• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Style Curry

Hi, I'm interested in the different types of curries around the world. There are so many different recipes and I've tasted just Japanese varieties. Does anybody have information on Korean curries and any recipes? I'm not sure but is it similar to Japanese curry? Thanks.

Korean style curry is made from the same mix as Japanese style curry. S&B or Vermont House curry mixes. Although I have to say most 'Korean' curries I've had are pretty straight forward with just beef or chicken, potatoes, carrots and onions. The Japanese get more creative. There is a thread in the Japanese forum covering this as well as a bit of info regarding how this type of curry made it Japan. As far as how it got to Korea, well we got it from the Japanese.

I make it at home with chicken by boiling a whole chicken first, taking the meat of the bones and shredding with my hands and using the cooking liquid as a base.

Ah, okay.  Thanks so much for the information.  Yeah, I read some of the Japanese curry thread.  Are there any Korean curry mix brands or just Japanese ones?

Yes there are some Korean brands. I'll get the names sometime this week. Come to think of it I don't know if they are available in the States. Anyway, I'll get some info back to you this week.

Btw, Arab traders made it to Korea. :smile:

Hi, thank you! That would be a great help. Yeah, that is so cool that Arab traders made it to Korea. I am very interested in the Islamic interaction with east Asian countries such as China, Korea, and Japan. The Japanese interaction with Islam in those times was probably little to none at all but there were a few dozen Japanese government and military officials that converted to Islam during World War 2. Some soldiers converted to Islam and began working on Islamic-Japanese relations. Others converted when Japan had occupied Muslim-dominated Malaysia, Indonesia, and China. The Prophet Muhammad (saw) once sent an envoy in an attempt to convert a Chinese emperor. He didn't convert but he did build several masjid (mosques) in Muhammad's (saw) honor. Islam also flourished in medieval Chinait's said that some of the rulers were Muslims that concealed their religious identity. I was once told that a band of ronin traveling by boat had gotten shipwrecked and ended up in Saudi Arabia. When they arrived in Saudi Arabia, the Arabs who were ignorant of Japan thought of them as Chinese. I was also told that there are a few descendants of these Japanese still living in Saudi Arabia. Japan hadn't had much contact with other countries for many centuries, besides occasional trade and conflict with China and Korea. Several Japanese Buddhist monks did go to India in order to study Sanskrit in order to write down the Buddhist scriptures. I'd like to learn more about Okinawa and study some of the language. They had their own kingdom and now some Okinawans are vying for indepence from Japan. China can be thanked for Japanese adopting kanji. Korea is the "father" of Japanese culture so to speak. Korea laid the foundation for the development of Japanese culture. Korean farmers that settled on Japan centuries ago introduced rice culture and influenced language, religion, that would later be modified over the centuries to form a seperate identity. Okinawa on the other hand had heavy interaction with both China and Korea (it was a big center of trade) and wasn't closed off to interaction with other cultures like Japan. Islam is now the fastest growing religion around the world and it's growing fast in Korea. There is actually even an old Muslim community in Korea that dates back several centuries. Check this site out. It has lots of information on Islam in Korea in both Hangul and English.

Edited by halalsushi (log)

Korean curry

This is the brand that came to mind yesterday, but I wanted to be certain. Korea became industrialized later than Japan for historical reasons I won't get into. I think this company began in the late 60's or early 70's.

My husband used to get all of his meat from a Halal butcher in Korea for a restaurant he ran that was also a French/European chef hangout. He eventually hooked up the butcher with all the chefs he knew. They mostly ran the big hotel kitches.

He made the butcher very, very happy needless to say.

I haven't studied the history of Arabs in Korea so much, there isn't that much information out there. But they were there in large (if not significant numbers) to become part of the folklore in certain regions. The story in my family is that my mother side possible has some mixture way back when. Lots of family members with large eyes and more angular features and a tendency to have curly hair. Although the curly hair can also come from the Mongolian line in Korean history. As for an Arab culinary influence in Korea is concerned, it's hard to say. I'm inclined to say that it has to with bringing certain ingredients into the country. But that's a huge historical ball of wax to get into...

I've gone for the S&B. It is "refrigerator magnet". I throw what ever I have sitting in the Fridge. I get the hot variety. I've tried other varieties but I think the S&B is the best.

I also think the curry tastes better the next day after the flavors have mingled a bit.

Soup

Thanks for the website, I think I'll try this curry to see how it tastes. Soup, that's quite true. Sometimes curry does taste better when it's flavor develops more. Just heat it again on the skillet and it's as fresh as before. Yeah, in my family history, I think I can trace possible Spanish descent. My maternal great-grandmother who is Japanese had large eyes and looked Spanish and so did her siblings. She and her family were Catholics, which was very rare in Japan.