• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carlsbad/San Diego

cabrales

Cabrales - Are you going out there? I have a good friend who is a UC San Diego professor who can help you out with all the info you want. He even is close friends with the guy who has the tuna cages that RW Apple wqrote up in the Times a few months ago. In fact he is the guy who took Apple out to see them.

Steve P -- Yes, a friend of mine is getting married at the Four Seasons, Aviary (spelling?), near Carlsbad this summer. I do not have much time, but would be interested in the tuna cages (where exactly are they)?  I am also flying into San Diego, so could take in lunch at a restaurant there quickly before the wedding.  :wink:

You should check the NY Times archives for the tuna article. It has the location. But my friend out there is good friends with Su-Mei-Yu who runs a Thai restaurant out there called Saffron that he loves. Also, Jean-Claude Diot (I think it's Claude) the original chef at Park Bistro in NYC has a restaurant in La Jolla that is supposed to be good.

• 4 weeks later...
I've enjoyed George's by the Cove in La Jolla quite a bit.  However it's been many years since I went.

George's at the Cove was included in the San Diego Restaurant "Black Book" in an article appearing in the August 2002 edition of Food & Wine. The other included restaurants were: A.R. Valentien, Chive, Laurel (this is somehow related to Winesellar & Brasserie); Point Loma Seafoods and The Waterfront.

Cabrales...you might want to try Trattoria Acqua or Sushi Rock...both in La Jolla. George's is still a great place to dine...and the view adds to the experience. You will really enjoy Aviara...it is a beautiful property and the spa is outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for members' input.

Separately, the James Beard August 2002 Calendar & Newsletter reports that Wolfgang Puck has opened (will open?) a restaurant in San Diego. "This time his cafe concept is located in the Gaslamp District."

• 5 years later...

SD seems to be consistent, across the years, and the posters.

Trattoria Acqua still considered good eats. Georges has slipped.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.