiling takes way too long. The other method is to puree the fruit ( @lemniscate, I think this is what you said also) then drain through the pillowcase. The boiling is the final step prior to bottling, to kill off microbes. She wrote:

PRICKLY PEAR JUICE: The 2 methods for quick and easy prickly pear fruit juicing were #1 the freezing method and #2 quickly pureeing fresh fruit, then straining the mash through the pillowcase. I do not boil them first anymore, that takes way too long. I do simmer (170 degrees for a few minutes) after juicing to kill microbes before bottling. Since I go for volume processing, I have refined my procedures enormously over the past 25 years.  I can harvest 50-70 pounds of fruit early in the morning then juice, strain, and bottle it before lunch. (This summer I gave a private class and we picked and processed ~40# of fruit before lunch and then made PP jelly right after lunch. What a fun day) Because I do so much, I need shortcuts. I'll do this for several days as my favorite sites ripen. This year again, I processed 350# of very ripe PP fruit so my freezer got another 15 gallons of beautiful, healthy juice. 
And yes, that is what the 2 of us use in a year: For a healthy morning 'cocktail', meat sauces, regular cocktails like margaritas, pies, pancake syrup, and Jay's PP Ice Cream for a short list. 
PS, I think the only reason to singe off the PP fruit spines is if you are eating the whole fruit fresh. Otherwise all spines, glochids and MOJ (material other than juice) will be strained out in a washable, reusable cloth like a pillow case.

CHOLLA FLOWER BUDS: I've read that all cholla buds and fruit are edible, however some are less accessible than others. That's where the propane torch comes in. Plus some fruit varieties get woody or desiccate at the end of the season, so why bother? Chain fruit cholla fruit is one the rewarding edible cholla fruit (few spines on the fruit itself) around here. Large round, persistent pieces that you can boil first (like the buds) and either freeze or dehydrate for long-term storage, or chop and saute in garlic-olive oil for your scrambled eggs or a salad. The taste is different but still healthy. Just not as much calcium as the unopened flower buds. 
Unlike the flower buds, which are only available for a ~month in the spring, the persistent fruit hangs around for more than a year, so you have a longer time to try it out.

I've corrected the record in my original post. If there are more questions or comments, she's happy to field them. 

Smithy

Smithy

I have exchanged emails with the teacher from the Desert Culinary Institute who is featured near the end of this post about the Sonoran Desert Harvest festival. She corrected me regarding her preferred ways to get juice from the prickly pear fruits: although I had correctly stated that the fruits could be frozen, then thawed and drained to collect the juice, I incorrectly stated that they could also be boiled to get the juice. She notes that boiling takes way too long. The other method is to puree the fruit ( @lemniscate, I think this is what you said also) then drain through the pillowcase. The boiling is the final step prior to bottling, to kill off microbes. She wrote:

PRICKLY PEAR JUICE: The 2 methods for quick and easy prickly pear fruit juicing were #1 the freezing method and #2 quickly pureeing fresh fruit, then straining the mash through the pillowcase. I do not boil them first anymore, that takes way too long. I do simmer (170 degrees for a few minutes) after juicing to kill microbes before bottling. Since I go for volume processing, I have refined my procedures enormously over the past 25 years.  I can harvest 50-70 pounds of fruit early in the morning then juice, strain, and bottle it before lunch. (This summer I gave a private class and we picked and processed ~40# of fruit before lunch and then made PP jelly right after lunch. What a fun day) Because I do so much, I need shortcuts. I'll do this for several days as my favorite sites ripen. This year again, I processed 350# of very ripe PP fruit so my freezer got another 15 gallons of beautiful, healthy juice. 
And yes, that is what the 2 of us use in a year: For a healthy morning 'cocktail', meat sauces, regular cocktails like margaritas, pies, pancake syrup, and Jay's PP Ice Cream for a short list. 
PS, I think the only reason to singe off the PP fruit spines is if you are eating the whole fruit fresh. Otherwise all spines, glochids and MOJ (material other than juice) will be strained out in a washable, reusable cloth like a pillow case.

CHOLLA FLOWER BUDS: I've read that all cholla buds and fruit are edible, however some are less accessible than others. That's where the propane torch comes in. Plus some fruit varieties get woody or desiccate at the end of the season, so why bother? Chain fruit cholla fruit is one the rewarding edible cholla fruit (few spines on the fruit itself) around here. Large round, persistent pieces that you can boil first (like the buds) and either freeze or dehydrate for long-term storage, or chop and saute in garlic-olive oil for your scrambled eggs or a salad. The taste is different but still healthy. Just not as much calcium as the unopened flower buds. 
Unlike the flower buds, which are only available for a ~month in the spring, the persistent fruit hangs around for more than a year, so you have a longer time to try it out.

I've corrected the record in my original post. If there are more questions or comments, she's happy to field them.