• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Jersey Mexican

finker99

El Gran still has the "renovation" phone message.  I think its curtains for them, but I suppose I'll try one more time--in a week or so.

I drove by yesterday and the windows were still covered up. Awaiting further info...

Has anyone else tried this Charrito's in Hoboken yet? I'm curious about it, but I'm so rarely in Hoboken that I'd like to know whether it's worth a special trip.

I've only been to a couple of Mexican places in the past few weeks and both of them were across state lines, so TECHNICALLY I shouldn't even be posting about them, but since it IS the North Jersey Mexican thread, I think it's alright.

Los Dos Mexicanos on 9th Ave (Manhattan, but soooo close to Port Authority) a.k.a. "Tommy's cheap taco place"- I only sampled one dish here a couple of weeks ago, but I've gotta say that I'm definitely heading back. I had the Adobo de Puerco... a plate of pork chunks (some on the bone) in a spicy tomato-based adobo sauce. The heat was the subtle kind that just sort of slowly builds to a really nice level. It came with nice rice, but I didn't care much for the beans. Essentially, it was refried bean soup... I like a bit more solidity myself. Also, about 6 very warm tortillas which were perfect for eating in the true Mexican fashion. The menu was fairly extensive and includes a few soups that I'll have to sample next time around. Plus, they have Foozball!

El Bandido in Spring Valley, NY (but sooooo close to Bergen County)- I went there last night and I have to admit I was disappointed. I'll start off by asking for recommendations of dishes that they do well, because I might not have ordered correctly. I had the Ranchero Platter: skirt steak, chorizo, fried pork chunks, a Mexican salad, pico de gallo, guacamole, and refried beans as well as a few flour tortillas and two corn tortilla cups (holiding the guac and pico). A friend of mine ordered the Bandido Platter: skirt steak, pork in a green chile sauce, and shrimp in a white cream sauce (I forget what it was) with rice. Another friend ordered the Fiesta de Camarones: Shrimp in some other sort of sauce (I really wasn't paying attention to their orders).

My entree was supposed to be for two people (and was priced at $35), but it was served on the same size plate as the other two entrees. Granted, I eat a lot, but it still wasn't a good amount of food for two regular people. The skirt steak was cooked medium rare as I requested, but it just wasn't very flavorful. I believe the menu said it was supposed to have garlic, but that taste eluded me. It was really very bland. Worse still was the pork; they were VERY dry chunks with almost no flavor. Pass. The Mexican salad was some iceburg lettuce with sliced tomato, onion, and green pepper covered with some oil and vinegar. Pass. The tortillas weren't warm, the pico de gallo was watered down, and the guacamole wasn't doing it for me either. They don't serve Jarritos there, so I had a couple of Sprites. I thought it was nice that they came in a little 6 (or so) oz. glass bottle, until the bill came and I saw that those cute little bottles cost $2.25 a piece.

The only saving grace for me was the crumbled chorizo. It had a very nice flavor despite being too dry for my taste. Unfortunately, the amount of chorizo on my plate was less than ANYthing else (including the guacamole) so it wasn't even close to saving my dinner. My friends enjoyed their shrimp and sangría, but agreed with me about the steaks, pork, and salads. Actually the pork in green chile sauce that comes with the Bandido platter was appreciated as well.

I know that some people have recommended El Bandido and I'd like to know if anyone has any particular recommendations for dishes that are particularly nice. I don't think I would return there unless I was armed with that kind of information.

Anyone else have any Mexican meals lately?

edit: Forgot that you only need the b for the bold tag.

My wife stopped at "El Gran Mexicano" the other day when she saw somebody working, they said that they are definately reopening with the timeframe of soon. I am hungrily waiting

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

My wife stopped at "El Gran Mexicano" the other day when she saw somebody working, they said that they are definately reopening with the timeframe of soon.  I am hungrily waiting

Gee, if they actually are renovating to create seating (three or four tables instead of the one they had would do it) maybe we could have a mini-non-eGullet-official get together. Assuming Fink's boss could give him time off. :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

El Gran "renovation" message is still there.

This removes any doubt whatsoever. No restaurant as small as El Gran can be "renovating" for three or four weeks and still be in business. They must have paid the telephone bill ahead of time and this message is just from the phone company instead of a physical answering machine. They are history. Finito. Adios!

Seriously Fink, if you know otherwise ask them how they can AFFORD to still be closed. :wacko: If they are having contractor problems or something, this will sink them.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got some news on El Gran Mexicano. I'm not positive if it's good or bad yet, but I'm hopeful. I drove by this morning and they've finally removed the coverings from the windows. Looking inside, it's very different though.

They have a few small tables now (2 seaters) and the grill area is now enclosed by new walls (with serving windows). It looks like that wall came at the expense of the counter (a big minus in my book). If anything, I think this renovation ends up with LESS seating, but it's obviously not complete yet.

Everything looks VERY different. It's brighter and neater, but the question remains... is it still El Gran Mexicano? I think so. I definitely want it to be so. Fink said that their rent is actually quite low, so here's to wishing that the next report is a confirmation of their re-opening!

El Gran Mexicano has reopened!

Tonight some friends and I were making plans for dinner and decided to

call El Gran Mexicano, just to see if answering machine still had the

same message. I gave them a call, and to my great surprise someone

answered after a few rings. I asked if they had reopened, and he said

they were opening up in 35 minutes. We headed out there a little

later and had a fine meal, as always.

I hope you will all head out there and show them how much you missed

them.

El Gran Mexicano has reopened!  

Tonight some friends and I were making plans for dinner and decided to call El Gran Mexicano, just to see if answering machine still had the same message.  I gave them a call, and to my great surprise someone

answered after a few rings.  I asked if they had reopened, and he said they were opening up in 35 minutes.  We headed out there a little later and had a fine meal, as always.

I hope you will all head out there and show them how much you missed them.

What, you couldn't take a minute to post they had reopened before going out to dinner? Maybe someone else could have gone there tonight too??? :hmmm:

:raz:

Rachel and I returned to the newly renovated El Gran Mexicano this evening ... they've cleaned the place up and painted it in nice warm Mexican citrus colors, but its still the same great food.

The owner, Mauricio, plans to add new appetizers to the menu soon, and will feature batidos (milkshakes) as well as virgin margaritas (which can be full blown margaritas if you bring your own booze, theres a liquor store next door with mini's of Jose Cuervo for sale for $1.89 each).

Go... Go to el Gran Mexicano!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 months later...

Hmm... the review of El Gran Mexicano got me thinking of this topic again. Potrero Grill has been a little too consistently disappointing the past few times I was there. Mexicali Rose's owner was very condescending to me when I brought up a complaint about a server... I walked out of there with a cheap free sombrero and I'm not planning on walking back in with any business.

Just thought I should update those preferences (or loss there of) for anyone reading along today.

El Gran Mexicano is still rocking though!