• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dim Sum in Vancouver?

Spesh

I myself am no expert with dim sum other than knowing what I like and/or am adventurous enough to try, but my step-grandmother is Chinese and I've taken her recently for dim sum at Sun Sui Wah. She seemed rather dismissive of its quality, and insisted our next dim sum be at Pink Pearl, which was also great, to my inexperienced palate. She rated it moons and stars above Sun Sui Wah, while I didn't see a huge difference. Where do you rate Pink Pearl?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I myself am no expert with dim sum other than knowing what I like and/or am adventurous enough to try, but my step-grandmother is Chinese and I've taken her recently for dim sum at Sun Sui Wah.  She seemed rather dismissive of its quality, and insisted our next dim sum be at Pink Pearl, which was also great, to my inexperienced palate.  She rated it moons and stars above Sun Sui Wah, while I didn't see a huge difference.  Where do you rate Pink Pearl?

To be honest, my first and only dining experience at Pink Pearl was underwhelming. We had heard a lot about it from co-workers, so my wife and I decided to check it out one day. The selection was fairly standard and the food was cold to lukewarm. What did it for my wife, however, was the lipstick stain on her teacup.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

N and I hit up Sun Sui Wah on Saturday for a CNY celebratory dim sum. I do like it, but I also agree that part of it is because of the nostalgia factor WRT the carts. A la carte ordering results in much better quality dim sum; otherwise, the carts are a real hit or miss thing for the most part. Dough tends to get mushy in the steamers over time, and similarly fried items get too oily.

Having said that, SSW has a pretty high turnover so it is one of the better cart options IMO. And they do the good fried squid and mango darned tarts. That and proximity lead to it being one of our go-to places for dim sum. (Other is Red Star on the real South Granville, ie Granville @ 63rd.)

I've never been to Pink Pearl for dim sum so I can't put it into context.

What did it for my wife, however, was the lipstick stain on her teacup.

I'm not surprised about that. I've heard less-than-stellar things about the kitchen from people who worked there.

Our family went to Pink Pearl all the time when I was a kid because it was close to our church. I don't think the dishes are anything special.

I didn't see the bill because my step-grandmother paid at Pink Pearl - wondering if she's a fan because of the price point?? She's big on cheap . . .

I find Imperial more impressive myself . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I've only been to the Pink Pearl twice. Once for a post funeral luncheon and once on the night I went into labour with my son. I swear it was the sight of a scurrying rodent in the bathroom that brought on my labour pains. Unless it were life or death, I wouldn't go back. :wink:

I LOVE DimSum :wub: !!!! The few years after High School it was a weekly thing for me.

As for restaurants, I am a little biased and prefer Imperial for their view, service and fresh ingredient. A friend’s family owns it, so it was always the best service but as mentioned its always the same service there for everyone. They also where ranked in the top 10 places for a power lunch downtown last year I believe.

Next would be Sun Sui Wah in Richmond since another friends uncle owns it, I haven’t been to the other ones. Once again great service, food but that’s what you would expect when the owner or manager are the only one that serves you. They have always been willing to bring a couple items that were not been on the dim sum menu. Plus its in Richmond that’s a plus for me.

Now for two other places that I liked, but I cant remember their names.

-There is a large place near Richmond Sushi with a huge chandelier that’s pretty good and cheap but nice and clean inside. Its called _____________ seafood restaurant.

-Then there is another restaurant to the right of Parker Place in Richmond, its on the pricier side but their Shark Fin dumpling soup is awesome, I think it was around $10 we each had 2 =). The restaurant had a few different levels with the lower level being the nicest, but it was all larger families and very casual. Even though they comped our tea they normally charge $2-5 for each.

sharkfin.JPGtable2.JPG

1. Shark Fin Soup Dumpling. 2. 1/3 of our dish's, we ende dup with almost 20 plates. There were 3 of us :raz:

Edited by D90 (log)

We enjoy Sun Sui Wah for the variety offered, but the cart service can produce inconsistent results. If you have the misfortune of being seated off in a corner or in a separate room (both branches have one or more), you can get the dregs. One way to beat the system is to take only those items that look like they are fresh from the kitchen and then specially order others. Some items -- like the pot stickers only come if you order them directly anyway. Others, are passed around by the waiters in much smaller quantities and stay hot/fresh.

