• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery Mushrooms

tupac17616

I'm sort of a novice when it comes to recognizing different mushroom varieties. My favorite two varieties are morels and Hen of the Woods mushrooms. Those I can spot a mile away. And of course, I know the basic portabello, cremini, etc. But when it comes to blue oyster, maitake, matsutake, hon-shemeji, porcini, and so on, I begin to get a little lost trying to keep them all straight.

So anyway, I was at the store today, looking for some mushrooms, and I notice most of the mushroom bins are not labeled. So I picked up about a few of these mushrooms, thinking (and hoping) they were porcini. I don't think I've had porcini before, but I know they're fairly rare and supposedly quite delicious. So I picked the nearest label, "Bulk Cremini Mushrooms", paid my $1.38, and was on my way. (Dishonest, I know :unsure: ).

Here they are:

gallery_18974_1420_148175.jpg

Are these porcini mushrooms? Or am I mistaken, and they are actually something else?

If they are porcini, then now what? What are some nice ways to prepare them? Dice them? Slice them? Saute with olive oil? With butter? Pan roast? Grill? Oven roast? Throw a little wine their way, and let them take a bath in it? Add a little balsamic into the mix? Use them to stuff ravioli? Toss with fresh homemade pasta? Use to make a few panini? Just enjoy them on their own? What to do, people, what to do? :wacko:

Please, oh wise eGullet-ers, clear up this little mushroom mystery of mine and lead me to the land of good eats. :biggrin:

Edited by tupac17616 (log)

Hen of the Woods mushrooms

I have no idea what those are but WHERE do you find the 'Hen of the Woods' ? I think these were the mushrooms of my youth, collected from the wild by my Czech grandparents in Pennsylvania ! I knew them as 'Sheepshead' mushrooms and they were SO good !

Kathy

Are these porcini mushrooms?  Or am I mistaken, and they are actually something else?

If they are porcini, then now what?

Looks like porcini to me -- they're otherwise known as cèpes in France and "king boletes" in other places (their scientific name being Boletus edulis).

About.com's Italian food section has some information on cooking porcini and a couple of recipes.

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

Those are porcini, you lucky, lucky >mutters<.

Grill them or pan sear them over very high heat and toss with arugula, lemon juice, and shaved parmigiano or young pecorino cheese.

Edit: They're quite flavorful, so treat them simply. If you have enough, I'd toss them with fresh pasta and butter, after sauteing them in olive oi and garlic.

Edited by Kevin72 (log)

Hen of the Woods mushrooms

I have no idea what those are but WHERE do you find the 'Hen of the Woods' ? I think these were the mushrooms of my youth, collected from the wild by my Czech grandparents in Pennsylvania ! I knew them as 'Sheepshead' mushrooms and they were SO good !

Kathy

Hi Kathy. I did a quick Google search, and those are indeed the ones! Check it out:

The most prominent edible fungus found was Grifola frondosa, the

hen-of-the-woods, or sheepshead, as they call it in the east.  I prefer

that name as there are already too many chickens and hens and such as

common names for fungi.  In any case, several large specimens of the

mushroom were found, including one over 10 lbs!

I've got to agree with you. They are absolutely delicious. I've only had them a few times. The first time, I had them at Craft restaurant in New York City, then again at Hearth restaurant also in NYC, and at a few other restaurants as well. Since then, I've seen them fairly often in markets both in New York and here at home in Texas, although I've yet to prepare them at home. I would imagine that if you weren't able to find them in a local market, that you could order them from an online source. Maybe some other eGullet-ers can chime in and suggest a specific website or two. I wish you the best of luck in your search for these delicious 'shrooms :smile:

When I was a kid, my family would get together every Sunday for dinner at my grandparents in Western PA, and if they had found some the adults would all be gatherd in the kitchen, with the smell of butter, onions and mushrooms filling the air....saying to every kid who passed by, "No, you wouldn't like these ! They taste AWFUL !" HAH ! :wink:

evongvisith: Thanks for the helpful info and the link! :smile:

Kevin72: Thanks for the tips. And by the way, I love the thread about your "Year of Italian Cooking". Your knowledge of Italian cuisine is really quite amazing. Keep up the good (and delicious looking :cool: ) work!

dockhl: Heh heh. :biggrin: Loved the story. The adults, of course, must have been just trying to "protect" you from these nasty mushrooms. I'm sure that was their only intention :wink:

Edited by tupac17616 (log)