• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salmon Chanted Evening

jamiemaw

New York Times culture editor Sam Sifton visits the PNW with a quest to eat salmon, with visits to Vancouver (Granville Island, C Restaurant) and Mayne Island.

"For dinner that night, we made our way to C, Rob Clark's steel and glass temple to contemporary seafood cooking on Howe Street, which is often mentioned when people get around to talking about Vancouver's best restaurants. Certainly it is fancy food, or at any rate expensive and dressed up as fancy: unbelievably flavorful Pacific sardines wrapped in double-smoked bacon and roasted crisp, for example, with rye berries, maple syrup and a grainy mustard vinaigrette; or "octopus bacon" wrapped around a Kagan Bay scallop, wi th a foie gras croquette, spinach and veal stock reduced to near blackness. These were delicious, but made me think of brawny outdoorsmen wearing black tie and patent leather slippers. You know that poor scallop was uncomfortable."

Curiously, he calls spring salmon 'king' (with an explanation) here for the benefit of his American readership, misses C's sutainability program wholesale and makes a few factual slips, but it's kind of a fun piece. He also manages to use the word 'maw' twice in the same article, something that I have managed to avoid for almost 20 years.

Here's the complete article.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

While they say "no press is bad press' it is a little discouraging that Mr. Sifton's article manages to mention only one restaurant in Vancouver.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Typically lightweight piece IMO.

A bit of errata

1-There are 6 Pacific Salmon species here not 5 as mentioned.

2-Pink Salmon is in fact a delicious fish :wub: -something closer to a Trout than the typically strong buttery Salmon flavour but a toothsome delight all the same.

3-I've eaten in that place on Mayne-a totally forgettable experience-well except for the waitress who dumped 5 large glasses of water in another diner's lap-that I'll never forget. :laugh:

I enjoyed the writing - it was fast paced and entertaining. Great opening hook. I noticed he enjoyed a bottle of the Winchester Pinot Noir over on Mayne Island. Ken Winchester is a very very good wine maker over here on Vancouver Island at the Barking Dog winery.

And I only found the one reference to maw, Jamie.