• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Bakeries

zhelder

Do you mean Biscotti Regina? The item in question was mentioned as being good for dipping in coffee and like a biscuit. These guys are all covered in sesame seeds, so do we have a winner? ;)

But speaking of bakeries, I was told Rispoli in Ridgefield was good, particularly their cannolis. I was madly craving some so hiked down to get a few plus some sfogliatelle which I also love. I was kinda disappointed. The cannoli's tasted really fried so I tried to lick the cream out but that was just a mess and it wasn't the same obvoiusly. The sfogliatelle was really dense and not particularly flaky despite its looks. The candied fruit was barely detectable flavor wise though clearly there was plenty. Has anyone else had issues there? I'd gone first thing in the morning so it's not like it was old goods. My source hadn't been there in 7 years so maybe their quality has changed since? And to stay on topic, is this a good cheap bakery? =)

Do you mean Biscotti Regina? The item in question was mentioned as being good for dipping in coffee and like a biscuit.  These guys are all covered in sesame seeds, so do we have a winner? ;)

We do! We do! Thanks SO much...I've never known the name of them, but the description always gets me an instant yes or no in a bakery. :biggrin: And they're good with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cappucino, milk...

Of course, now I think I'm going to have to stop in to the Lyndhurst Bake Shop tomorrow. Thanks for THAT. :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."