• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rotisserie Chicken Taste-Off

fifi

<snip> if I have freezer room, the carcass goes into a baggie and stored there. When I have collected two or more carcasses I have enough for a small batch of rich stock for soup or dumplings.    <snip>

Okay, I have two carcasses in the freezer....how does one go about making this rich stock? I've made chicken stock from like neckbones and such many times, but never from a carcass. Is the process the same? Do you still add veggie trimmings, or just boil up the bones? And is the richness coming from letting the broth reduce a lot, or is there something about the already cooked rotisserie chicken carcasses that makes the bones breakdown and unleash their flavors better?

Thanks!

Just make it the same, my guess is it will be better than having neck bones.

<snip> if I have freezer room, the carcass goes into a baggie and stored there. When I have collected two or more carcasses I have enough for a small batch of rich stock for soup or dumplings.    <snip>

Okay, I have two carcasses in the freezer....how does one go about making this rich stock? I've made chicken stock from like neckbones and such many times, but never from a carcass. Is the process the same? Do you still add veggie trimmings, or just boil up the bones? And is the richness coming from letting the broth reduce a lot, or is there something about the already cooked rotisserie chicken carcasses that makes the bones breakdown and unleash their flavors better?

Thanks!

What works best for me is baking the carcass before proceeding with the stock. That imparts a lovely dark color and enriches the taste. The stock is then made with the carcass and water, adding sliced carrots and celery; I like to throw in a little curry to bring out the flavor of the chicken. Bring the water to just under boil, partially cover, and let it all simmer for several hours, tasting as you go.