• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pronouncing cocktail ingredients

mbanu

Noticed this nifty feature of the online Merriam Webster, thought I'd post some links for words whose pronounciation isn't immediately obvious from their spelling. :) (Or at least, not to people like me, anyways. :P)

chartreuse (edited for the right pronounciation)

cognac

curaçao (yeah, not French, but it's been bugging me)

eau de vie

orgeat

Pernod

Edited by mbanu (log)

Keep in mind, however, that these are Americanized pronunciations.

Take, for example, the French herbal liqueur Chartreuse. Merriam Webster would have you pronounce this word as "shar-troos" whereas I would argue for "shar-trœz." Merriam Webster would also like to have you pronounce liqueur as "lih-coo-er" instead of "lih-cœr." ("œ" is a French vowel sound one produces more or less by forming your mouth into an "o" position and trying to say "eh" through it.)

This is not to say that I think English speakers should try to pronounce 100% correct French/Italian/whatever when referring to ingredients, and of course there are certain foreign words that have more or less become anglicized in pronunciation (e.g., absinthe). But I do think "shar-truz is preferable to "shar-troos."

--

Keep in mind, however, that these are Americanized pronunciations.

Take, for example, the French herbal liqueur Chartreuse.  Merriam Webster would have you pronounce this word as "shar-troos" whereas I would argue for "shar-trœz."  Merriam Webster would also like to have you pronounce liqueur as "lih-coo-er" instead of "lih-cœr." ("œ" is a French vowel sound one produces more or less by forming your mouth into an "o" position and trying to say "eh" through it.)

This is not to say that I think English speakers should try to pronounce 100% correct French/Italian/whatever when referring to ingredients, and of course there are certain foreign words that have more or less become anglicized in pronunciation (e.g., absinthe).  But I do think "shar-truz is preferable to "shar-troos."

Oops. :) In the case of Chartreuse, they offered two pronounciations. "shar-trœz" was #2. :) I've edited my post accordingly.