• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Cafe Live

TarteTatin

I searched for the thread that I thought I saw previously, but alas!

10 of us are going to a concert end of June at World Cafe Live.

Wondering whether we should travel from Penne there, or just eat at the venue.

We'll probably only have about an hour to eat, its a "school night" and most can't get to west Philly after work until 6:00/6:15. Concert starts at 7:30.

Maybe Penne hanging around the bar and just having apps?

Not really into La Terrasse, White Dog, Nan, etc. anymore. Rx means we have to park twice.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts on World Cafe Food?

Philly Francophiles

Penne is pretty decent, but be warned that the service can sometimes be glacial (at least at lunch; don't know about dinner).

Since the WXPN studios are right on the bridge, why not head somewhere on the western edge of Center City? Bistro St. Tropez wouldn't be any farther than Nan (though I'm not sure how long a dinner there takes.) Maybe Mama Palma's? It's fast and good, and probably only a 15 minute walk away.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Penne is pretty decent, but be warned that the service can sometimes be glacial (at least at lunch; don't know about dinner).

Since the WXPN studios are right on the bridge, why not head somewhere on the western edge of Center City?  Bistro St. Tropez wouldn't be any farther than Nan (though I'm not sure how long a dinner there takes.)  Maybe Mama Palma's?  It's fast and good, and probably only a 15 minute walk away.

I suspect that BST would be significantly closer than Nan. But I think as far as location convenience, the closest other than World Cafe itself would probably be Ecco Qui, at 32nd and Chestnut. Haven't heard enough to say anything good or bad about it. It's Italian, and owned (I think) by the same guy who owns the Allegro pizza chain.

Other than those, what about someplace in 30th St. station? There's a Delilah's (BBQ) and a few other places, including a bar named Bridgewater's. And there's also the trucks across Market in front of the Post Office, if it's nice weather and you can find a place inside the 30th St. food court.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

We'll probably only have about an hour to eat, its a "school night" and most can't get to west Philly after work until 6:00/6:15. Concert starts at 7:30.

Not really into La Terrasse, White Dog, Nan, etc. anymore. Rx means we have to park twice.

For what it's worth, Rx now has (free) parking, in a lot across the street, so you'd only have to find parking once. Marigold Kitchen is fairly easy parking, particularly when Penn is not in session. I haven't eaten at World Cafe myself, but several people I know have suffered separate disappointments there.

Your play.

I ate at the cafe beforehand and realized that you can eat at your table downstairs before the show. That would have been nicer. The food is decent - not extraordinary by any stretch but it's not fast food basura either. If I went back I would still eat there but go right down to the venue to do it. It would tie into the whole experience. I can't remember what I had for the life of me.

Having said that, I agree there are plenty of places in West Philly and even center city that are closer and have better food.

Enjoy. It's a really nice place to listen to music.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I just ate there last night, and I'll second what Shacke said: it was fine, but not a dining destination in and of itself.

I ate at a table in the venue, and other than sitting for an hour in a less-than-full venue before actually being able to order, which meant that my food came as the band come on stage (and the lights went down pretty low...) it was pretty convenient to just eat there rather than trying to jam something in before or after. Fried calamari was decent, a "Black and Blue" salad with grilled beef (not even vaguely resembling "blackened" as billed) with blue cheese on mesclun greens was pleasant, but nothing exciting. (The first brew pub out at the King of Prussia Mall, of all places, used to make something similar to this that was actually quite tasty, so I though it might be easy to get right...)

All in all, I'd recommend eating there if it's convenient, you can find something decent on the smallish menu at not outrageous prices. But if you have time and want an actually interesting meal, go somewhere else before or after.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Ecco Qui is fine. It's very convenient. Decent pizza and salads and stuff. Maybe a tad better than World Cafe's menu (and definitely cheaper and better service) but nothing worth going to in and off itself. I have no idea how the sushi place in the Left Bank building is; that's also right there.

If you stick with World Cafe (which is a reasonable, if not exciting option), I suggest ordering simple. Given the time constraints of running so many meals at once, the more elaborate meals tend to be disappointing. The sandwiches, fries, salads, appetizers, have been pretty good. And the desserts are pretty good.

White Dog is not my favorite but is some people's. La Terrace is pretty good. Both are better than World Cafe, and you could park 1 time, if you're not wearing heels, and get from your car both to those places and to World Cafe. They're maybe 3.5 blocks away.

Marigold and Rx are much better, in my opinion, than any of the above options, but are also farther away. (Rx is just getting better and better, I think. We had a dinner the other night that was notably better than our other--very fine--dinner experiences.) Zocalo is closer to World Cafe than Rx or Marigold is, but is too far to walk, probably. A decent semi-gourmet Mexican.

Pod is about 5.5 blocks from World Cafe, in the back side basically of the hotel building that houses Penne on the front, and it's an interesting place, if that's your scene. Nan is very good and much quieter, but is closer to 9-10 blocks.

I'm no particular fan of Penne, and would put it below most of the other options I named, but other people, I know, feel different.

I just ate there last night, and I'll second what Shacke said: it was fine, but not a dining destination in and of itself.

I ate at a table in the venue, and other than sitting for an hour in a less-than-full venue before actually being able to order, which meant that my food came as the band come on stage (and the lights went down pretty low...) it was pretty convenient to just eat there rather than trying to jam something in before or after. Fried calamari was decent, a "Black and Blue" salad with grilled beef (not even vaguely resembling "blackened" as billed) with blue cheese on mesclun greens was pleasant, but nothing exciting. (The first brew pub out at the King of Prussia Mall, of all places, used to make something similar to this that was actually quite tasty, so I though it might be easy to get right...) 

All in all, I'd recommend eating there if it's convenient, you can find something decent on the smallish menu at not outrageous prices.  But if you have time and want an actually interesting meal, go somewhere else before or after.

I've eaten at the World Cafe Live just once and decided it is a great venue for music lovers to catch great music, not a dining destination.

• 1 month later...

Well, we ate at Bridgewater's Pub in 30th St. station.

Look under that title for our thoughts...

We had Desserts and cocktails at World Cafe.

Creme Brulee that was a hit, Coconut Tart with almonds and carmelized pineapple, topped with vanilla ice cream--very nice! Served warm.

Cocktails included:

Someone had a Singapore Sling, a Grasshopper, Harvey Wallbangers were delicious. Someone had a Cosmopolitan, a Lemon Drop Martini, etc.

We had a bottle of wine, the list was just okay, we ended up with a Bonny Doon Dry Riesling for $36, not much in that price range.

FYI, the band was incredible! Look up PinkMartini.com

They are just excellent!

They were opening the next day for David Byrne, and the Boston Pops soon.

Although they are from Portland, Oregon, we discovered them in France, they are a big hit there.

They sing in French, Portugese, Italian, Croatian, Japanese, Spanish, English, with a lot of big band salsa influence.

Sorry to go off on that, but it was super!

Philly Francophiles