• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbie's barbie chain to get its day in court

carswell

The famous plastic doll and her maker, Mattel Inc., is doing battle with a Quebec restaurateur who named his eateries "Barbie's." The Supreme Court decided yesterday to hear the case along with a similar trademark tangle between champagne giant Veuve Clicquot and an Ontario boutique owner.

Spiro Christopoulos, who owns the four Montreal-area "Barbie's Bar and Grill" locations, is confident he'll win in the end but said his fight hasn't come cheap. He has spent more than $200,000 on the 11-year legal war.

- http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/...058109-sun.html

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_i...99671&area=news

What I'd like to know is whether there are any Barbie dolls or posters in the restaurants. If there are, I think Mattel should win, because the Barbie paraphernalia would show that the chain is trading on the name of the doll. If not, I hope Mattel loses, because "Barbie" just means "Barbecue" in (e.g.) Australian lingo.

I also think that Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin should lose their case against a clothing firm calling itself "Cliquot," unless they're putting out clothing with champagne themes or something. I don't know what Canadian law is on this, but in the U.S., if your company is clearly in a different industry and therefore isn't likely to cause confusion with another of the same name, you are generally home free. I cite the example of Century 21, a major real estate broker, and the unrelated discount clothing store of the same name on Cortlandt St. and Church in lower Manhattan.

Michael aka "Pan"

Wholly suburban, it turns out. Off the beaten path for a downtowner like me. Anybody here been?

Barbie's

15, boulevard Bouchard

Dorval, QC H9S 5X2

7660, boulevard Newman

Lasalle, QC H8N 1X8

580, boulevard Saint-Martin ouest

Chomedey, QC H7M 3Y2

7850, boulevard Taschereau

Brossard, QC J4X 1C2

I have been dragged to one (Lasalle) - group thing and I wasn't the one driving. Chicken and ribs as I recall and not a wholly memorable experience though I'd peg some of that on the group and not necessarily on Barbie's.

Definitely NO Barbie Doll links. Barbies, the restaurant is a a sports bar. The concept is the same in both Brossard and Dorval (have not been to Lasalle) - unlimited bowls of popcorn, big screen TV's, free refills on soft drinks, huge portions (that would certainly not allow Barbie, the doll to keep her figure!). I think that Mattel is just wasting court time on this one!