Although we frequent SSW's two branches, on the whole, the quality of the dim sume is best at places that do not have carts. We are particularly fond of Jade in Richmond and the Richmond branch of Kirin for their dim sum. The Kirin also regularly changes its dim sum list, which provides variety, despite the fact that the selection at any one time is not enormous.

Now for two other places that I liked, but I cant remember their names.

-There is a large place near Richmond Sushi with a huge chandelier that’s pretty good and cheap but nice and clean inside. Its called _____________ seafood restaurant.

-Then there is another restaurant to the right of Parker Place in Richmond, its on the pricier side but their Shark Fin dumpling soup is awesome, I think it was around $10 we each had 2 =).  The restaurant had a few different levels with the lower level being the nicest, but it was all larger families and very casual. Even though they comped our tea they normally charge $2-5 for each.

I think it's called Gala seafood restaurant - it used to be called Gar Lok and was located on Granville & 41st in Vancouver (you had to go downstairs).

The restaurant in Parker Place is called Floata, I believe. I haven't been for dim sum there in a long time. $5 per person for tea is really expensive!! I've been to a couple of restaurants where everybody gets individual tea vessels (what's it called in English?) and you get to choose the type of tea you want. It gets messy though - I haven't quite mastered the art of pouring the tea out of those things with the lid on but tilted and with your finger pressed firmly on the lid. I haven't been to any dim sum restaurant where they charged $5 for the tea yet!

<snip>

We are particularly fond of Jade in Richmond and the Richmond branch of Kirin for their dim sum.  The Kirin also regularly changes its dim sum list, which provides variety, despite the fact that the selection at any one time is not enormous.

Peter - I agree with Kirin in Richmond. Had dim sum there last month and it was very good, but a particular standout was the nor mai fan (sticky or glutenous rice, not to be confused with nor mai gai which is the sticky rice wrapped in the leaves and steamed). A dish that I love, and order somewhat regularly, this one was the best I've had in recent memory. Generous portion to boot. Link to post here.

The very best lor mai fan I've had is at Silver Palace - not dim sum, but hey. It's got dried prawns ("ha gon" as opposed to the tiny dried shrimp, "ha mai"), Chinese sausage (can't remember if there's also liver sausage, "yun cheung", in it as well), and preserved meat ("lap yook")! The rice is just the right texture - not overcooked, and you can see each grain of rice. 2 weeks ago I saw a group of Caucasians there (first time)!

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the cart vs. a la carte debate frequently with friends and I have to say that I like the carts for a number of reasons including the fact that there is always something new and different that I wouldn't know how to ever order, but when they lift the lid and the flavours waft up, I'm always keen to try. With that as the intro, I have to say Sun Sui Wah is my hands down favourite. Over the holidays, I was probably there every day for a week and had a different dim sum combination daily depending on who I was dining with. I also really like Imperial. As a family standby, Flamingo on Cambie (not the Fraser one) is popular with the parents, but we have stayed away from Pink Pearl since a bad last visit a few years ago. I keep hearing about these $2 per dim sum basket places, but have been a little too scared to try them.

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Having grown up eating dim sum virtually every weekend, I'd have to say the better places I've been to in the last while are:

- Spicy Court , Cambie & 41st

- Gingeri, at Lansdowne Shopping Centre

- Kirin, Richmond ... I don't like the Cambie (slow service) or Alberni (not a fan of Northern Chinese dim sum) locations

- Jade (Restaurant?) on Alexandra Rd.

- Fortune House at Metrotown

I've also heard very good things about Fisherman's Terrace at Aberdeen, but I haven't been to that restaurant since its old location at the London Drugs on No.3 & Westminster.

Mind you, most of the above places serve dim sum a la carte. No carts, so it is challenging to order for those who are linguistically challenged.

I do agree w/ above posts though that for places that still have the rolling carts, Sun Sui Wah on Main St. is by far a better choice than most.

Floata I find is ... very average. They charge above-average prices for run of the mill dim sum. Not a lot of creativity and the portion sizes fairly average.

What I wish for is a high-end dim sum restaurant of the likes of Lai Wah Heen in Toronto's Metropolitan Hotel. (http://www.metropolitan.com/lwh/) A friend and I went there a few months ago when I was there on business, and while you might balk at the prices (on average of $4.50 per piece of dim sum ... so $18 for 4 pieces), the sheer amount of creativity placed into making the dishes unique is well worth the expense.

I was in Richmond for a couple of client meetings and went and tried Jade on Alexandra - I fould it quite good indeed.

They are very imaginative on applying cooking techniques in new ways. Daikon cake is cubed then fried lightly - so that you get a higher proportion of crispy skin to creamy interior. They had a scallop/pea tips dumpling that was excellent, a very good sticky rice, and a truly tasty stirred fried baby bak choy with garlic. The last dish really had nice seasoning and 'wok hai' or 'breath of the wok' which means that the wok used was very hot so that they food was cooked quickly and the innate freshness of the food was preserved. It indicates good kitchen skills that could translate to an excellent dinner. Has anyone been?

Not cheap dim sum place - lunch for 5 added up about $105. They are having a special on fresh alaskan king crab - steamed with chopped garlic - for $13.88 a pound. A table for two beside us had a 8 pound crab - I think served in two courses - the legs steamed, then the body made into a soup. It looked good.

I would say Jade, Kirin Richmond, and Gingeri are all pretty close in quality - all excellent. Really - you would have to go somewhere really expensive - even in HK to match this quality.

Lower on the totem pole would be Shiang Garden and Kirin Cambie. All of these places are a la carte though.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

After reading Canucklehead's last post, my wife and I headed off for dim sum to Gingeri in Richmond this morning -- we are regulars (as much as one can be as part time Vancouver residents) at Jade and Kirin Richmond. The dim sum at Gingeri could have been the best we've had in the last year. Thanks, Canucklehead, for the steer -- we never would have identified the place on our own. Keep those reports coming!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

What's the best dim sum closest to YVR that's open around 9:30 or 10 on Saturdays?

I'll be arriving around 9, and if my aunt is willing, I want one final dim sum extravaganza before returning to Japan. I will probably need to be back at the airport by noon (I'm hoping Korean Air will let me check in super early, but if not I have to be back by 12).

What's the best dim sum closest to YVR that's open around 9:30 or 10 on Saturdays?

I'll be arriving around 9, and if my aunt is willing, I want one final dim sum extravaganza before returning to Japan.  I will probably need to be back at the airport by noon (I'm hoping Korean Air will let me check in super early, but if not I have to be back by 12).

Viva City and Jade along Alexandra Rd are open at 9:00am.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

I'll be arriving around 9, and if my aunt is willing, I want one final dim sum extravaganza before returning to Japan.  I will probably need to be back at the airport by noon (I'm hoping Korean Air will let me check in super early, but if not I have to be back by 12).

Have you tried either/both of them? Just wondering if you have a preference for either, and if either serves hom soi gok (often called "deep fried Chinese perogies). It's my favourite, and I'm going to try to bring an order of that and maybe cha siu bao along on the flight. And maybe some cocktail buns if I can get some. :-)

Have you tried either/both of them? Just wondering if you have a preference for either, and if either serves hom soi gok (often called "deep fried Chinese perogies). It's my favourite, and I'm going to try to bring an order of that and maybe cha siu bao along on the flight. And maybe some cocktail buns if I can get some. :-)

I have been to both a number of times - I was at Viva City just a couple of weeks ago actually. My preference is to Jade. I don't recall for sure seeing hom sui gok (deep-fried filled glutinous rice dumplings correct?), but it isn't something I usually order. It's pretty common so it is likely that both will have it. (Jade has their menu on their website...I can't check it right now as I am on my iPhone - I can't connect for some reason.)

fmed

Is Empire open that early?  It is located along Alexandra road also.  I have heard good things about them.  People tell me that locals call Alexandra Road "Eating Street" in Chinese.

I don't know - I have only been later in the day there. However, I have been to Viva City and Jade at around 9am. For an even earlier opening time - Imperial Court Beijing is open at 8am. I have had dim sum there at around that time.

(BTW at all these places, certain items are not available until 11am when the kitchen is in full bore.)

fmed

Now I have a list of 4! If only my aunt would get back to me and confirm. :sad:

Well, I could always go by myself. I wouldn't get to eat as much, but I could still get my dim sum!

(Yes, hum soi gok is deep-fried glutinous rice balls, but the savoury one not the sweet one. I think it uses the same dough as red bean sesame balls, or whatever they're called. I love both of them!)