• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver baby Adria?

• 9 months later...

Maclean's Magazine (this is my first look at their new format - Barbara Amiel - ick) has just highlighted some of the molecular chocolate making being done in Richmond BC - by the Dubys.

Some of their flavoring include bonito flakes, cabbage, stilton, paprika, and carrot juice. I think that bonito and stilton would work well... they have a storefront in Steveson - but I am not sure if they sell their works. Has anyone been to the store or tasted these creations?

Here's the article

Edited by canucklehead (log)

^I believe you can get their chocolates (perhaps the less challenging ones) at Urban Fare. They also have a dessert book titled Wild Sweets that I've looked at a number of times, but the recipes are too complicated for me to try at home.  :smile:

You can also get these chocolates at Whole Foods in West Van.

They are interesting but not great.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Stephen

That rather nicely sums up the molecular culinary avant garde. It's like a lot of avant garde art: very interesting, but would you want to have it on your wall and have to live with it? Would you rather put on Mahler - or even the Stones - after a hard day at the office, or a Kurt Schwitters atonal sound poem? I rest my case.

Yes El Bulli is important and interesting for the contribution it makes and the role it plays in pushing the envelope, and if you can you should try to eat there at least once. But my guess is the novelty of the place is probably more of a draw than the "greatness" of the cuisine. When we lived in Europe we met many people who made the pilgrimage to El Bulli once. I haven't met anyone who has made it twice.

The difficulty of getting a table aside, I cannot imagine saying to the missus "Honey let's go to El Bulli tonight, I really feel like some deconstructed south sea scallop foam."

Call me old fashioned.

Stephen

That rather nicely sums up the molecular culinary avant garde. It's like a lot of avant garde art: very interesting, but would you want to have it on your wall and have to live with it? Would you rather put on Mahler - or even the Stones - after a hard day at the office, or a Kurt Schwitters atonal sound poem? I rest my case.

Yes El Bulli is important and interesting for the contribution it makes and the role it plays in pushing the envelope, and if you can you should try to eat there at least once. But my guess is the novelty of the place is probably more of a draw than the "greatness" of the cuisine. When we lived in Europe we met many people who made the pilgrimage to El Bulli once. I haven't met anyone who has made it twice.

The difficulty of getting a table aside, I cannot imagine saying to the missus "Honey let's go to El Bulli tonight, I really feel like some deconstructed south sea scallop foam."

Call me old fashioned.

Helen and I ate there only once, I would like to go again, but it's virtually impossible to get a table. We are however making some El Bulli inspired foams at home including this weekend a blood orange-Sherry foam.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

DC DUBY

Apparently molecular gastronomy is alive and well and living somewhere in Vancouver...

Dominique and Cindy Duby seem to be well on the way to bringing ravioli blobs to the masses. They were featured on Chef at Large on the Food Network the other day. Quite interesting to see what they have come up with.

Above is a little blurb I found that will also lead you to thier website.

edited to add:

I just loaded a little 'Science Kit' video from the website...you can buy a kit that will allow you to try making some of this stuff at home, including little jelly blob thingies - looks like fun. I think Ling is just the gal to try it out and let us know how it works!

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten