• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

And @Ann_T - no capers??!!  I knew finally you’d show the tiniest of faults after teasing us with all that gorgeous fish (and bread).

@weinoo, sorry to disappoint.😀 Don't like capers, mainly because I don't like the flavour the brine/vinegar adds to a dish.  Which is why

I use green peppercorns in the Piccata sauce.  And even the green peppercorns are dried not brined.  Can't stand the brined ones. 

I have eaten more fish in the last 8 months than I would eat in a couple of years.  I've never been big on fish.  Moe loves fish so when Walcan Seafood started offering right to the door delivery, I decided to give them a try.  

Their story on how they saved their business during Covid is interesting.  

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/10/16/news/how-island-seafood-company-hooked-fresh-opportunities-during-covid-19

My first order was a combination of Sockeye Salmon, Spring Salmon, Halibut, Lingcod, Sablefish, Spot Prawns ,  Petrale sole and sushi quality Albacore Tuna.  (so good).     I already knew that I wasn't really a big fan of salmon so after a few meals, I gave most of it away. 

Have always loved halibut , and decided that I also love sablefish and even enjoy the Petrale sole.   

Since the first delivery  I've order more halibut, sablefish and Petrale sole. As well as Spot Prawns.   Through out the last few months, I've ordered more portions of frozen halibut and sablefish as well as 5lbs of fresh halibut and fresh Petrale sole. I'm well stocked at the moment.   During the short Spot Prawn season, they even delivered live prawns. Also ordered Hokkaido sea scallops for Moe. He loves scallops and I don't.   Apparently these are sushi quality. 

On work nights it makes for a quick dinner to pull fish, prawns or scallops out of the freezer.

They are now offering a monthly subscription box for $149.00.   You can choose five options and you save about $50.00.   Doesn't work for me because going forward I'm sticking to just ordering halibut, sablefish and when available prawns and more scallops for Moe.  

The deliver service is amazing.  And they have been so successful that they expanded their delivery service from down Island over to the mainland.   

Ann_T

Ann_T

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

And @Ann_T - no capers??!!  I knew finally you’d show the tiniest of faults after teasing us with all that gorgeous fish (and bread).

@weinoo, sorry to disappoint.😀 Don't like capers, mainly because I don't like the flavour the brine/vinegar adds to a dish.  Which is why

I use green peppercorns in the Piccata sauce.  And even the green peppercorns are dried not brined.  Can't stand the brined ones. 

I have eaten more fish in the last 8 months than I would eat in a couple of years.  I've never been big on fish.  Moe loves fish so when Walcan Seafood started offering right to the door delivery, I decided to give them a try.  

Their story on how they saved their business during Covid in interesting.  

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/10/16/news/how-island-seafood-company-hooked-fresh-opportunities-during-covid-19

My first order was a combination of Sockeye Salmon, Spring Salmon, Halibut, Lingcod, Sablefish, Spot Prawns ,  Petrale sole and sushi quality Albacore Tuna.  (so good).     I already knew that I wasn't really a big fan of salmon so after a few meals, I gave most of it away. 

Have always loved halibut , and decided that I also love sablefish and even enjoy the Petrale sole.   

Since the first delivery  I've order more halibut, sablefish and Petrale sole. As well as Spot Prawns.   Through out the last few months, I've ordered more portions of frozen halibut and sablefish as well as 5lbs of fresh halibut and fresh Petrale sole. I'm well stocked at the moment.   During the short Spot Prawn season, they even delivered live prawns. Also ordered Hokkaido sea scallops for Moe. He loves scallops and I don't.   Apparently these are sushi quality. 

On work nights it makes for a quick dinner to pull fish, prawns or scallops out of the freezer.

They are now offering a monthly subscription box for $149.00.   You can choose five options and you save about $50.00.   Doesn't work for me because going forward I'm sticking to just ordering halibut, sablefish and when available prawns and more scallops for Moe.  

The deliver service is amazing.  And they have been so successful that they expanded their delivery service from down Island over to the mainland.