• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best garlic dish in Vancouver?

I remember the menu at Wild Garlic on Broadway did some interesting things with garlic including desserts with chocolate and garlic.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

A craving for garlic? Hmm, why don't you just head for the nearest Korean restaurant? If you're unusually lucky, you might even get pickled garlic as one of the side-dishes! :raz:

I just had dinner at Golden Szechun (Broadway and Burrad). Sichuan cuisine, as we all know, makes liberal use of garlic. Among the many garlicky dishes I had tonight was the "Zhong's Dumpling" (钟水饺)which literally has a layer of garlic covering it. The neat thing is that, after whatever they have done to the garlic, it is no longer aggressive, but is subtly sweet and fragrant. It's there but it's not really there; you think it's not there but it sneaks up on you. The aroma is going to haunt me all night, I am sure.

And spare Count Dracula a visit...

These are great tips! Keep them coming! :wink:

Hm....Spaghettini Aglio e Olio.....May just have to fix the craving quickly with it!

That Zhong's Dumpling sounds fabulous too....

And who could forget the garlic squid - delicioius - good call! (I forgot of course.)

Wild garlic? I haven't tried it. Any further comments on it?

Cheers!

Italian cooking uses garlic more as a perfume than a dominant flavour. My pick for best use of garlic (although as noted I am also addicted to the squid at Phnom Penh) would go to Pino Posteraro for his rotisserie chicken—slices of garlic are placed under the skin of the bird.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The Alaskan King Crab at Sun Sui Wah is bathed in garlic as part of their house garlic sauce. The dish has really, really strong aromas.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Re: Wild Garlic on Broadway and Arbutus - I haven't been for a couple of years but I remember an unctious garlic/camembert fondue with whole pieces of carmelized garlic floating in it. The rest of the food was, meh, nothing special, but certainly garlicky. They've also opened on Denman street as well. Anyone checked it out recently?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

The Alaskan King Crab at Sun Sui Wah is bathed in garlic as part of their house garlic sauce. The dish has really, really strong aromas.

We enjoyed a King Crab at Pink Pearl. This thing was so big we asked that half be cooked in their House Garlic Sauce and half in their black bean sauce.

The Garlic Sauce was much tastier out of the two and we both stunk of garlic for a few days.

Does anyone have a recipe for the garlic sauce and how they deep fry the crabs? I'd like to try doing this at home with some Large Dungeness I saw at T&T.

Also, every few days or so a duck into our fridge and chomp on a few pieces of spicy pickled garlic. It never fails to scratch my itch for garlic in a pinch.

This thread has prompted me to remember a sauce that we had at Mona's Lebanese restaurant last year for Ian's birthday. To be quite honest, I can't remember the exact dish in question as there were about 10 platters on the table, but they brought us a small bowl full of a white sauce to spoon on top of our meat. After taking the first bite, we soon discovered that it was pretty much straight pureed garlic mixed with a bit of lemon and other spices for flavour. And, damn, was it ever good. I think we polished off about two more bowls of the sauce, and our entire table reeked by the end of the night. But it was more than worth it.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I second (or third) Wild Garlic - your best bet is their weekend Garlic Brunch, which is (or at least was) all-you-can-eat for $20 or so per person. They did have that rich garlic fondue, so sweet and garlicky we ordered two. I've been to the Wild Garlic on Denman, and found it to be less focused on the stinking rose than the Broadway location.

Also try the skordalia dip at Parthenon on W. Broadway, there's enough garlic in there to sink a small dinghy.

Last, but not least, check out the selection of products from Oddball Organics (www.oddballorganics.com), who specialize in garlicked hot sauces.

• 3 weeks later...
Re: Wild Garlic on Broadway and Arbutus - I haven't been for a couple of years but I remember an unctious garlic/camembert fondue with whole pieces of carmelized garlic floating in it.  The rest of the food was, meh, nothing special, but certainly garlicky.  They've also opened on Denman street as well.  Anyone checked it out recently?

Last Thursday (I think :wacko: ) We met some friends at the W. Broadway Wild Garlic. Have to say we we're really happy with everything we ate. Yummy and I arrived a bit late, but we we're able to still taste the Candied Roasted Garlic Appetizer that was ordered. Wow that was tasty.

For a special that night, Tenderloin of Ostrich was available. Had to try this. It was served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and some Green Beans. I had never eaten Ostrich prepared this way and hands down I though it was delicious. Very Tender on the inside, braised on the outside, served with a Red Wine sauce.

As an added bonus we're able to use our Entertainment Book Coupon which made this meal an outstanding value.

I would like to go back for the Garlic Brunch and try some of their other items.

Re: Wild Garlic on Broadway and Arbutus - I haven't been for a couple of years but I remember an unctious garlic/camembert fondue with whole pieces of carmelized garlic floating in it.  The rest of the food was, meh, nothing special, but certainly garlicky.  They've also opened on Denman street as well.  Anyone checked it out recently?

Last Thursday (I think :wacko: ) We met some friends at the W. Broadway Wild Garlic. Have to say we we're really happy with everything we ate. Yummy and I arrived a bit late, but we we're able to still taste the Candied Roasted Garlic Appetizer that was ordered. Wow that was tasty.

For a special that night, Tenderloin of Ostrich was available. Had to try this. It was served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and some Green Beans. I had never eaten Ostrich prepared this way and hands down I though it was delicious. Very Tender on the inside, braised on the outside, served with a Red Wine sauce.

As an added bonus we're able to use our Entertainment Book Coupon which made this meal an outstanding value.

I would like to go back for the Garlic Brunch and try some of their other items.

Glad to hear that the food was so good at the Wild Garlic. Must go back and try them again. The last time I was there, as I said, was a couple of years ago, and I honestly couldn't remember anything other than the garlic fondue!! Yum . . .

Thanks for the update.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine